• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What would be a good way for me (Amanaki) to change?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What would be a good way I can try to change my self, to become a better resource, friend, discussion partner for you in this forum?

Jedster

What would be a good way I can try to change my self, to become a better resource, friend, discussion partner for you in this forum?

Just a suggestion:

You may find more participation in discussing your religion if you didn't put so many conditions on your thread(s).
I noticed you left another forum recently(CD) because you got offended.
It's a pity because there were those there that wanted to learn about your religion.
Go take a look there.
@Amanaki ETA:just some strategic advice for navigating rough seas :)

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I may, in discussing your religion be exceedingly careful to avoid proselytizing. There is a subtle insult in trying to change other people. You are implying that you know what is best for them, and that they are not competent enough to know that themselves. Though the insult is subtle, many people pick up on it and are offended.

So it is best -- if you can -- not to try to persuade someone to adopt a view, opinion, religion, ideology, etc. unless the circumstances make it clear that they want you to try to do that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Just a suggestion:

You may find more participation in discussing your religion if you didn't put so many conditions on your thread(s).
I noticed you left another forum recently(CD) because you got offended.
It's a pity because there were those there that wanted to learn about your religion.
Go take a look there.
Thank you, yes i do get sometimes frustrated and stop answering because it look like people do not realize that Falun Gong is not a religion, it is Cultivation paths and it's much more strict for me to follow the teaching correct, and when other try to change it then i should tell it should not be changed because we think differently, we as humans do not see the full truth of why the teaching say what it does, so how could we change it?. The only one who can change anything in the teaching is my teacher, and founder of Falun Gong, Li Hongzhi. And he is the only one one can teach it, all of us who are practitioners are only students.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If I may, in discussing your religion be exceedingly careful to avoid proselytizing. There is a subtle insult in trying to change other people. You are implying that you know what is best for them, and that they are not competent enough to do that themselves. Though the insult is subtle, many people pick up on it and are offended.

So it is best -- if you can -- not to try to persuade someone to adopt a view, opinion, religion, ideology, etc. unless the circumstances make it clear that they want you to try to do that.
I realize i can have been misunderstood i tryning to prozelyte, so now i only try to say "in my understanding " but yes i can become better on this too :) thank you @Sunstone

Nimos

I don't have a lot of knowledge about the stuff you have written and your interaction with others, but from those that I have read, I don't think you should change anything, stick to what you believe if that makes sense to you and as long as you are not insulting other as you comment on their views, then I would say its fine. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't have a lot of knowledge about the stuff you have written and your interaction with others, but from those that I have read, I don't think you should change anything, stick to what you believe if that makes sense to you and as long as you are not insulting other as you comment on their views, then I would say its fine. :)
Thank you @Nimos

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Worry less about being a resource, friend, and discussion partner to others and focus on being the change you want to see in you.

In my experience, one cannot be these things to others before they are these things to themselves. If you focus on being the best person you can be for yourself and simply focus on being compassionate to others, all of the other things you're concerned about in your OP just sort of fall into place on their own.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

What I find is discuss the best concepts you have and let others inquire about developing them more for them. Many people turn off Just at the title of the book because it doesn't seem to relate to them without even reading the The book flap summary. To win a person's interest you need to get them to ask questions, telling them will shut most down.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One thing that I think I struggle with which may be beneficial for us both to work on maintaining peace and calm in the face of criticism, regardless of whether the criticism is legitimate. Not replying to criticism you don't think is applicable doesn't mean you've 'conceded their point' or have to accept their words. You don't owe anyone a debate. So engage in it only when you honestly think you can get something constructive from it, and you'll find yourself enjoying the activity much more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A classic Hawaiian shirt would really suit you.
Other than that, you're fine as you are.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I concur with Jedster. I notice you do tend to take offense and not continue conversations. A lot of people do it especially if it hits a sour cord or they (any person myself included), they don't take time to read the context of posts. It's highly frustrating and it can ruffle feathers.

I haven't read your falun gong posts. I never seen your proselytize on these threads. That's more trying to convince others they are wrong rather than share your opinion on what they should or shouldn't believe (guessing based on the replies here).

I would say it does help to hear constructive criticism from others. That's how we learn about ourselves so it's great you ask questions. Be mindful answers aren't theology but a Practice.

Last edited: