• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would the agnostic look for in a God

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A deity that is whatever choose to interpret it as being, given that I understand my limited, fallible, feeble human senses can hardly grasp the True Nature of Reality.

Which is pretty much how I do things. I'm fundamentally agnostic but decide on theism because it adds a layer of meaningfulness and sacredness to reality. Honestly, I don't have to use the word "deity" for that, but it's a decent fit since "deity" typically denotes objects worthy of honor and reverence.

Walkntune

Freedom from self sabotaging actions that they are unable to let go of in their own strength.

Skwim

Veteran Member
What
revoltingest.gif
said.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Nothing.

The wisdom of Daryl Zero comes to mind:

"Now, a few words on looking for things. When you go looking for something specific, your chances of finding it are very bad. Because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. When you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good. Because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
doppelgänger;2625984 said:
Nothing.

The wisdom of Daryl Zero comes to mind:

"Now, a few words on looking for things. When you go looking for something specific, your chances of finding it are very bad. Because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. When you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good. Because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

A good quote, but the only caveat I would add is that when people go looking for something specific, they often convince themselves they've found it even though it isn't there.

Absolute Zero

fon memories
So then why look for God or for that matter be religous in the first place ? Would you guys happen to also adhere to the notion that God in conshirhesable to any being that deals with any form of exstience

chinu

chinu
They are looking for the sea to fall in a river. :D
They are looking for god to prove his existence by fall in front of them. :(

Hanatokoi

The nature of this question is somewhat strange. If anything, and Agnostic OR an Atheist would believe in a higher being for certain if that being made itself visible and comprehensible to every human being. Which isn't likely going to happen.Otherwise, an Agnostic might not look for much of anything in a god, I'd suspect.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Different answers depending on the precise question:

Q: What would cause me to believe in the existence of God?
A: Incontrovertable, testable, repeatable evidence.

Q:What would I consider to be a God?
A: A supernatural being with control over some aspect of nature/reality. Bonus points for creator-god. Don't make me define supernatural.

Q: What would I want God to be?
A: A friendly, curious sort of Being, who wants the best for everyone, and who developed reincarnation so that we can experience everything necessary to fully develop the soul which would be our continuous essence.

bookwormlady

Owned by 2 cats
Strong evidence for its existence would be an excellent start. That aside, which sort of personality I'd want it to have would depend on whether or not it was apparent that it wanted to interact personally with us. If it just appeared to be some kind of supernatural but impersonal force, I'd want at the very least for it to creative rather than destructive - ie, the principal of not inflicting harm and chaos onto the universe. If it was clear that it wanted to interact with humans and/or other life forms, I'd hope that it would be kind, patient and loving towards us, regardless of our beliefs, differences, and choices. At best though, I could potentially see that sort of deity with respect or perhaps friendship, if that could exist. My days of attempting worship of any sort are long over. My friends and even family don't want my worship, and I can't imagine being interested in a god who would want it either. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
People are answering the wrong question: it's not, what would you look for in a god, it's what would the agnostic look for. If you had strong evidence of god you would no longer be the agnostic.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Nothing. I am agnostic by the true definition, it is my belief that we cannot know whether god exists or not. Assuming there is a god I look for nothing in it. It's obviously distant, separate, perhaps uninterested, etc.