• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Orthodox Judaism Really Believes

Rakhel

Your words are very insulting to many and I am trying to figure out if you are truely an orthodox Jew. Because any Orthodox Jew with respect to his heritage wouldn't speak like you do.

You really should learn to respect the Prophets, Sages, Rabbis who have paved the way for you to be able to accomplish G-d's will as easily as it is done today.
OK. these are the only two statement that are irritating me beyond belief. And I will tell you why.

1. Simply because her rabbi may instruct her in a way that is contrary to what your rabbi instructs, makes her no less orthodox than you. As Jews is it common to have two very different understandings on the same subject

2. How do you know she isn't showing respect. Some of our rabbis and sages and even Prophets were *****. That is who they were. Does that mean that she, or even we, are disrespecting the message they gave or the job they had to do? No. all that is doing is acknowledging who and what they were.

Finally,
3. The only one showing any disrespect here is you. You don't know what we know any more than we know what you know. What you are taught and how you are taught may be vastly different from what we are taught or how. And because it may be in a different light does not mean that we are less intelligent than you on the same subject matter.

So I am going to ask that you kindly leave your ego at the door. This is not a contest. There are too few of us as it is on this forum.

End of rant...for now.

Harmonious

OK. these are the only two statement that are irritating me beyond belief. And I will tell you why.

1. Simply because her rabbi may instruct her in a way that is contrary to what your rabbi instructs, makes her no less orthodox than you. As Jews is it common to have two very different understandings on the same subject

2. How do you know she isn't showing respect. Some of our rabbis and sages and even Prophets were *****. That is who they were. Does that mean that she, or even we, are disrespecting the message they gave or the job they had to do? No. all that is doing is acknowledging who and what they were.

Finally,
3. The only one showing any disrespect here is you. You don't know what we know any more than we know what you know. What you are taught and how you are taught may be vastly different from what we are taught or how. And because it may be in a different light does not mean that we are less intelligent than you on the same subject matter.

So I am going to ask that you kindly leave your ego at the door. This is not a contest. There are too few of us as it is on this forum.

End of rant...for now.
Well said.

Rakhel

Well said.
Thank you. Sometimes this idea of "I'm a better Jew than you because my rabbi says so" really gets my goat. You may be more observant than I am(that much is obvious), but does that really make you better?

Hypothetical question.

Harmonious

Thank you. Sometimes this idea of "I'm a better Jew than you because my rabbi says so" really gets my goat. You may be more observant than I am(that much is obvious), but does that really make you better?

Hypothetical question.
Rhetorical question?

dantech

Finally,

End of rant...for now.

I am sorry, but didn't I already apologize for there lack of respect in my post?
I am pretty sure I did. And even though I have very very different views on what you and Frankerl are saying, I will just let it go and not even reply what I think because it will no doubt be disrespectful again. It is just that these things Frankel is saying really irritate me. I rather not fight on this subject and talk to you guys on other subjects in a friendly manner.

I know rhetorical questions don't need answers but I feel I need to answer this anyway...
You have no idea if I am more observant than you are... And even if I am, that has nothing to do with who is more intelligent.
Some people are observant because they are blindly following the way of their parents (this, in my opinion, is not the intelligent way).

However, there are also people who are observant after having learned and studied on the subject and simply realize the worth of this religion. (these are smarter then the ones mentioned above)

Am I better than you? In what sense...
If you mean because I'm more observant, then yes... I am better....
Am I a better person than you because I'm more observant? That's a different question that no one can answer but G-d himself on our final day...

Rakhel

I am sorry, but didn't I already apologize for there lack of respect in my post?
I am pretty sure I did. And even though I have very very different views on what you and Frankerl are saying, I will just let it go and not even reply what I think because it will no doubt be disrespectful again. It is just that these things Frankel is saying really irritate me. I rather not fight on this subject and talk to you guys on other subjects in a friendly manner.
You probably did. and if you have and I missedit , then I am sorry.

I know rhetorical questions don't need answers but I feel I need to answer this anyway...
You have no idea if I am more observant than you are... And even if I am, that has nothing to do with who is more intelligent.
Some people are observant because they are blindly following the way of their parents (this, in my opinion, is not the intelligent way).
Some people equate it in that way.

However, there are also people who are observant after having learned and studied on the subject and simply realize the worth of this religion. (these are smarter then the ones mentioned above)
I know this.

Am I better than you? In what sense...
If you mean because I'm more observant, then yes... I am better....
Am I a better person than you because I'm more observant? That's a different question that no one can answer but G-d himself on our final day...
And this is what I tell even the most observant.

Flankerl

Its Flankerl not Frankerl. :)

I probably shouldnt have posted here since i wouldnt call myself orthodox. But then again also not reform or conservative.

oiglipoink

Thank you. I did not see anything about the origin of the word "Torah" in there though, just definitions of what Orthodox Judaism says of the word "Torah" which include cosmic foundation but that's the case of most all major religions. I just want to confirm my opinion that Orthodox Judaism does not teach Jews the origin of the word "Torah". Do you know anything more about the origin of the word Torah than the religious statements which reflect priesthood beliefs but not necessarily etymological truth?

Levite

Higher and Higher
The word תורה (Torah) comes from the root ירה, meaning "to teach" or "to give instruction." Thus the word Torah literally can be rendered "Teachings" or "Instruction," with the sense of "law," a set of teachings to be followed.

I may not be Orthodox anymore, but I'm pretty sure that this etymology is entirely commonly known and taught in any Orthodox community: it certainly was at the Orthodox day school I went to as a kid. It's basic knowledge.

oiglipoink

Which confirms my opinion that rabbis do not know any longer if they ever did where the word "Torah" originates. Interesting..

Would you like to know where the word Torah originates?

oiglipoink

With all due respect, I await answer to the etymology of the word "Torah" that isn't religiously biased but historically accurate.

Last edited:

oiglipoink

Do you know the reason of this directory being in blue text means?

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
With all due respect, I await answer to the etymology of the word "Torah" that isn't religiously biased but historically accurate.

What you want someone to say is that there was an Egyptian goddess named Taurowet, known as the Great One, who was the keeper of the celestial order and that, to quote you, "Taking the Egyptian icon for Celestial Order upon which under the principle "As above, so below" Jews remade the Egyptian Taurowet into the Jewish Torah taking out imagery of her as they took out most all religious imagery to replace it's authority with their Word of God words on scrolls. As Word of God the Jewish priesthoods could control the interpretation of those Words of God. Not so astrological constellations which were there in the sky for everyone to see and use. So astrology became verbotten in Judaism lest astrologers become more important than Jewish priests. The Celestial Torah was pulled down to earth by Jewish priests who by condemning the astrological basis of the Celestial Torah completely derailed it from its original purpose which was to keep alive in the minds of human beings on earth the Order God had placed in the heavens as Signs for the guidance of human life on earth."

So others know where you're coming from, to get the מעשוגאַס out on the table, I am posting the link to your website. By the way, how many forums is it now that you have managed to get yourself banned from?

Celestial Torah Christianity

Last edited: