• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What makes a Hindu a Hindu - Version 2

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Since the other thread is totally derailed, I felt it was time to redo it. I read most of it over and edited the OP substantially, adding what others had added, and combining several points. It never was intended as a test of sorts, but as a reflective tool, mostly for newcomers exploring our faith. In the west, Hinduism is often very misunderstood, most especially the practices.

I separated it out into two sections, practices and beliefs. Although some folks feel the two are not really related, I see lots of overlap. For example, the belief in ahimsa manifests as the practice of vegetarianism. The belief in God or Gods manifests in the practice of worship, at home, and in the temple.

Clearly anyone can call themselves anything. Whether or not an individual's take on it conforms to wider ideas about it doesn't really matter. I also sensed that a few people felt it their absolute right, insinuating that I and others felt that there is something wrong with you if you're not a Hindu. There is nothing wrong with being a non-Hindu. I believe that this comes from the good/bad and proselytizing mentality often seen in the west. There is an over-riding good/bad philosophy that is occasionally taken to extremes. Well, I certainly don't feel that way, nor do I thing other Hindus do. In fact, I encourage doing what your heart feels is right.

I'm hoping that this time it doesn't degenerate into a debate, but I don't have high expectations either.

[FONT=&quot]Practices[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many Hindus do a daily puja, and some form of sadhana.
Many attend temples regularly. Some do rarely. Some do often.
Most have a Hindu name. Some converts and adoptives don’t.
Most have had a name-giving ceremony.
Some meditate daily.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some do regular japa.
Most practice pilgrimage near of far, some often, some occasionally.
Most hang out with other Hindus.
Most listen to Hindu music primarily or exclusively. Some don’t listen to music at all.
Some have taken diksha from a Hindu teacher.
Some are vegetarian, some are not. Most shun beef.
Many dream about Hindu stuff, indicating not just a Hindu conscious, but also a Hindu subconcious.
Most call themselves Hindu in public.
Many would consult an ayurvedic doctor.
Many will consult a Hindu astrologer.
Many know their nakshatras. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many avoid wearing leather.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most know at least a few bhajans.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are comfortable eating with fingers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most never proselytize. A few do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most avoid stagnant water, will shower rather than bathe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most use incense. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most practice charity to the poor, to temples, to schools, etc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many will prostrate at temple or home. Some don’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most celebrate festivals, varying on sect. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most have Hindu pictures in the house, and have a shrine. Some dedicate entire rooms.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many read scripture. Many don’t.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are generally aware of their Hinduness. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most use a Hindu greeting like ‘Namaste’ or ‘Namaskaram’.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are great hosts, welcoming guests as Gods. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most don’t use intoxicants, including tobacco, alcohol, and other stimulants. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most don’t object to being called Hindu. Some do, either out of embarrassment, or from taking the stance that ‘Hindu’ is an incorrect term historically. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most were born in India, and most are born Indians. Almost all accept the many converts, adoptives, and returnees. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most are householders, some are ascetics. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some practice penances, like fasting. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most perform some samskaras, or rites of passage. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Almost all practice cremation. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A few practice hatha yoga. Most don’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most wear Hindu clothing, and dress modestly. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Beliefs[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All believe in freedom of religion. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most believe the inherent divinity within all mankind.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most respect the environment, and love Mother Earth. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most respect other faiths, although importance put on them varies.
All believe in reincarnation, although specifics vary.
All believe in karma, although specifics vary.
All believe in a divinity, either within all things, separate, or both. This divinity can have form, be formless, or be both. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All accept the Vedas as authoritative. Most employ other scriptures from within the vast array of Hindu scriptures.
Most have goals that are Veda-based.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Almost all stick with Hinduism alone, but some complement their faith with aspects of other faiths. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many know their branch, sect, or school. Many don’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many are sect-centric, and know little about other sects or traditions beyond their own. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All see moksha as the ultimate goal of life, but recognise the other goals as legitimate. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most believe in practicing dharma, although definitions vary. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nearly all believe in ahimsa. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most recognise and respect holy men and women of all traditions. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
A highly substantive OP, very comprehensive.
I recommend it to any honest seeker wanting
to get a drop-like taste of the infinite ocean
that is Hindu Dharma. Great job, Vinayaka.​

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
A highly substantive OP, very comprehensive.
I recommend it to any honest seeker wanting
to get a drop-like taste of the infinite ocean
that is Hindu Dharma. Great job, Vinayaka.​

This is the result of substantial reflection, yes. Hopefully it causes clarity not confusion. :)

atanu

Premium Member
Vinayaka,

it is an excellent compilation covering, in my opinion, 99 % of aspects that are important. I will add: Most agree to the paramount role and importance of Guru. Many accept the teaching that Guru is Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesvara. And most agree that adhering to the tenets of a guru parampara (tradition) is important.

Allow me to add a few more comments:

1. Swami Sivanada has listed a few opinions and then given the following as the mark of a Hindu.
All About Hinduism

He who has perfect faith in the Law of Karma, the law of reincarnation Avatara, ancestor worship, Varnashrama Dharma, Vedas and existence of God, he who practises the instructions given in the Vedas with faith and earnestness, he who does Sandhya, Sraaddha, Pitri-Tarpana and the Pancha-Maha-Yajnas, he who follows the Varnashrama Dharmas, he who worships the Avataras and studies the Vedas, is a Hindu.” This is the definition given by some highly cultured men. This is the only correct and complete definition.

According to this definition, many of us may not be a complete follower of Vaidika dharma. And I accept that humbly. I, personally, follow more common Gita teaching "If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." ...... and for me it is applicable to all forms-formlessness of the Supreme.

2. The practices, means acting out, performing karma, aligning with dharma - the nature's law. Thus the practices have to be aligned to the core beliefs. Further, practices may change suitably according to time and place.

For example, not wearing leather may really be not a major concern now, in general. It is adhered to fully while visiting a temple, including the home temple.

3. Regarding calling oneself as Hindu, I agree that most gurus teach conventionally in the name of 'Hinduism' yet most also agree that the term 'Sanatana dharma' or 'Vaidika dharma' are actually more appropriate. The 'Hindu' word is not even Sanskrit and has no root in India. It came into usage through western media. However, I would say that most Hindus will not argue over use of words unless the basic meaning of a core belief is changed in some way. Many institutions might have denied that they were "Hindu' mainly for this reason. However, many Gurus have not stuck to such interpretations and have used Hindu or Sanatana or Vaidika interchangeably.

4. As per Sanatana Dharma, the dharma-s are of four types: Sanatana, Samanya, Varna-asrama, and Yuga. It is important to understand this to understand the relative importance of the various beliefs and the practices. I copy below an extract. More can be read from the below cited book.

http://www.dlshq.org/download/hinduismbk.htm#_VPID_5

Dharma can be classified under two heads: (i) Samanya or the general, universal Dharma and (ii) Visesha or the specific, personal Dharma. Contentment, forgiveness, self-restraint, non-stealing, purity, control of senses, discrimination between right and wrong, between the real and the unreal, spiritual knowledge, truthfulness and absence of anger come under the general or universal Dharma. The rules of the castes and orders of life are specific Dharmas. These are the tenfold characteristics of Dharma according to Manu.

Dharma assumes various kinds: Sanatana Dharma (Eternal Law), Samanya Dharma (general duty), Visesha Dharma (special duty), Varnasrama Dharma (duties of Caste and Order), Svadharma (one’s own duty), Yuga Dharma (duty of the Age), Kula Dharma (duty of family), Manava Dharma (duty of man), Purusha Dharma (duty of male), Stri Dharma (duty of female), Raja Dharma (duty of king), Praja Dharma (duty of subjects), Pravritti Dharma (duty in worldly life) and Nivritti Dharma (duty in spiritual life).

5. I will also like to isolate the Core beliefs, agreement to which is essential feature of Hinduism-Sanatana dharma. Lay followers, while not knowing a lot of darsana, have shraddhA on the guru on this aspect.

The core belief is that the Sanatana dharma is Vaidika and revealed by Ishwara to the Rishis of yore. In the matter of Dharma, the Vedas are the ultimate authority. All Hindu teachers emphasise this.

All About Hinduism

Hinduism is also known by the names Sanatana-Dharma and Vaidika-Dharma.

Sanatana-Dharma means eternal religion. Hinduism is as old as the world itself. Hinduism is the mother of all religions. Hindu scriptures are the oldest in the world, Sanatana-Dharma is so called, not only because it is eternal, but also because it is protected by God and because it can make us eternal.

Vaidika-Dharma means the religion of the Vedas. The Vedas are the foundational scriptures of Hinduism. The ancient Rishis and sages of India have expressed their intuitive spiritual experiences (Aparoksha-Anubhuti) in the Upanishads. These experiences are direct and infallible. Hinduism regards the spiritual experiences of the Rishis of yore as its authority. The priceless truths that have been discovered by the Hindu Rishis and sages through millennia constitute the glory of Hinduism. Therefore, Hinduism is a revealed religion.

6. A shraddhA in Sruti and Smriti: Veda (with its six darsanas) and prasthanatrayi (upanishads, Brahma sutras, Gita) is considered essential. Again, the lay Hindu may not know any Sruti but has shraddhA in Guru who knows.

darśanas
Prasthanatrayi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia

Any one interested to read in detail from actual Hindu teachers may read from the following:

Hindu Dharma: : kamakoti.org
All About Hinduism
Welcome to the Heart of Hinduism

If one reads through these texts written by teachers of different schools, one will see that the Core beliefs are the same.

Last edited:

Maya3

Good explanation of what Hinduism is and what Hindus do.

I only have one question. What about stagnant water? I have never even heard of that.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Good explanation of what Hinduism is and what Hindus do.

I only have one question. What about stagnant water? I have never even heard of that.

Maya

I think it probably comes from the history of bathing in rivers, and at village wells. I learned it from my Tamil friends here, and it may not be as common as I think. The bathtubs always had two pots, one small, one large. So it was a simulation of the well. The large bucket collects the water and the person uses the small bucket to pour water over themselves.

Even at lakes (stagnant water or water that is not flowing) the devotee will pour the water over themselves rather than just soak in it. So showers are fine, but sitting and soaking in a a tub of water would be considered unclean. Many people I know have almost an aversion to swimming pools from this.

Washing dishes is the same. The tap keeps flowing. Of course, with today's pollution, it's not all that valid.

Maybe it's a metaphor for life too. Just keep flowing. Don't stagnate.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Hinduism is known by the name Sanatana Dharma.
Kindly note this is from the page friend atanu has linked by Swami Shivananda.
It is also personal understanding that Sanatana Dharma is eternal and covers all humans following any paths/ways/religions.

Love & rgds

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Don't stagnate.
Should our thoughts stagnate, just like a pond covered with algae? No churning of thoughts? Also I am amused by your use of 'some do this', 'some don't'. Do you think what you have written is applicable to all Hindus? Kindly do not mind my post. I would not do it any further. Have a nice time. :)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
[FONT=&quot]Most don’t object to being called Hindu. Some do, either out of embarrassment, or from taking the stance that ‘Hindu’ is an incorrect term historically. [/FONT]

I'd just like to add to this a bit. From the many Hindus I have met, most recognise that the correct term is Sanatana Dharma but just go with the common usage term ... Hindu. Especially for non-Hindus who are most likely unfamiliar with the term 'Sanatana Dharma'. I have a friend named Thanigasalam. Everyone calls him Thani. So it's like that. :)

Maya3

I think it probably comes from the history of bathing in rivers, and at village wells. I learned it from my Tamil friends here, and it may not be as common as I think. The bathtubs always had two pots, one small, one large. So it was a simulation of the well. The large bucket collects the water and the person uses the small bucket to pour water over themselves.

Even at lakes (stagnant water or water that is not flowing) the devotee will pour the water over themselves rather than just soak in it. So showers are fine, but sitting and soaking in a a tub of water would be considered unclean. Many people I know have almost an aversion to swimming pools from this.

Washing dishes is the same. The tap keeps flowing. Of course, with today's pollution, it's not all that valid.

Maybe it's a metaphor for life too. Just keep flowing. Don't stagnate.

Thank you Vinayaka!

Maya

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The large container as well as the tumbler used for bathing was cleaned thoroughly. Hygienic. The tumbler was not kept on the ground but on something which too had been cleaned thoroughly. Same goes for the utensils which were used to store drinking water and those that were used in the kitchen. They were always shining. Bathing before preparing food was the normal. Kitchen area was regularly cleaned. Wood ash from the kitchen was used to clean the utensils. 'Shoucha' - cleanliness. We were quite thorough about it.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

The reason for brining out the term 'sanatan dharma' was to bring about that it is cultural rather than being a member of a rigid community of followers following or having fixed practices.
Amongst the dos provided by friend Vinayaka none can be said to be exclusive to only a certain types of humans as dharma is open for anyone to practise and by default every one practices dharma knowingly / unknowingly and that which is sanatan.

Love & rgds

Sees

Dragonslayer
Good thread, I've learned a couple of new things :)

How often would you all say the average Hindu prays daily outside of puja and japa?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Sees,

prays daily outside of puja and japa?
Puja is in sanskrit what praying is in english.
quote wiki:
Pūjā is a prayer ritual performed by Hindus to host, honour and worship one or more deities, or to spiritually celebrate an event.[1][2] Sometimes spelled phonetically as Pooja or Poojah, it may honour or celebrate the presence of special guest(s), or their memories after they pass away. The word Pūjā (Devanagari: पूजा) comes from Sanskrit, and means reverence, honour, homage, adoration, and worship.[3] Puja rituals are also held by Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs.

Love & rgds

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you, what about spontaneous prayer more specifically?

Depends on the individual. As stated, most are quite aware of their Hinduness. For example, many have a Ganesha in the car on the dash, and would say or think something as short as 'Aum Ganesha' before starting out, even on a short trip. Sannyasins and serious sadhaks will attempt to go to bed with their mantra in their mind, and awake on the same syllable.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How often would you all say the average Hindu prays daily outside of puja and japa?
Average? For a Hindu? Perhaps women worship once a day in the morning as also visit the temple. Some men have their puja in the morning. Men would visit the temple in the evening. That serves as a community visit as well as worship. Some would go on particular days to temples of their deities, for example Tuesday to a Hanuman temple, Friday to a Devi temple, etc. Some would neither offer any puja or visit the temples except rarely. And yes, as Vinayaka said, Gods or Goddesses would always be with us, whether travelling in a public bus, private car, the rail engine driver will perhaps have an image in the engine. Never visited in the cockpit of an airplane, perhaps pilots also may have some thing like that. And sure, 'Sri Ganeshaya Namah', 'Ganapati Bappa Moria', 'Jai Mata ki' is when you start a car.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Thank you, what about spontaneous prayer more specifically?

For me, it's the usual:​
"Oh Gods, I hope all of You
grant me an A on this class
assignment. Don't worry,
I won't forget to cite my
sources. Hail!"​