• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who worship spirits?

Kirran

Premium Member

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Bur Jainarayan, you know what they say about the Welsh, right?

No, I'm off my game. :confused:

Bob Hope used to say he knew one word of Welsh... Raquel. Of course the spelling and sound is different but jokes in the 1960s were dumb anyway. Wait... they still are.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
In Spanish, or in English also? :O

No, just Spanish. I pick up a Texas accent in English. No idea why.. I've lived in NJ all my life. o_O Maybe I was from Texas in a past life. I mean, I must like cowboys for some reason. I have a funny story about that for another thread (it's clean).

My friend who works at the temple is the same way. She turns her accent on and off like a light switch. She can be talking to me without any accent, then answers the phone and goes full-on Hinglish. It's hilarious.

Kirran

Premium Member
No, I'm off my game. :confused:

Bob Hope used to say he knew one word of Welsh... Raquel. Of course the spelling and sound is different but jokes in the 1960s were dumb anyway. Wait... they still are.

You're not even going to try and insult the Welsh? That's very rude, I was just gearing up to defend them.

They're on their own next time.

Kirran

Premium Member
No, just Spanish. I pick up a Texas accent in English. No idea why.. I've lived in NJ all my life. o_O Maybe I was from Texas in a past life. I mean, I must like cowboys for some reason. I have a funny story about that for another thread (it's clean).

My friend who works at the temple is the same way. She turns her accent on and off like a light switch. She can be talking to me without any accent, then answers the phone and goes full-on Hinglish. It's hilarious.

That's pretty surreal, wonder how that happened. A clean story about your cowboy thing?

Hahaha, yeah there's some name for that, when you revert back to your old accent when you talk to people from back in the day. Like you get people switch from thick Yorkshire to Scottish accents when they talk to their parents and stuff :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You're not even going to try and insult the Welsh? That's very rude, I was just gearing up to defend them.

They're on their own next time.

Ooh wait, I got one! In A Man For All Seasons, when Sir Thomas More is on trial, he tells Richard Rich, who became Lord Chancellor of Wales under Henry VIII, and betrayed More that it's one thing to sell one's soul for gold, "but for Wales!?"

Kirran

Premium Member
Ooh wait, I got one! In A Man For All Seasons, when Sir Thomas More is on trial, he tells Richard Rich, who became Lord Chancellor of Wales under Henry VIII, and betrayed More that it's one thing to sell one's soul for gold, "but for Wales!?"

Take that Welsh people!

rugby-fans-79453325.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you believe in bad luck? I believe there is 2 ways to score a goal. 1 is highly skillfully and the other one is very lucky.

It's purely a way of describing things that occured outside our direct control or intent. 'Luck' itself does not exist. You cannot be, for example, a lucky person.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A clean story about your cowboy thing?

Yes, really.

OK, you twisted my arm...

I used to sport the cowboy persona... black Stetson, boots, jeans, ornate belt buckles, Jeep Wrangler. Where I worked, a large corporate campus, most people only knew me as "The Cowboy". I was in the cafeteria one day, and one of the Hispanic employees asked me, out of the blue:

Him: Where are joo fron?
Me: uh, building C.
Him: No, I mean joo fron Texas?
Me: No, Newark NJ. This [the cowboy thing] is just an affectation [I don't think he knew what that meant].
Him: Oh OK, joo like rodéo?
Me: Why, yes I do.
Him: Oh OK, joo like cowboys?
Me: Ohhh yeahhh, I sure do!

Well, it was probably funnier if you were there. :D

Kirran

Premium Member
Yes, really.

OK, you twisted my arm...

I used to sport the cowboy persona... black Stetson, boots, jeans, ornate belt buckles, Jeep Wrangler. Where I worked, a large corporate campus, most people only knew me as "The Cowboy". I was in the cafeteria one day, and one of the Hispanic employees asked me, out of the blue:

Him: Where are joo fron?
Me: uh, building C.
Him: No, I mean joo fron Texas?
Me: No, Newark NJ. This [the cowboy thing] is just an affectation [I don't think he knew what that meant].
Him: Oh OK, joo like rodéo?
Me: Why, yes I do.
Him: Oh OK, joo like cowboys?
Me: Ohhh yeahhh, I sure do!

Well, it was probably funnier if you were there. :D

Hahaha, I wanna know his reaction. And if he got what you meant.

(That took the least possible amount of arm-twisting)

Code-switching.

Nah that's sutn else, that's when you switch languages during a sentence or conversation innit? Like 'Que is it?'

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hahaha, I wanna know his reaction. And if he got what you meant.

(That took the least possible amount of arm-twisting)

Oh yeah the best part... he didn't get it at all. Flew right over his head.

Nah that's sutn else, that's when you switch languages during a sentence or conversation innit? Like 'Que is it?'

Dass rat.

Reggie Miller

Can you explain to me in simpler terms?

There is no God but one God, the One who brought the Israelites out of Egypt with a mighty hand. Appealing to any other spirit is strictly forbidden, evil and wrong. Good spirits (angels) will always direct you to God while evil spirits will deceive you and attempt to destroy you.

That's it in a nutshell.

Kirran

Premium Member
There is no God but one God, the One who brought the Israelites out of Egypt with a mighty hand. Appealing to any other spirit is strictly forbidden, evil and wrong. Good spirits (angels) will always direct you to God while evil spirits will deceive you and attempt to destroy you.

That's it in a nutshell.

Would it, for example, be wrong to appeal to Gabriel?

What do you make of Christians appealing to saints, such as the Virgin Mary or St Francis?

Reggie Miller

Would it, for example, be wrong to appeal to Gabriel?

What do you make of Christians appealing to saints, such as the Virgin Mary or St Francis?

It would be wrong to appeal to Gabriel. Gabriel answers only to God and not to any man or woman.

There is much debate about appealing to saints, such as the Virgin Mary or St Francis. If you are praying to anyone besides God, then I think it is wrong. If you are praying to God, hoping that one of the saints will help you, then maybe that's okay, I'm not sure.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What is wrong with those people who come here and chat about something else altogether?

Nothing. It's the way of things in public discourse. Conversations always take a jog to the left or right, then come back on track.

Kirran

Premium Member
There is much debate about appealing to saints, such as the Virgin Mary or St Francis. If you are praying to anyone besides God, then I think it is wrong. If you are praying to God, hoping that one of the saints will help you, then maybe that's okay, I'm not sure.

Hmm, OK. I guess it depends on the tradition to an extent. People in Catholic traditions are more likely to be open to it than someone from a Lutheran tradition.

Reggie Miller

Hmm, OK. I guess it depends on the tradition to an extent. People in Catholic traditions are more likely to be open to it than someone from a Lutheran tradition.

True. I am Catholic but I don't believe everything other Catholics do is right.