• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What languages do you know?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
For me I speak only two languages, my native language, which is Arabic, and the language of most of my university studies, which is English.

I spent some years as a student in the UK where I had an opportunity to take my English speaking capabilities to a higher level!

I have chosen not to learn a third language, because I felt when I was younger, that the more languages you know the less deeper you can study them.

So that is my story with languages?

Give your story with them please :)

Vee

Premium Member
For me I speak only two languages, my native language, which is Arabic, and the language of most of my university studies, which is English.

I spent some years as a student in the UK where I had an opportunity to take my English speaking capabilities to a higher level!

I have chosen not to learn a third language, because I felt when I was younger, that the more languages you know the less deeper you can study them.

I speak English, French, Portuguese and Spanish. I've always liked languages, it was just a natural thing to learn a few. And I have to say it's extremely useful.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Italian is my Native language. Second language Spanish, then English, then French, then German.

Studying German literature in German allowed me to learn hundreds of words. So my level is C1

I must say I am very natural speaking Spanish...and English of course.

Luckily many from the Arab world can speak French...so I don't have to learn Arabic:p

Altfish

Veteran Member
I speak English, my native tongue.
I've tried to speak other languages and failed miserably; I'm not proud of it.
I can speak a little French and can order food but when they speak back, the wheels come off.
I also did Latin at school and can still quote some of that.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I never was good at languages at school. I almost constantly was at a D level in German (my native tongue), English and French (more like an F, but the teacher was very merciful). I stopped taking French after 10th grade and English after 11th. Then I started studying CS and found that most literature was in English. So I learned English after school.
Learning programing languages helped a lot and I think I could learn natural languages much faster today than in school. I also understand (but don't speak) Low-German and much of Dutch.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I speak two languages... English (my native language) and Spanish (my wife's native language). We are looking forward to learning French together.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

English primary, French (Grandmother spoke), Spanish(Wives Family)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Having visited over 13 countries, I was able to muddle through "Hello?";"Where's the bathroom?"; and "Where's the beer?" in most cases. The only country the threw me was Greece; I never did catch the lingo there. It was --yeah, you know what's coming--all Greek to me.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Having visited over 13 countries, I was able to muddle through "Hello?";"Where's the bathroom?"; and "Where's the beer?" in most cases. The only country the threw me was Greece; I never did catch the lingo there. It was --yeah, you know what's coming--all Greek to me.
Greek is incredibly difficult...
My Greek friend and I communicate in English:p

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I'm fluent in French (high school, tertiary, travels, friends). When I brush it up, I'm fluent in Latin (high school, classics.)

I know middle English (Chaucer) and early modern English (Shakespeare) comfortably well, and I used to be much better than I am now at Old English / Anglo-Saxon (tertiary English). I can make my way through Italian (and Dante's Italian) and Spanish, more slowly in German (Hölderlin, Rilke) and Hungarian (OG). I can somewhat manage modern Greek (OG), book in hand with koine Greek (NT) and old Greek (mostly Sophocles, some Plato).

I've lost much of my Scots Gaelic (family history). I can make myself understood in Russian (Pushkin and Chekhov). And I used to be able to get by in Tok Pisin (Papua New Guinea).

The main thing is not to be afraid.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
My native language is English. I can't say that I am fluent in any other language, but I can make my way in French. I have a smattering of Spanish and am in the process of learning Chinese (Mandarin).

GoodbyeDave

I don't speak any language other than English. If the text is on a subject I understand, rather than a literary one, I have a usable reading knowledge of French and Latin, and I've got through Italian and Spanish when necessary. With a dictionary and grammar book, I'll tackle Greek and German, but only in desperation.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am pretty good at picking up language, maybe a compensation for other problems ;-). English (central Lancashire dialect) is my native language, (i do Yorkshire and queens english well and a bit of scouse). I am fairly fluent in French (occitain dialect, quite good at other regional dialects). Passable in high German (can't get my tongue around low german) and Italian, i am not fluent and use a lot of arm waving and pointing but can get by. I can order food in Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Hindi and Tamil. And know a bit of Russian and Polish.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm an American. I can barely speak English.

(That's an "inside" joke.)
There's an old joke/observation.

To know two languages is to be bilingual.

To know several languages is to be multilingual.

To know *one* language is to be American.

Heyo

Veteran Member
1e2f9r.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There's an old joke/observation.

To know two languages is to be bilingual.

To know several languages is to be multilingual.

To know *one* language is to be American.

I have endless hours of mirth sipping coffee in the morning sunshine and watching Americans trying to negotiate Sarlat market.

I know many of the stallholders have at least a smattering of English but a loud and getting louder by the monent american always brings out the french in them.