• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your favorite War Movie?

Trey of Diamonds

I like a good war movie and with Quentin Tarantino releasing his remake of Inglourious Basterds soon, (trailer), I thought it was time to see what everyone's favorites are. I break mine down by war.

For WWII I'm partial to the Longest Day and Midway. But I also like the Battle of the Bulge and the Dirty Dozen.

For Vietnam my favorite was always a little know film called the Boys in Company C but now I have to go with Mel Gibson's We Were Soldiers.

For the American Civil War it has to be Gettysburg and Gods and Generals. Very well done movies based on great books.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I eagerly anticipate the series of movies about the war on Christmas... "Part II: Santa Strikes Back" :icon_evil

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Heartbreak Ridge/Clint Eastwood
Saving Private Ryan/Tom Hanks
Last of the Mohicans/Daniel Day Lewis

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Usually im having a hard time with declaring only one favorite, of any subject. so I wont ;)

I have visited Normandy some years ago, and saw the scarred earth from the shelling, and paid a visit to the allies cemetery. I will just mention briefly the D Day scene from Saving Private Ryan (Spielberg), the scene is incredibly intense (and graphic).

2006 brought Eastwood's two excellent war movies: Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers.

Trey of Diamonds

Many folks think the boot camp scenes in Full Metal Jacket were some of the best examples of military training but I have always thought it was done much better in the Boys in Company C. The Drill Instructor was the same, R. Lee Ermey, and in this scene he sums up what the whole experience of boot camp is really for. Most movies focus on the process of breaking the boys down but rarely do they show the next step of making them into men.

YouTube - boys in company c

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Wow, how could I forget the Great Escape. I wouldn't say it's my favorite but still a spectacular film. Another I forgot was Kelly's Heroes, I can watch it over and over again.
I never really got into Kelly's Heroes. It struck me more as a caper movie set in a war than an actual war movie.

But for some reason it reminds me of another war movie, one that IMO isn't the best out there but is underrated: A Bridge Too Far.

And I've got a soft spot for Midway, even though when I think about it, it probably isn't really that good a movie.

Also, forget about that Pearl Harbor garbage; if you want a movie about the Pearl Harbor attack instead of a soap opera using the attack as a backdrop, watch Tora! Tora! Tora!

Oh - and I haven't seen Passchendaele yet, but I think it looks like a good film.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh - and there's nothing quite like the World War II movies that were actually made during World War II... for instance, One of Our Aircraft is Missing (which ends with a title card reading "The Netherlands Shall Rise Again!") and The 49th Parallel, a propaganda piece in which a German U-boat sails into Hudson's Bay where it's sunk, and then the crew have to make their way overland across Canada to the "neutral" United States, slaughtering every regional stereotype they meet along the way.