• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Offends You?

Clara Tea

I am offended by people who call me an idiot long before I prove it.

I am offended by Bobby Schuller Jr. (son of Reverend Robert Schuller of the Crystal Cathedral, Orange, California), standing on the edge of a yacht with his penis exposed, pants unzipped, drink in one hand, and a beautiful babe in the other arm. Bobby is the president of Liberty University, a Christian college. Schuller Sr., sold the Crystal Cathedral to the Vatican for $50 million, and it was not church property, but the private property of Schuller. Those who donated to build it thought that it was church property (thought all owned it). With so much money, a lot of good could be done. Instead of squandering the money on yachts, booze, and babes, he could help the poor (as Jesus would have done). We turn a blind eye to bad behavior. Some would say that this is what happens when you stray from the faith, and that strengthens the faith. Actually, it is the belief that God will forgive anything that allows them to stray in the first place. Furthermore, it isn't clear that they ever were faithful. Maybe they are atheists?

Hitler offended me the way he tortured and starved millions of Jews.

President Ulysses S. Grant offended me when he tried to outs Jews from America.

President W. Bush offended me when he made phony Orange Alerts to scare people into agreeing with his wars (with no link to terrorism). I was offended when W. Bush defied God and killed Iraqis (specifically warned not to in Revelation). I was offended by W. Bush putting logging roads into forests then claiming that they were for environmental purposes to clear brush (after he stopped clearing brush....notice the fires that we have now).

I am offended by those who pretend to be faithful merely to get something. For example, I am pretty sure that Reverend Tex Watson, who was a murderer of the infamous Charles Manson Clan, is not really pious. Rather, I believe that he became a reverend in order to dupe people into granting him parole. I am offended by the duped even more than I am offended by the escaped murderer.

I am offended by how far we have strayed from God's instructions, to allow hoards of homeless people and locked churches.

Clara Tea

The bias in the media on both sides greatly offends me. I wish that reporting was more based in fact like it used to be growing up.

They didn't show FDR from the waist down because they wanted to hide his polio debility. This was an act of kindness, not the mean spirited Rush Limbaugh tactics that pervaded modern media. Limbaugh died, and now we don't have a chance to fend off incoming hurricanes with a greater wind.

firedragon

Veteran Member
What offends you?

What does your religion/philosophy say about being offended?

Do you think people are too easily offended?

Some people lie. That offends me. I mean blatant lies.

My theology says to do something about, if you are unable to do something, say something. If you are unable to even say something, at least think and make a stance in your mind.

There are various types of people I think. The type of people who are lying, get offended when the lie is exposed. There are also some people who are bigoted and highly tribalistic and when others say something about intellectual equality of everyone or even questioned about this prejudiced persons assertion that they are by default more intellect and others are handicapped, they get offended. But there are some people who dont do all of that. So the last question is too subjective to generalise.

We Never Know

No Slack
Some people lie. That offends me. I mean blatant lies.

My theology says to do something about, if you are unable to do something, say something. If you are unable to even say something, at least think and make a stance in your mind.

There are various types of people I think. The type of people who are lying, get offended when the lie is exposed. There are also some people who are bigoted and highly tribalistic and when others say something about intellectual equality of everyone or even questioned about this prejudiced persons assertion that they are by default more intellect and others are handicapped, they get offended. But there are some people who dont do all of that. So the last question is too subjective to generalise.

I stole this from another thread. Try this :D

IMG_20210421_015104.jpg

SA Huguenot

I am offended when someone say I offended them.
I am also offended if you dont offend me.

The golden rule is:
Always speak the truth which you perceive as True.
Allow others to speak their true opinion.

They call this Healthy Confrontation.
And to the person who cant handle it,
is the best example of "Victim Mentality".

Now those persons are totally offensive.
Run to mommy if you cant handle the truth.
Facts do not care about your feelings.
Accept it and grow up!

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What offends you?
Perhaps some obvious ones - arrogance (which might be as to beliefs but as often is directed towards others), also abuse and/or exploitation (and again usually of others and/or of their circumstances). An excess of humility perhaps is not desired but where some at least might lead to fewer mistakes being made and fewer injustices.
Not sure I have a fully worked out philosophy (obviously no religion), but I see being offended as my issue to work through and realise that I am more likely to be offended, given that I don't have views coinciding with the majority in many matters. Of course I live with this knowing that I am right - just as they do too. :D (Not really - have more doubts than true beliefs seemingly) :oops:
Probably, but times change and many are right to be offended. Not sure some of the current crop of offences will last though, given that the trend might lead to a rather grey and sad world. :oops:

Last edited:

thomas t

non-denominational Christian
What offends you?
any personal attack, which is a disparaging comment about my person.

an offence in the above sense is put into the same category as murder, but God will judge this. See Matthew 5:21-26.

yeah, absolutely.

Clara Tea

What offends you?

It is not about us, it is about God. What offends God?

We already know that God was offended in Eden (forbidden fruit of knowledge), Sodom (gambling, sex), and Noah (flooded sinful world), and President George W. Bush (will destroy world, after torturing us with Revelation 15 (seven plagues) for attacking Babylon after God warned us not to in Revelation). God was offended by a golden calf.

Think of the emotional pain that a young lady feels watching her love go off to war, and getting that dreaded letter from the Department of Defense (formerly War Department)..."We regret to inform you that Private (name) died in battle." The widow looks at a picture of her one true love, a handsome young man, sharp as could be, with a warm and winning smile. In war, that handsome young man was killing other handsome young men, and they, too, had widows, parents, or girlfriends. Not just the widow was affected, but everyone they knew was affected.

Satan won. Satan got his war. Satan was able to use deception, just like the deception used to lie that United States into war. Remember the lies that Colin Powell told to convince us that Babylon somehow had Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)? Remember the lies that W. Bush told the American people (constant Orange alerts that were phony, but designed to scare us into accepting Satan's wars)? Remember the cover-up of the torture camp in Guantanamo....President W. Bush didn't want the American public to know that he was violating international law in order to torture prisoners. Some were water-boarded in ice water until their limbs got frostbite, then gangrene and amputations. Water was turned yellow, stank, and was filled with germs that intentionally were placed in the water in order to give them severe stomach cramps. Guard dogs were nipping at their genitals. They were chained up on platforms and told that if they fell off they would explode. They were forced to kneel for days at a time. No useful intel was ever obtained, since they had been held for so long. Yet, they were being tortured into false confessions in order to justify the war and justify the torture.

Don't think of the tears of the widows of war, think of the tears of God. God had to destroy his own children....his own destructive children, because they did things to cause the angels to weep.

God has been deeply offended by the war in Babylon, and, unlike all of the offenses before, God will end it now (we are now living in the end times, according to Revelation, which says that President W. Bush's attack on Babylon is the trigger that starts the end times).

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
What offends you?

Born again Christians find atheism offensive, yet we must also make peace and be even-handed. Hate is to be saved for real issues like abortion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Who?
Bahai?
No, I like them.
No, Baha'is do not claim that they are the only true religion and the only way to God.
Christians claim they are the only true religion and the only way to God.
If you are not one of those Christians sorry if I offended you.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
What offends you?

I wish I could say that I always handle the issue of having felt offended, in the manner that my faith says I ought to but I frequently fail at this, I think.

Witnessing the offending of another is very challenging to me. Almost offensively so, in fact! It is really rather difficult for me to refrain from somehow offending their offender back. And, as a very much dislike actually offending others, this tendency is not a good one.

My faith says that only one’s ego can experience being offended and that wherever something is offensive, there, one’s ego is in charge. It makes sense to me but at the point of having been offended, my ego seems to hold a pretty solid grip of the steering wheel still.

Humbly
Hermit

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
No proof of existence of soul. I am Brahman, so are you too. This is seen differently in pragmatic reality and in absolute reality.
Correct. I don't mean soul when I say Atma

I see Atma as the waterdrop in the ocean of Brahman, but of course the waterdrop (Atma) is no different from the water/ocean (Brahman)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They didn't show FDR from the waist down because they wanted to hide his polio debility. This was an act of kindness, not the mean spirited Rush Limbaugh tactics that pervaded modern media. Limbaugh died, and now we don't have a chance to fend off incoming hurricanes with a greater wind.
FDR went through lengths of his own effort to hide that. "The media" (a term I am convinced very few today know what it actually means due to its high frequency of misuse) did not try to hide this. It was all FDR.
FDR-Getty-514887066.jpg

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
What offends you?

A couple of quotes I think are relevant to this topic. We need to be forgiving of others.

Show ye an endeavor that all the nations and communities of the world, even the enemies, put their trust, assurance and hope in you; that if a person falls into errors for a hundred-thousand times he may yet turn his face to you, hopeful that you will forgive his sins; for he must not become hopeless, neither grieved nor despondent.

Very high standards here are expected from my Faith.

You must consider your enemies as your friends, look upon your evil-wishers as your well-wishers and treat them accordingly. Act in such a way that your heart may be free from hatred. Let not your heart be offended with anyone. If some one commits an error and wrong toward you, you must instantly forgive him. Do not complain of others. Refrain from reprimanding them, and if you wish to give admonition or advice, let it be offered in such a way that it will not burden the bearer. Turn all your thoughts toward bringing joy to hearts. Beware! Beware! lest ye offend any heart. (Abdul-Baha)