• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The GOP didn't arrive this way through colorblindness or randomness.
If there's something I don't know about black people or others being denied entry to that party, it would benefit me to know. But as far as I'm aware, there's no such policy. If people of other races simply don't support this party in as large numbers as another race, then that's just the way things are.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
46332037_1789473111181677_5686723672715296768_n.jpg

46473856_1789472857848369_1161217869594230784_n.jpg

Not enough women/minorities running as republicans?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If there's something I don't know about black people or others being denied entry to that party, it would benefit me to know. But as far as I'm aware, there's no such policy. If people of other races simply don't support this party in as large numbers as another race, then that's just the way things are.
Nothing so garish as active barring. But that doesn't mean that discriminatory appointments aren't a thing. There's a long list of concerns over lingering effects from segregation era and Jim Crow laws in the GOP to this day. Hell we have segregationist republicans here on this forum.

There's enough ethnic and gender diversity in the GOP party that a lot more diversity should be expected than this and still be merit based appointments.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Making race an issue again, I see. If we really cared about fighting racism, we actually wouldn't care about race.

Like, at all.

So it wouldn't matter if your party were full of white people, mixed, black, Asian, cyberman, it wouldn't be an issue.
If only we could afford such luxuries.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I know exactly what it means. The race of a person entering a given institution is random, unless said institution has a policy to include a member of each race, in which case it is a quota.
I think you missed an important point, in that the race of people entering an elected body depends deeply on the electors. And if it appears (as it does) that one group of electors excludes what another group of electors does not exclude, then that is not a "policy" so much as it is an indicator of preference -- explicitly, in this case, a group preference.

In today's world, I honestly think that should be of concern.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have never understood it.

You can't force diversity in schools, parties, etc. The dominoes fall how they do. These things are random.

Well, they bused inner city schools to the suburbs in Junior High where I was beat up for being a White Kid. Then I was bused to the inner city schools in High School were I was beat up for being a White kid. Fortunately transferred to a school in Calif were a majority of the kids were Black and Hispanic. They were too busy beating on each other to pay any attention to the White kids.

They tried to force it it the 70's. Um, I don't think it went so well.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have never understood it.

You can't force diversity in schools, parties, etc. The dominoes fall how they do. These things are random.

If it were truly random, then wouldn't the parties' proportions reflect that? Race and culture are intertwined, and of course so are culture and politics. These people both represent and reflect those who elected them. There's nothing coincidental about it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If it were truly random, then wouldn't the parties' proportions reflect that? Race and culture are intertwined, and of course so are culture and politics. These people both represent and reflect those who elected them. There's nothing coincidental about it.
I may have been less than clear, but I was talking about parties as a whole, not just those who are elected. Any person can join a party. Here in the UK one just pays a monthly party subscription, and then they can run for whatever.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
How is that a problem? You can't force people of a certain skin colour to enter a certain party. That's what I mean by this is random.

Of course you can't force people of a certain skin color to enter a certain party, especially when that certain party's platform conflicts with their self-interest. That's the point.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

If a party has a long, sordid history of racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. it would make sense that it would be significantly less diverse than a party that has opposed such things. It has nothing at all to do with randomness or people being denied entry.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, they bused inner city schools to the suburbs in Junior High where I was beat up for being a White Kid. Then I was bused to the inner city schools in High School were I was beat up for being a White kid. Fortunately transferred to a school in Calif were a majority of the kids were Black and Hispanic. They were too busy beating on each other to pay any attention to the White kids.

They tried to force it it the 70's. Um, I don't think it went so well.
Funny. In the 1960's I went to a school run by Quakers. It covered grades 7 to 13, and yet had only 155 students total. And they were white and black and Mexican and Jewish and Catholic and Protestant, and from all over the world, including Sri Lanka and Mexico and France...and throughout my high school years, we had zero incidents of racial or religious discrimination. I love being Canadian, and I actually admire the Quakers, based on my own experience. Love really does have a way of making things better.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Funny. In the 1960's I went to a school run by Quakers. It covered grades 7 to 13, and yet had only 155 students total. And they were white and black and Mexican and Jewish and Catholic and Protestant, and from all over the world, including Sri Lanka and Mexico and France...and throughout my high school years, we had zero incidents of racial or religious discrimination. I love being Canadian, and I actually admire the Quakers, based on my own experience. Love really does have a way of making things better.

Hey! Quakers are great.

Curious George

Veteran Member
If a party has a long, sordid history of racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. it would make sense that it would be significantly less diverse than a party that has opposed such things. It has nothing at all to do with randomness or people being denied entry.
Both parties have this. No one gets to claim noble here.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some people are genetically colour blind.

View attachment 25394

Others choose to be psychologically colour or lack the insight to know they are.

So personal, never felt any need to treat anyone different because of the tone of their skin, religion, nationality, gender. People I deal with personally, I just never consider these things.

However, being light skinned, blue eyed, brown hair, male. Movies, games, my preference is to someone similar to myself as the protagonist. Just easier to identify with that person.

I've tried but I lose interest. I suppose it is kind of prejudice but I don't particularly feel guilty for it.