• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a Hindu a Hindu - Version 2

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I hardly ever pray, or at least very rarely.

Maya

It's really hard top say about the 'average' 'Hindu' because most people rarely talk about it because it's personal. As a group. we're not very chatty about that sort of stuff.

Satyamavejayanti

I am Hindu and not ashamed or shy in proclaiming it, that is why i am a Hindu.
I am a Hindu because i respect my parents, elders, Devah and Devi, purohita and family.
I am Hindu because i respect all people.
I am Hindu because i see my self in all beings.
I am Hindu because i feel like a Hindu.
I am Hindu because a non-Hindu will clearly declare their non-Hinduness.
I am Hindu because i Love the peace that it provides me.
I am Hindu because that is my identity.
I am Hindu because i feel the presence of the Paramatman in the temples and in my self.
I am Hindu because i think this earth is my mother and father.
I am Hindu because i think this universe is my mother and father.
I am Hindu because i treat my Mother and Father as my entire Universe.
I am Hindu because..................... I Am HINDU

Philomath

Sadhaka
I am Hindu and not ashamed or shy in proclaiming it, that is why i am a Hindu.
I am a Hindu because i respect my parents, elders, Devah and Devi, purohita and family.
I am Hindu because i respect all people.
I am Hindu because i see my self in all beings.
I am Hindu because i feel like a Hindu.
I am Hindu because a non-Hindu will clearly declare their non-Hinduness.
I am Hindu because i Love the peace that it provides me.
I am Hindu because that is my identity.
I am Hindu because i feel the presence of the Paramatman in the temples and in my self.
I am Hindu because i think this earth is my mother and father.
I am Hindu because i think this universe is my mother and father.
I am Hindu because i treat my Mother and Father as my entire Universe.
I am Hindu because..................... I Am HINDU

Nice :)

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Aupmanyav: Average? For a Hindu? Perhaps women worship once a day in the morning as also visit the temple. Some men have their puja in the morning. Men would visit the temple in the evening. That serves as a community visit as well as worship. Some would go on particular days to temples of their deities, for example Tuesday to a Hanuman temple, Friday to a Devi temple, etc. Some would neither offer any puja or visit the temples except rarely. And yes, as Vinayaka said, Gods or Goddesses would always be with us, whether travelling in a public bus, private car, the rail engine driver will perhaps have an image in the engine. Never visited in the cockpit of an airplane, perhaps pilots also may have some thing like that. And sure, 'Sri Ganeshaya Namah', 'Ganapati Bappa Moria', 'Jai Mata ki' is when you start a car.

I think Aupmanyav describes the norm spot on and accurately.

For example, I am male, and I typically will go to the temple at twilight or evening. I notice more men at that time than in the morning.

I will describe my prayer habits in a minute (prayer in the typical "Western" sense of the word), but just to mention, I often have to do "work from home" via remote connection into work from a company laptop, so before I connect in I always light incense and very close by there is a small shrine and there is Meenakshi Devi holding parrot. Honestly, when I light incense to Meenakshi, I do not pray as would a Christian, no, and this is more like seeking good atmosphere. But I DO pray directly to Hanuman and Ganapati.

But like Aupmanyav says, I am a "typical" male, going to a temple in evening and not morning. But I go to all different Devatas temples, though my main one is a Shiva Muruga Ganesha Temple, but also go to a local temple of Durga Ram Hanuman, also where Meenakshi darshan is, and a temple where Shiva Parvati resides, a Devi temple, many others and where Navagraha is found, and I even go sometimes to a Jain Temple in my area and Sikh Temples too even though some Internet Hindus are critical of me doing so (but face-to-face Hindus never seem to be).

So I mention actual temples (verse home shrines) in context of "prayers", I think for me when I am actually praying with "long speeches" (in English) to Murti in a temple having darshan, this would typically be to Devi, Hanuman, Ganesha or Muruga. When I need doors to open, or beginnings, then long prayers to Ganesha, when I just pray for happiness or for no reason at all then to Devi Shakti or Muruga, and when there is real emotional purpose or sickness or crisis or feeling 'religiously melancholy' then to Hanuman. But mostly for others it is puja, which is different than prayers per say. I am not saying this is true for all Hindus, this is my habit. For yoga, I get darshan of Shiva.

My car has a personal license plate with the name of a very famous Devata (I am not saying Who, else someone can "look me up"). I often do have a small picture of Ganesha or Hanuman or Kali or Muruga or Ganga or Durga or ****ala or Annapurna but actually right now I do not but I "rotate the picture" depending on vibrations. But I always have vibhuti in a vile in my car, and put on vibhuti on my forehead before driving, also I like the smell and vibration-energy. So this is true as Aupmanyav describes, always to have Devatas in cars, taxi, etc., but for some stupid reason I haven't done that in a few months which is bad (but vibhuti everytime I first get in the car!), but I have Devata pictures in a gallery on my smart phone and I mount this cell phone on a special grip-mount at the center of the dash where the radio is and display such a picture often. This having a picture in the car, always causes a quick mantra and I like to look at the picture - yes, that is sort of like a prayer.

By the way, regarding what is being a Hindu, let me steal a spin and say:

Being a Sadhaka means knowing how to hug a porcupine.

Om Namah Sivaya

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Sshiva Fan,

Would be glad if you could share the benefits of having prayed for so many years.

Love & rgds

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
[FONT=&quot]Most avoid stagnant water, will shower rather than bathe.[/FONT]
This is the only part of your statements which I don't quite understand, majjanam is an important part of snAnam regardless of whether the water is flowing or not (although I agree that it's better if the water is flowing, like in a nadI), so wouldn't it be preferable to bathe and then pour water on yourself rather than take a shower?
The ga~NgA is relatively still near vArANasI (and other locations), yet millions of devotees bathe in it...
india-river-ganges-2009-4-9-4-50-441-300x187.jpg

Last edited:

Ravi500

He who has perfect faith in the Law of Karma, the law of reincarnation Avatara, ancestor worship, Varnashrama Dharma, Vedas and existence of God, he who practises the instructions given in the Vedas with faith and earnestness, he who does Sandhya, Sraaddha, Pitri-Tarpana and the Pancha-Maha-Yajnas, he who follows the Varnashrama Dharmas, he who worships the Avataras and studies the Vedas, is a Hindu.” This is the definition given by some highly cultured men. This is the only correct and complete definition. -- Swami Sivananda

This is indeed the right definition. :namaste

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
He who has perfect faith in the Law of Karma, the law of reincarnation Avatara, ancestor worship, Varnashrama Dharma, Vedas and existence of God, he who practises the instructions given in the Vedas with faith and earnestness, he who does Sandhya, Sraaddha, Pitri-Tarpana and the Pancha-Maha-Yajnas, he who follows the Varnashrama Dharmas, he who worships the Avataras and studies the Vedas, is a Hindu.” This is the definition given by some highly cultured men. This is the only correct and complete definition. -- Swami Sivananda

This is indeed the right definition. :namaste
I know plenty of shaiva-s who don't worship avatAra-s, does that make them non Hindu? Also, if you follow varNAshrama dharma, shUdra-s cannot recite the veda-s and therefore by default cannot perform sandhyAvandanam. Are you saying that shUdra-s are not Hindus? :rolleyes:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ravi,

You have quoted Swami Sivananda
and your signature has a quote from Jiddu Krishnamurti
When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind.

Do you fins any differences or similarities between the quotes mentioned of the two enlightened souls?
If so kindly share.

Love & rgds

Last edited:

Ravi500

I know plenty of shaiva-s who don't worship avatAra-s, does that make them non Hindu?

I am sure this can also qualify as theistic beliefs.

Also, if you follow varNAshrama dharma, shUdra-s cannot recite the veda-s and therefore by default cannot perform sandhyAvandanam. Are you saying that shUdra-s are not Hindus? :rolleyes:

The part of the smritis which is outdated should be deleted or edited. This updation is a constant point in Hinduism, lack of which resulted in the deterioration of India .

Jaskaran Singh

Divosūnupriyaḥ
I am sure this can also qualify as theistic beliefs.
That's not what your quote from sivAnanda saraswatI said though,, you wrote "...who follows the Varnashrama Dharmas, he who worships the Avataras and studies the Vedas, is a Hindu.”

The part of the smritis which is outdated should be deleted or edited. This updation is a constant point in Hinduism, lack of which resulted in the deterioration of India .
It's not just in the smR^iti-s though, the view that shUdra-s should not recite the veda-s is present even in the commentaries of medieval vedAntin-s; Adisha~Nkara is extremely strict in this regard and claims that molden tin and lac should be poured down the ears of a shUdra who listens to the veda-s and uses the vR^iddhagautama (it's either that or the manusmR^iti, I can't remember at the moment) to support his claim:

वेदश्रवणप्रतिषेधो वेदाध्ययनप्रतिषेधस्तदर्थानानुष्ठानयोश्च प्रतिषेधः शूद्रस्य स्मर्यते।
श्रवणप्रतिषेधस्तावत्'अथास्य वेदमुपशृण्वतस्त्रपुजतुभ्यां श्रोत्रप्रपूरणम्'इति।

^That's from his brahmasUtrabhAShyam

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Guys, this tread N°2 have been created to avoid exactly what you are doing: endless, off road, sterile debate.

Make your own tread in the debate section for the love of Ganesh we are tired of this.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Detailed reply to Vinayaka's list. Now decide whether I am a Hindu according to your view? :D

Practices

Many Hindus do a daily puja, and some form of sadhana.: My sadhana is interaction on internet which regularly requires me to consult scriptures or information sources.
Many attend temples regularly. Some do rarely. Some do often.: I visit temples rarely when the family goes.
Most have a Hindu name. Some converts and adoptives don’t.: Yes, I have a Hindu name.
Most have had a name-giving ceremony.: Yes, there was a name giving ceremony. I have done that for my children and grandchildren.
Some meditate daily.: Since I do not have any questions, I do not meditate. And thinking about the answer to a religious question, I can do it with full concentration even when I am working on a computer.
Some do regular japa.: No, I do not do any japa.
Most practice pilgrimage near of far, some often, some occasionally.: In my younger days I went to char-dham and related places, alone, part treking. As I said I now visit temples when the family goes, I have been to Dwarika, Somnath, Nageshwara, Kedarnath, Madmaheshwar, Tunganath. I visited Badrinath, Puri, and Nathdwara, but did not enter the temple. The vibrations were not encouraging. I found Eklingaji in Udaipur of very good vibration.
Most hang out with other Hindus.: I am a loner except when on internet.
Most listen to Hindu music primarily or exclusively. Some don’t listen to music at all.: Used to be very interested in music but not now. I can listen to Indian classical (both Hindustani and Karanatak) for hours and folk music from anywhere in the world but not western music.
Some have taken diksha from a Hindu teacher.: No diksha though I consider Sankara and Buddha as my gurus.
Some are vegetarian, some are not. Most shun beef.: No beef, but I like non-vegetarian food.
Many dream about Hindu stuff, indicating not just a Hindu conscious, but also a Hindu subconcious.: I do not have remebrable dreams these days but I think about Hinduism consciously and unconsciously all through the day. It is part of me and perhaps the only thing that I do these days.
Most call themselves Hindu in public.: Of course, and a Sanatani.
Many would consult an ayurvedic doctor.: No, absolutely.
Many will consult a Hindu astrologer.: No, absolutely.
Many know their nakshatras.: Yes.
Many avoid wearing leather.: I do not have any leather wearable other than shoes.
Most know at least a few bhajans.: Yes, I do. At one time I sang fairly well.
Most are comfortable eating with fingers.: Very comfortable. Do not like to use spoons.
Most never proselytize. A few do.: Given a chance, I do.
Most avoid stagnant water, will shower rather than bathe.: Me and my wife use a bucket and a tumbler rather than shower to avoid wastage of water. Son and his family use shower. We have installed a pressure pump, so if used, the water comes from the shower like that in Niagara Fall, consequently wasting too much water.
Most use incense.: Wife lights it during her puja.
Most practice charity to the poor, to temples, to schools, etc.: Yes, we do. Regularly keep money aside for that.
Many will prostrate at temple or home. Some don’t.: I don’t. I do namaskara remebering the deities as very important to my culture.
Most celebrate festivals, varying on sect.: We celebrate all important festivals since we do not belong to any particular sect.
Most have Hindu pictures in the house, and have a shrine. Some dedicate entire rooms.: Yes, we have a puja enclosure (not a room, about 5’ x 6’) with a large marble ‘simhasana’ for idols and images of Gods and Goddesses. It was costly ($600), but my son wanted it and my wife desired it.
Many read scripture. Many don’t.: Gita and RigVeda (Sacred-texts) are on my bookmark bar. Others as and when necessary.
Most are generally aware of their Hinduness.: Very much so.
Most use a Hindu greeting like ‘Namaste’ or ‘Namaskaram’.: I say ‘Jai Ram ji ki’.
Most are great hosts, welcoming guests as Gods.: I believe in that.
Most don’t use intoxicants, including tobacco, alcohol, and other stimulants.: I smoke, since about the age of 16. I like alcoholic drinks, but no other intoxicant.
Most don’t object to being called Hindu. Some do, either out of embarrassment, or from taking the stance that ‘Hindu’ is an incorrect term historically.: Embarassment? No question. ‘Hindu’ is my preferred lable rather than Sanatan.
Most were born in India, and most are born Indians. Almost all accept the many converts, adoptives, and returnees.: Born Hindu in India. Will gladly accept converts, adoptives, returnees.
Most are householders, some are ascetics.: House holder.
Some practice penances, like fasting.: Never accept on my father’s shraaddha. It spoils my system.
Most perform some samskaras, or rites of passage.: Yes, as well as ‘shraaddhas’.
Almost all practice cremation.: Yes. That is where I will end but under the open sky and not in an electric crematorium.
A few practice hatha yoga. Most don’t.: I do not think we should trouble deities with ‘hatha’.
Most wear Hindu clothing, and dress modestly.: Now most wear shirts and pants. Dhoti was nice when I wore it during pujas.

Beliefs

All believe in freedom of religion.: I believe in ‘freedom within religion’.
Most believe the inherent divinity within all mankind.: I believe that all things are Brahman though I do not take Brahman as divinity.
Most respect the environment, and love Mother Earth.: I do.
Most respect other faiths, although importance put on them varies.: Other faiths are immaterial for me. I consider Buddhism as part of Hinduism. After all, Buddha is the ninth avatara of Lord Vishnu.
All believe in reincarnation, although specifics vary.: I believe in re-incarnation of the constituents of my body.
All believe in karma, although specifics vary.: I believe in action according to dharma. Do not believe in transference of karma since I do not believe in soul or its reincarnation.
All believe in a divinity, either within all things, separate, or both. This divinity can have form, be formless, or be both.: I believe in characters of my mythology in whichever form they are. Basically my belief is in formless Brahman.
All accept the Vedas as authoritative. Most employ other scriptures from within the vast array of Hindu scriptures.: I accept no book as authoritative. It must say something intelligent. I do not like books like Garuda Purana.
Most have goals that are Veda-based.: The goal in Vedas was to please Gods. I am an atheist.
Almost all stick with Hinduism alone, but some complement their faith with aspects of other faiths.: I stick with Hinduism but do take aspects from Buddhism which I do not consider to be different.
Many know their branch, sect, or school. Many don’t.: I am an ‘advaitist’.
Many are sect-centric, and know little about other sects or traditions beyond their own.: I know a few things about other sects too.
All see moksha as the ultimate goal of life, but recognise the other goals as legitimate.: My definition of Moksha is different. It is getting answers to all questions agitating one’s mind. I have already achieved Moksha. The other goal is to fulfill my responsibilities to my family. I have nearly done that.
Most believe in practicing dharma, although definitions vary.: Dharma is action which will support the society, I practice that.
Nearly all believe in ahimsa.: I do not believe in unnecessary himsa, or hate, envy, etc., though accept that at times reaction is necessary.
Most recognise and respect holy men and women of all traditions.: I accept the traditional Rishis and Acharyas of Hinduism. As for the holy men in this age, there are few, many are charlatans. I am very selective in this. I admire what I have heard from Swami Adgadananda of Sakteshgarh. He was my type of advaitist. I also like Swami Avdheshananda Giri, Kripalu Maharaj and Swami Chidananda Saraswati of Parmartha Niketan, Rishikesh (though I have not heard his discourse, I am impressed by what he is doing). As for others, no comments.

images

Edited: I don't borrow anything from Buddhism, but I like to compare my beliefs with Buddhism.

Last edited:

Ravi500

Guys, this tread N°2 have been created to avoid exactly what you are doing: endless, off road, sterile debate.

Make your own tread in the debate section for the love of Ganesh we are tired of this.

I would say that is a good idea, and I would like to open that thread in the Debate forum whether the Shudras ,who form the brute majority of the Hindus in India, can or cannot not study the Vedas , which is indeed interesting ! Perhaps then Buddhism or Islam or Christianity would be the refuge of the poor Shudra then ! :(

However coming back to the topic of this thread, I must say that this definition is important in the sense that the present definition is very vague and unclear.

In fact, there is also a definition of Hinduism which states that all those who are born in India, whether they follow the Hindu religion or not,even christian or muslim, is also considered Hindu.

In fact, this vagueness of Hinduism itself is cleverly exploited by Christian and Muslim prosleytisers to pose themselves as Hindu and convert Hindus to their fold.

And on this basis of definition , a number of Christian and a few muslims too had stated to me they were Hindu, who follow the Christian and Muslim faiths.

And one of them was a Christian prosleytiser .

Now I have no issues whatsoever if a starving Hindu orphan adopts Christianity or Islam if he is in the process guaranteed of education, healthcare , food and other human needs.

In fact, I will encourage and support the kid to do so, if he does not get the needed help from Hinduism.

For me, religion is an institution to help the individual grow to his potential as much as possible, and I support any which helps the individual in this direction. :)

But when reasonably affluent Hindus do so without having a proper understanding of their religion due to its vagueness, then it becomes an issue.

Hence I do hope that this thread achieves a proper amount of clarity on this subject. :)

:namaste

Ravi500

I'm don't want to get into an argument, but you're being silly. All I am saying is that per varNa dharma, i.e doing your duty as per ones varNa, a shUdra is not supposed to be reciting veda-s or doing sandhyAvandanam, just as I being a kShatrIya am not in a position to be a pujArI. When sivAnand is saying that one must recite veda-s and follow varNAshrama to be Hindu, he is excluding shUdra-s from being Hindu, hence I pointed out my objection. Similarly, he states that one must worship avatAra-s to be Hindu, hence excluding certain shaiva-s, which I think is foolish of him. Also, please don't misinterpret my quotes; I am not casteist, nor would I ever agree with Adisha~NkarAchArya's "punishment" prescribed for shUdra-s who listen to the veda-s. However, from my readings, the shAstra-s do not seem to support the view that a shUdra should recite large portions of the veda-s, although this is kind of a blessing rather than a curse, as they attain mokShaH much more easily, which is a benefit of the kaliyuga according to the viShNupurANam:

"Being thus addressed by the Munis, Vyása smiled, and said to them, "Hear, excellent sages, why I uttered the words 'Well done, well done.' The fruit of penance, of continence, of silent prayer, and the like, practised in the Krita age for ten years, in the Treta for one year, in the Dwápara for a month, is obtained in the Kali age in a day and night: therefore did I exclaim, 'Excellent, excellent, is the Kali age!' That reward which a man obtains in the Krita by abstract meditation, in the Treta by sacrifice, in the Dwápara by adoration, he receives in the Kali by merely reciting the name of Keśava. In the Kali age a man displays the most exalted virtue by very little exertion; therefore, pious sages, who know what virtue is, I was pleased with the Kali age. Formerly the Vedas were to be acquired by the twice-born through the diligent observance of self-denial; and it was their duty to celebrate sacrifices conformably to the ritual. Then idle prayers, idle feasts, and fruitless ceremonies, were practised but to mislead the twice-born; for although observed by them devoutly, yet, in consequence of some irregularity in their celebration, sin was incurred in all their works, and what they ate, or what they drank, did not effect the fulfilment of their desires. In all their objects the twice-born enjoyed no independence, and they attained their respective spheres only with exceeding pain. The Śúdra, on the contrary, more fortunate than they, reaches his assigned station by rendering them service, and performing merely the sacrifice of preparing food, in which no rules determine what may or may not be eaten, what may or may not be drunk. Therefore, most excellent sages, is the Śúdra fortunate."

Hello JS.

Pls state this in the thread I created so that we won't derail the thread. :)

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/hinduism-dir/161196-can-shudras-study-vedas.html

Ravi500

That's not what your quote from sivAnanda saraswatI said though,, you wrote "...who follows the Varnashrama Dharmas, he who worships the Avataras and studies the Vedas, is a Hindu.”

Considering the fact that this pertains to the topic of the thread, I won't mind answering his.

The concept of the avatars is among the Shaivites as well. I am aware of a few presumed avatars of Shiva, including Adi Shankaracharya and others.

The general focus here is on whether theism is effective in defining the Hindu or not !

Also Swami Sivananda does not appear to be casteist himself , as he had a Dalit guru for martial arts, and prostrated before him.

The varnashrama dharma he stated could be the fluid one, which is the true one as well, where one's karma determines the caste and not birth.

Ravi500

Since the other thread is totally derailed, I felt it was time to redo it. I read most of it over and edited the OP substantially, adding what others had added, and combining several points. It never was intended as a test of sorts, but as a reflective tool, mostly for newcomers exploring our faith. In the west, Hinduism is often very misunderstood, most especially the practices.

Clearly anyone can call themselves anything. Whether or not an individual's take on it conforms to wider ideas about it doesn't really matter. I also sensed that a few people felt it their absolute right, insinuating that I and others felt that there is something wrong with you if you're not a Hindu. There is nothing wrong with being a non-Hindu. I believe that this comes from the good/bad and proselytizing mentality often seen in the west. There is an over-riding good/bad philosophy that is occasionally taken to extremes. Well, I certainly don't feel that way, nor do I thing other Hindus do. In fact, I encourage doing what your heart feels is right. [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Yes, this is true. I have known Christians and Muslims themselves in India calling themselves Hindu for innocent and not so innocent purposes, based on the definition that all born in the holy land of India are Hindus.

Indeed , the vagueness of Hinduism clearly creates confusion and a lack of clarity on who is who. :shrug:

[FONT=&quot]Practices[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many Hindus do a daily puja, and some form of sadhana.
Many attend temples regularly. Some do rarely. Some do often.
Most have a Hindu name. Some converts and adoptives don’t.
Most have had a name-giving ceremony.
Some meditate daily.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some do regular japa.
Most practice pilgrimage near of far, some often, some occasionally.
Most hang out with other Hindus.
Most listen to Hindu music primarily or exclusively. Some don’t listen to music at all.
Some have taken diksha from a Hindu teacher.
Some are vegetarian, some are not. Most shun beef.
Many dream about Hindu stuff, indicating not just a Hindu conscious, but also a Hindu subconcious.
Most call themselves Hindu in public.
Many would consult an ayurvedic doctor.
Many will consult a Hindu astrologer.
Many know their nakshatras. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many avoid wearing leather.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most know at least a few bhajans.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are comfortable eating with fingers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most never proselytize. A few do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most avoid stagnant water, will shower rather than bathe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most use incense. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most practice charity to the poor, to temples, to schools, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many will prostrate at temple or home. Some don’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most celebrate festivals, varying on sect. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most have Hindu pictures in the house, and have a shrine. Some dedicate entire rooms.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many read scripture. Many don’t.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are generally aware of their Hinduness. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most use a Hindu greeting like ‘Namaste’ or ‘Namaskaram’.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are great hosts, welcoming guests as Gods. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most don’t use intoxicants, including tobacco, alcohol, and other stimulants. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most don’t object to being called Hindu. Some do, either out of embarrassment, or from taking the stance that ‘Hindu’ is an incorrect term historically. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most were born in India, and most are born Indians. Almost all accept the many converts, adoptives, and returnees. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are householders, some are ascetics. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some practice penances, like fasting. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most perform some samskaras, or rites of passage. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Almost all practice cremation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A few practice hatha yoga. Most don’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most wear Hindu clothing, and dress modestly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Beliefs[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All believe in freedom of religion. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most believe the inherent divinity within all mankind.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most respect the environment, and love Mother Earth. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most respect other faiths, although importance put on them varies.
All believe in reincarnation, although specifics vary.
All believe in karma, although specifics vary.
All believe in a divinity, either within all things, separate, or both. This divinity can have form, be formless, or be both. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All accept the Vedas as authoritative. Most employ other scriptures from within the vast array of Hindu scriptures.
Most have goals that are Veda-based.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Almost all stick with Hinduism alone, but some complement their faith with aspects of other faiths. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many know their branch, sect, or school. Many don’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many are sect-centric, and know little about other sects or traditions beyond their own. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All see moksha as the ultimate goal of life, but recognise the other goals as legitimate. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most believe in practicing dharma, although definitions vary. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nearly all believe in ahimsa. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most recognise and respect holy men and women of all traditions. [/FONT]

My input to this is that the ends should be taken into consideration, which is the way to properly understand the means.

And the ends are, as far as I know, artha, karma, dharma and moksha in ascending order of importance.

Also ideal Hindus like Rama, Krishna,Raja Harishchandra,Janak Maharaj, Mahatma Gandhi, Swami Dayananda Saraswati, Swami Vivekananda, Guru Raidas and others can be used as references for putting down the points that make an ideal Hindu.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Since the other thread is totally derailed, I felt it was time to redo it. I read most of it over and edited the OP substantially, adding what others had added, and combining several points. It never was intended as a test of sorts, but as a reflective tool, mostly for newcomers exploring our faith. .

I'm hoping that this time it doesn't degenerate into a debate, but I don't have high expectations either.

[FONT=&quot]Many are sect-centric, and know little about other sects or traditions beyond their own. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thanks Jaya.