• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would you like to share about your religion/worldview?

Howdy!
Being a cat I am ever curious. What do you want to share about your religion? What do you wish people would ask you about your religion? Are there any assumptions made that drive you nuts? What about common misconceptions you would like to correct?

I think I would like to share that Hinduism is one of those systems of thought that is large enough for the answer to every questions to be both yes and no. Do Hindus believe in God ? Well yes and no because within Hinduism there are systems of thought that are entirely theistic but also schools of thought which are entirely materialistic.

I would also share that Taoism is one of those systems that is similar. There are a variety of types of Taoism and schools of thought within Taoism. Some are highly philosophical and others are very mystical etc etc. Some Taoists focus on internal cultivation in the sense of gathering wisdom and understanding and there are some which believe in a very literal internal alchemy. IT's rather interesting to me.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Howdy!
Being a cat I am ever curious. What do you want to share about your religion? What do you wish people would ask you about your religion? Are there any assumptions made that drive you nuts? What about common misconceptions you would like to correct?

I think I would like to share that Hinduism is one of those systems of thought that is large enough for the answer to every questions to be both yes and no. Do Hindus believe in God ? Well yes and no because within Hinduism there are systems of thought that are entirely theistic but also schools of thought which are entirely materialistic.

I would also share that Taoism is one of those systems that is similar. There are a variety of types of Taoism and schools of thought within Taoism. Some are highly philosophical and others are very mystical etc etc. Some Taoists focus on internal cultivation in the sense of gathering wisdom and understanding and there are some which believe in a very literal internal alchemy. IT's rather interesting to me.

That in a sense I know nothing and I even don't know that. In another I know a lot about different claims of knowledge.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm a fan of case studies, more than that of generalisations. I like to learn about individuals over groups, so I'm drawn to AMA threads, if they're sincere. There is a lot to learn, and by looking at individuals, there is more humanity in it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Howdy!

I'm attracted to reality based religions.

I also find neutrality and indifference to be interesting in terms of balance and harmony overall as well as adjusting in tune along those lines.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you want to share about your religion? What do you wish people would ask you about your religion? Are there any assumptions made that drive you nuts? What about common misconceptions you would like to correct?

I would also share that Taoism is one of those systems that is similar.
I won't share anything if the person is not interested.
People can ask me any question about Hinduism. I will be happy to reply very honestly.
Oh, there are gazillions of misconception in theist Hinduism (I am an atheist Hindu and part Buddhist). Correcting that is beyond my capability. I cannot turn the 'dhammachakka'. Time and education will do that.

Almost all Hindus believe in God (say 95%). Yeah Samkhya philosophy had 'nireeshwaravada' (doctrine of absence of God). The Hindu atomic philosophy 'Vaisheshika' also at one time denied God. The philosophy that I follow, Advaita - non-duality, is basically atheistic, though most advatists say that it is only a question of shades, otherwise God and 'self' are the same.

Don't know about Taoism, though I am impressed by what I hear. But then, I have completed my search. I do not need any new input except from what science finds.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I’m a follower of Confucius (Ru). I say this because I practice divination through the I Ching.
People often think Confucianism is only a political philosophy, not a religion. Confucius did spend a majority of his life developing a political philosophy and being a politician of sorts. At the end of his life, however, he lamented the path he chosen, and said it would’ve been better to have spent that time studying the I Ching instead. He said that if he had 50 years to spare, he would spend it studying it.
So, if I am to be a follower of Confucius, I see it important I consult the I Ching regularly. It’s been a while, but that’s because I’m getting my spiritual practice back on track.
Taking in the aphorisms of Confucius is important, e.g. be a good son. And I’m not saying you can’t be a follower of Confucius without consulting the I Ching. But it is an important aspect to the religion, as it adds a spiritual divine element.

PureX

Veteran Member
My religion is not a religion, and my philosophy is based on the profound gift of my 'unknowing'. So it's very easy to follow and it is impossible to argue with.

"You were born, and now you're free. So ... happy birthday." - Laurie Anderson

Vee

Premium Member
There are many things to share, but if I have to pick one that I find really important: Jehovah's Witnesses are very peaceful people. We don't use violence even against people we don't like. Others don't need to be afraid of us. In today's world, I think that matters a lot.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
What do you want to share about your religion?

Not much. :D

What do you wish people would ask you about your religion?

Very little. :D

Are there any assumptions made that drive you nuts? What about common misconceptions you would like to correct?

Three things. Reincarnation - nope, a soul - nope and a messenger of God - nope. Not nuts, cos it's regular and I'm a bit meh about it now.

I'm a fan of case studies, more than that of generalisations. I like to learn about individuals over groups, so I'm drawn to AMA threads, if they're sincere. There is a lot to learn, and by looking at individuals, there is more humanity in it.
This tempts me to make an ama thread about the beliefs of me and my cat people.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One central part of Meher Baba's advent was to bring in a New Humanity living a New Life. During one phase a poem/song was written.

In 2012, during a celebration, this poem was put to music:

There have been many messages and discourses on the topic such as

The New Humanity will come into existence through a release of love in measureless abundance, and this release of love can come through spiritual awakening brought about by the Masters. Love cannot be born of mere determination; through the exercise of will one can at best be dutiful. Through struggle and effort, one may succeed in assuring that one's external action is in conformity with one's concept of what is right; but such action is spiritually barren because it lacks the inward beauty of spontaneous love.

Love has to spring spontaneously from within; it is in no way amenable to any form of inner or outer force. Love and coercion can never go together, but while love cannot be forced upon anyone, it can be awakened through love itself.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know that there really are any common misperceptions of modern, Pagan Druidry - it's just that far off most people's radars. They don't know it is even a thing. Or if they do, they might go "oh, you mean the character class in RPGs?" or "oh, you mean the class of persons in ancient Celtic society we know next to nothing about?" No, and no. Though I do often avoid playing the druid class in RPGs because it's not really role-playing for me. :D

What do I wish people would ask? The extreme basics; that's the starting point. And while doing so, forget everything you think you know about what religion is and what theism is. The starting assumptions most people bring to the table on these things apply poorly to... well... most everything outside of certain types of monotheistic, organized, hierarchical religions (mostly Christianities) come to think of it...

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I believe in Exaltist theology and have a Culturally Omnist religious worldview.

I make a lot of threads based on my discoveries. The easiest way I put it is, I believe the utilities in our technology will make us God, allow us to create Gods in things, and that theology is shifting from divinity being held solely in The Omniverse to each and everything becoming itself divine. Thus my theology is a hybrid of pantheism, syntheism and the general belief of future omnitheism.

Culturally omnist means I can go to any church and think (not pray) with believers. I have decided overall that I am nonreligious and don't practice religious rites, rituals or ethics, that is the cultural part of my omnism, but I am still omnist and respect and even revere all religions equally - even if it's hard for me to understand and impossible for me to practice them at the same time.