• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whats your beef with brexit?

Altfish

Veteran Member
...so I've ordered an Italian product from a British company, the email confirms the delivery charge as per the website. But then the email also says:

LOCAL TAXES AND DUTIES:
Your order will be subject to local taxes and duties upon arrival in your country, which are levied once the package reaches your country. Any additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be. Customs policies vary widely from country to country, so you will need to contact your local customs office if you require further information.

Here's hoping....
The benefits keep on coming.....

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The benefits keep on coming.....
They do. My friend a car repair garage owner has just been telling me about spiralling costs of parts and delivery charges - which he will have to pass on. All these people who STILL support brexit - what do they do? Do they realise they are being economically impacted?

Altfish

Veteran Member
E3Bv5JJXMAAb_ss

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Today's [UK] newspapers are full of talk of a coming "trade war" with the EU over... sausages. But the EU has not changed a single rule.

So what is happening? The Brexit deal that the UK government signed – designed specifically to meet its red lines and demands – places Northern Ireland effectively within the EU single market, and the rest of the UK outside it. The EU didn't want to divide the country into two different trade zones – that was the UK's decision.

There was a temporary carve-out for some food exports but that is now about to expire. So those sausages can't go to Northern Ireland.

The British government is acting like this is an outrage – but it has been there in black and white in the deal all along. It is there because the UK insisted on refusing to align with EU food hygiene standards. They always knew this was coming.

The government made it painfully obvious that it was going to renege on the final Brexit deal when it tried to pass a law last year that would have broken the withdrawal agreement. As Theresa May's former chief of staff Gavin Barwell put it, "They knew it was a bad deal but agreed it to get Brexit done, intending to wriggle out of it later". So the EU made sure to build in protections with teeth for when that happened.

The EU has simply said that it the UK continues to openly ignore the rules it signed up to in the Brexit deal, then it will act "swiftly, firmly and resolutely to ensure that the UK abides by its international law obligations". Brexit Britain can't break the rules without consequences

Stay European

RestlessSoul

Unfortunately, the more apparent the negative consequences of Brexit become, the more those who voted for it double down on their position.

It’s a bit like an unsuccessful gambler chasing his losses, all the way to the poorhouse.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I notice Il Duce Farragio has been very quiet lately Though of course he's quite wealthy, and immune from the negative effects of Brex****.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I notice Il Duce Farragio has been very quiet lately Though of course he's quite wealthy, and immune from the negative effects of Brex****.
The only thing he does is say something along the lines of ..."It is not the right sort of Brexit"

RestlessSoul

I did experience a little bit of schadenfruede, when Tim Martin was asking for special visas so EU citizens could come and work in his grim joyless boozers.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
The dire shortage of HGV drivers is ongoing in the UK, with worries about empty supermarket shelves. Apparently the transport industry asked recently for an EU visa scheme to be introduced (to get back some of the "lost" EU drivers), but the government wasn't keen on that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Have Brits living in Europe had any problems?

No. Application for the residency permit, despite dreaded french bureaucracy, was pretty straight forward and on time for the deadline.

I've not heard anything of any problems. Even friends who applied very late have received their card

Friends in Germany have had it even easier, basically just a formality.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
People aren't "getting over it."

- British leavers and remainers as polarised as ever, survey finds

...and it's a pity those that did not vote couldn't be bothered:

"While few respondents who voted in the 2016 referendum appeared to have changed their view in the intervening five years, there was evidence of a shift among those who had not participated. More than twice as many (43%) in this group said they would now vote remain rather than back leave (18%)."