• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your Last Name/Surname and what is its Origin?

CynthiaCypher

If someone with ill-intent wants to find out who you are, they will. If they have such ill-intent, they probably have the computer skills to find out who you are anyway. Personal experience (as in me being the target).

Actually...no. Doxxing is really easy, all a person needs is some very basic information and the L33t computers skill of knowing how to use a search engine. Personal experience (and it's none of your business)

xkatz

I just made some credit card donations & purchases from C Cypher's accounts:
- NRA
- Cato Institute
- The Men's Rights Institute
- The Libertarian Party
- Atheists A Gogo
- Date-A-Neckbeard

You might be miffed right now, but you'll thank me when you meet the weirdly bearded geek of your dreams.

140365554899.gif

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mine ostensibly had an O' in front of it but the O was dropped due to the anti-Irish backlash in the 1800's. And that's not burn, S2, that's Irish tan.
LOL! Irish tan! Having Irish blood in me (the surname went the way of my grandmother's brother's family), I've not thought of it as burning or tanning, but broiling.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Why are you guys giving out personal info to complete stranger, some of whom might not like you. What if some of them want to dox you guys?

It's because we are a bunch of too nice and too kind people :D

So um, what's your name :flirt:

You're right tho. Sometimes being too trusting gets us in trouble :(

ametist

mine means falcon. my grand grand father picked it. they used to live in a rural area. probably they liked falcons.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Would you want my maiden name or my married name. My maiden name is Spanish: Barreras- it means Barriers. I don't want to do my married name.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Why are you guys giving out personal info to complete stranger, some of whom might not like you. What if some of them want to dox you guys?

My last name is so common that it doesn't matter and no one knows what my legal first name is, so they'd never find anything out about me.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I won't give my last name but it is of highland Scottish (MacDonald Clan) lineage, although it is believed to be of Viking origin prior to that.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Original Surname Doublevoskus Lithuanian
Changed by my grandfather to Dombroski.

But Grandmother was
Rondeau (French)

Other Grandfather
Durling I believe was originally Dorland traced back to the 1600's supposedly (Dutch)
Grandmother
Quinnin (Irish)

CynthiaCypher

Original Surname Doublevoskus Lithuanian
Changed by my grandfather to Dombroski.

But Grandmother was
Rondeau (French)

Other Grandfather
Durling I believe was originally Dorland traced back to the 1600's supposedly (Dutch)
Grandmother
Quinnin (Irish)

Guys quit giving out this info. Bob are you between the ages 45 and 49? It's really easy people.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
in doing my own family geneology I have come to find that my surname, Coon, was originally Gohn and was anglesized during the American Revolution due to the disgust my German ancestors had of the Hessian mercenaries.

Gohn is a Germanized form of the name John.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Mine, not surprisingly, is Dantas. Literally, "of the piers" or "of the tapirs".

It comes from Portugal, where there was once in fact a "Count of Antas".

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I did my maiden name, I guess I can do my married name as well: It is German. The name apparantly is derived from the name "Zacharias", a Tanakh prophet and the Father of John the Baptist in the Christian scriptures.