• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's an obsolete word you like?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
At the risk of offending someone, i like retards and sometimes envy some of them, especially the very affectionate ones who smile all the time and live simple blameless lives.

I have mad respect for retarded people. I just find the word enjoyable to use or hear. If I offended you, that was not what was intended.

Just like, I think midget is a far more endearing and cute word than dwarf. But it's not PC to use the former anymore.

What's an obsolete word you wish was used more liberally? What are your thoughts about words becoming politically incorrect?

74x12

It's not truly obsolete but it's no longer used. "Ye" is a good word because in English we don't have an official word for plural "you" anymore; at least not that I know of.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Here is one for IANS - zenzizenzizenzic

But for me, simple, nice and warming on a sunny winters day - apricity

Earthling

David Henson
At the risk of offending someone, i like retards and sometimes envy some of them, especially the very affectionate ones who smile all the time and live simple blameless lives.

I have mad respect for retarded people. I just find the word enjoyable to use or hear. If I offended you, that was not what was intended.

Just like, I think midget is a far more endearing and cute word than dwarf. But it's not PC to use the former anymore.

What's an obsolete word you wish was used more liberally? What are your thoughts about words becoming politically incorrect?

Niggard. It means selfish, greedy. I like it because, even when pronounced correctly, with the obvious d sound at the end, people get all politically correct on me when I use it. Like it could only be used by a Rap artist in a hit rap single.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Niggard. It means selfish, greedy. I like it because, even when pronounced correctly, with the obvious d sound at the end, people get all politically correct on me when I use it. Like it could only be used by a Rap artist in a hit rap single.

Try calling someone who reneges on a promise a "reneger" sometime...

Earthling

David Henson
Try calling someone who reneges on a promise a "reneger" sometime...

Yeah, I thought about using some disclaimer in my post to the effect of discretion on the part of the reader who might try and use the word in a sentence at the possible loss of ones teeth, or grill, if you like. The warm smug feeling one gets when correcting the politically correct is probably preferable to the dizzy realization of blood coming from ones gaping holes where once were teeth.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Dysphemism (opposite of euphemism).

If a euphemism is a "nice way of describing something nasty," than what could be more useful than a nasty way of describing something nice?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Anything that would upset the PC of these crazy and whacked out people would be fine by me.

One of my favorites? A spade is a spade.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like Nigga. I actually think by using it all the time will diminish the actual racist vernacular that it's been associated with. By ending it with an a it's not meant to be derogatory and It just sounds as cool as cracker! Lol

I'm with the crowd that using the 'N' word as a joke would decimate it's derogatory infliction.

Earthling

David Henson
I like Nigga. I actually think by using it all the time will diminish the actual racist vernacular that it's been associated with. By ending it with an a it's not meant to be derogatory and It just sounds as cool as cracker! Lol

I'm with the crowd that using the 'N' word as a joke would decimate it's derogatory infliction.

Alas, unless it turns out only all the crackers are the ones decimated in the process, but even that leaves the aforementioned Rap artist.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm quite socially retarded and the reason I couldn't make it in the medical field like my mom and brother is because I was mathematically retarded and quite retarded in science and other areas.

I should follow @Rival's advice and be a bus driver. I want to drive a special needs short bus packed full of retards (like me). :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know how obsolete they are.
Perhaps just obscure or out of fashion.
Lo
Twas
Tis
Whence
Whenceforth
Pismire & pissant
Besmirch