• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What You Need vs. What You Want

Shrew Tamer

Let's face it disposable income folks- do you really need what you have? do you need a $40,000 vehicle when a $10,000 vehicle will do exactly the same thing- and it is not limited to vehicles

"even if the nose is broken, if you can breath through it it is just fine"

Sees

Dragonslayer
$10,000 would buy me 3 vehicles...but the wife doesn't play along :D

There is something to be said though for nice, well-designed, high-featured thingies that give us comfort, pleasure, etc.

I try to do a bit of both...thrifty/cheap or particular/snooty depending on mood, hobby, money issues...hover around a middle path.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Let's face it disposable income folks- do you really need what you have? do you need a $40,000 vehicle when a $10,000 vehicle will do exactly the same thing- and it is not limited to vehicle
I don't plan to buy a 40K vehicle just yet, but how do you mean "exactly the same"? If it drives better, if it's safer, if it's more reliable or even if it's more comfortable then not only it is not exactly the same but it is not the same at all on many major criteria.
"even if the nose is broken, if you can breath through it it is just fine"
No it is not. I should point out to you that you need medical attention and probably change your shirt as well.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's face it disposable income folks- do you really need what you have? do you need a $40,000 vehicle when a $10,000 vehicle will do exactly the same thing- and it is not limited to vehicles

I just went through the buy a vehicle thing.
I figured a $40,000 vehicle was a luxury I couldn't justify, and bought a $30k-ish one I'm really enjoying. Not sure I'd get the same pleasure, safety levels, or comfort out of a $10k one, to be honest.

However, the principles of understanding what is a NEED and what is a WANT, and living within means are good ones.

:yes:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
My car cost €800, I've had it 18 months and I'm very happy with it. I talked to a man with a BMW last week, he'd just changed tyres and they'd cost almost as much as my car. That pleased me more than owning a big car would :).

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My car cost €800, I've had it 18 months and I'm very happy with it. I talked to a man with a BMW last week, he'd just changed tyres and they'd cost almost as much as my car. That pleased me more than owning a big car would :).
I'm not sure how this reaffirms the OP's ideal though. What I get from your post is simply your rationalization of the circumstances into your personal context. If the man is perhaps more wealthy to the point of buying a semi luxurious car, or tires which cost as much as your car it still doesn't mean that your material life, your personal life, or even spiritual life are better. It simply means that the man can put more money on a car choice, or at least that it is more important to him to adhere to a certain driving standard.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how this reaffirms the OP's ideal though. What I get from your post is simply your rationalization of the circumstances into your personal context. If the man is perhaps more wealthy to the point of buying a semi luxurious car, or tires which cost as much as your car it still doesn't mean that your material life, your personal life, or even spiritual life are better. It simply means that the man can put more money on a car choice, or at least that it is more important to him to adhere to a certain driving standard.

If I'm honest with myself - What I get from it is that material stuff is important even to the people apparently without it.
I don't have a big car so I shift the goal posts and feel great that I got more value than the wealthy guy.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
If I'm honest with myself - What I get from it is that material stuff is important even to the people apparently without it.
I don't have a big car so I shift the goal posts and feel great that I got more value than the wealthy guy.
If the man spends money he doesn't have on a BMW than you are definitely the wiser man.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The only vehicle I have worth over $10K is me 1907 Duplex truck.
4by1-02.jpg

But how could I not get one of these!
I'm the only one on the block with one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would love one of those. Tell us more, year, mileage, trips you've done, how long you've had, plans for it etc etc
Milage unknown (no odometer on this model).
It runs, but isn't quite road worthy yet.
No trips on it. Ordinary motorcycles are dangerous enuf, but this is a 1000cc engine with
only a half-wide single leading shoe rear brake. Still, I take it to a show every now & then.
I bought it back in 1974 or 75 when I was still studying engineering. I just had to have it!
Leaf spring suspension of both wheels & the seat.....it doesn't get cooler than that.

The truck is earlier & far rarer though. Rarity actually lowers the value, surprisingly.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is interesting how cultural car habits are.

I hear that Chinese and German people don't really use cars all that much. Brazilians, however, seem to make even more of a point of having them and using them as status displays than Americans.

And yet...

Brazil Investigating High Car Prices | The Truth About Cars

In retrospect, it’s almost amazing that it took this long for Brazil to look into this issue. After all, a MERCOSUR-built Amarok cost around $66,000 in Brazil, but only about $34,000 in nearby Chile (and many more examples exist).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Want is what drives us forward, it actually protects us. Balance between want and needs is good but impossible to acheive. The problem is needs vary depending on the enviroment so we want to be prepared for the hard times.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I have many things I don't need. Who wants to have the bare minimum, a slacker?
I shouldn't be encouraging you - but anyway :)

I was watching a comedian last night who reckoned that slackers and the work shy should be left in peace on the dole because he didn't want them losing his luggage or crashing his train :D