• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those religions who allow nonsuicidal self-injury?

sovietchild

What is wrong with those religions who allows this fashion? Is it an extreme way to remember history? Is it not a form of sacrafice?

What is wrong with those religions that allows cutting themselves with swords and knives?

Rational Agnostic

What is wrong with those religions who allows this fashion? Is it an extreme way to remember history? Is it not a form of sacrafice?

What is wrong with those religions that allows cutting themselves with swords and knives?

Agreed, there is something wrong with religions that permit people to harm themselves, both suicidally and non-sucidially.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
To some people it may be a sign of intense identification with the suffering of their religious founders and brethren. To some it might be to punish the flesh for its weakness (and symbolically it could work as a reminder); even fasting can be a reminder against weaknesses of the flesh. Also for training of the mind, it can help the mind learn to ignore physical pain making it more steady in all circumstances.

I personally have no interest in engaging in such practices.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nothing. Nothing is wrong with this or any other ideas presented different than your own. In fact there is nothing wrong with people declaring that everyone else and all other viewpoints except one's own are wrong. The world is constantly in a perfect state of evolving, although I and others lean towards this degree of intolerance being somewhere near the lower states of a soul's evolution.

And yes, I've done kavadi (google it) but there is no way you would understand it or the reasons behind it.

Kirran

Premium Member
And yes, I've done kavadi (google it) but there is no way you would understand it or the reasons behind it.

Ah, you have? I didn't know that.

At SV a guy once requested a swami put a vel through his tongue for him. He did it, but afterwards said it was going too far.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Admit it, you're just doing this for the attention, aren't you?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

I'm just going to leave this picture from the following link here...

ashura-2016.jpg

sovietchild

Admit it, you're just doing this for the attention, aren't you?

I'm sorry to trouble you but I prefer if you contribute to this topic what you think about this fashion, is there nothing wrong or is there something wrong with those religions.

I have never herd about that. I will youtube it.

It made my stomach sick and I turned it off.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ah, you have? I didn't know that.

At SV a guy once requested a swami put a vel through his tongue for him. He did it, but afterwards said it was going too far.

There is an aversion at first, yes, but its really associated with Murugan worship. In places where its considered normal, the piercers have tons of experience, and are really good at what they do. No different than acupuncture, (very quickly very straight, and with confidence. I had one through both cheeks, and two by the eyebrows) but I imagine OP would have a problem with that too.

Kirran

Premium Member
There is an aversion at first, yes, but its really associated with Murugan worship. In places where its considered normal, the piercers have tons of experience, and are really good at what they do. No different than acupuncture, (very quickly very straight, and with confidence. I had one through both cheeks, and two by the eyebrows) but I imagine OP would have a problem with that too.

I think getting it through the tongue can be quite damaging. Tapas has its place, you know? Some people get carried away and lose sight of what it's about.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think getting it through the tongue can be quite damaging. Tapas has its place, you know? Some people get carried away and lose sight of what it's about.
Not if you know what you're doing. But yes if you don't. It's about location. In Mauritius nearly everyone got the tongue, and many, especially the ladies, it was just the tongue. Friends told me tongue is easier than cheeks. Was the guy at SV from Sri Lanka, or Mauritius. I've heard of it at the Wimbledon Murugan temple too ... in fact by a Mauritian friend of mine.

Yes, it does get carried away , and has become a show-odd macho thing in some places. In Malaysia they banned the loud non bhakti music.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Vanakkam

Nothing is wrong with those
I hope to do Kavadi one day in my life ! You are blessed VinayakaJi

Aum Namah Shivaya

Ask around at the Ganesha temple. Here this year may be the first time its done with such gusto and in that way. I finally found a piercer, so we'll see what happens. If you really wanted it, I could hook you up with friends in Mauritius who would guide you along.

sovietchild

I don't like it myself, but if it's of their free will, I say let them do it. Think of it this way, at least they are not hurting others.

Well this topic about religions. So do those religions hurt others? And what is wrong with those religions?