• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who worship spirits?

I had a roommate few months ago, she worked at the massage parlor. The massage they gave was pretty good, a bit expensive for me though. The lobby room of the massage parlor was decorated with idols, and the idols were decorated with flowers, candles, food and incenses. One day I saw her preparing to go to work and I noticed there was a toy (remote control car toy) sticking out of the bag. I asked her “Did someone had a baby?”, she said “No, this is for a baby spirit.” I said “Baby spirit?” she said “Yes, we believe in baby spirits, we believe they can bring us more customers.” I was shocked to hear that. The first thing that popped in my mind was that psychology class that I took in high school, it taught me that there is no such a thing as bad luck, there is only skill and luck.

So, what is wrong with those people who worship spirits? Why would anyone would want to worship spirits in order to get more customers? There are many massage parlors out there that are highly skilled, and have many customers coming in and out. Are they afraid of going out of business or something? What kind of a business strategy is this? It reminds me bit of a schizotypal personality disorder (SPD) where they appraise themselves with paranormal abilities but instead of appraising themselves they appraise the spirits. What do you think?

There is nothing wrong with animism.
If anything it teaches respect for nature.
And no animist would think "sport" hunting acceptable.

These kind of superstitions even exist in Muslims who aren't educated and it's nearly every tribe might have something like that
But it doesn't mean that they worship them.
Besides be creative and change the next titles[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Superstition as opposed to religion?
Or do you consider religion to be Superstition?
The former is hypocritical.
The later is an unwinnable debate.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Islam. Allah, he was never born, and He never will die or come to an end.

Sure, that's fair if that's one of the teachings of various Islamic traditions. What does Islam teach about spirits?

I guess I ask because in the context of the person you supposedly met in the OP, the type of spirit they are talking about wouldn't be one that would have been born or can die; it's an eternal principle or a sort of archetype.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There are all kinds of spirits around, and lots of people make offerings to them.

Icelanders still take it very seriously. Before the land is disturbed for a building project, the landvættir, (lit. land wights) are asked permission, or at least given fair warning so they (the spirits) can move to another homestead. It can bode ill for a person who angers the landvættir.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a small rock on top of my stove. That is the dwelling of the husvættir, house spirit. In olden times the rock was placed to the side of the hearth. Well, a gas stove is as close as I can get to a hearth. I occasionally (though it should be more often) leave a little something... cookie or cracker, small glass of juice. Or even better, some good bourbon, mead, wine. A drunk house spirit is a happy house spirit, so it is said. :D This is something I picked up from my foray into Heathenry.

Kirran

Premium Member
I have no particular reason to worship spirits, but I imagine many of them are interesting people so I'm open to engaging with them. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I'm easy.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Icelanders still take it very seriously. Before the land is disturbed for a building project, the landvættir, (lit. land wights) are asked permission, or at least given fair warning so they (the spirits) can move to another homestead. It can bode ill for a person who angers the landvættir.

Tons of indigenous people ask for permission from the spirit of an animal before killing the physical aspect for food.

Spirits around far more than most people know.

Kirran

Premium Member
Tons of indigenous people ask for permission from the spirit of an animal before killing the physical aspect for food.

Spirits around far more than most people know.

It seems a certain type of "spiritual person" is very interested in spirits, thinks they're very important. I've never really thought so personally. Any spirits out there are fellow beings getting on with their dharma, it's quite normal.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It seems a certain type of "spiritual person" is very interested in spirits, thinks they're very important. I've never really thought so personally. Any spirits out there are fellow beings getting on with their dharma, it's quite normal.
I agree. I'm not one of those people. They're just around, but then there are lots of things 'around' we're unaware of. Look at all the various waves like radio waves that man didn't know about 100 years back. My favorite to observe when I taught was pheromones. Young adolescent boys were the most affected, and all without knowing it consciously. Very funny to watch some days. A 13 year old girl would walk down the hallway, and first thing you know, she's surrounded by 10 boys, all trying to get closer in the physical space. Only 2 years earlier they would have had nothing to do with her.

Even with Hindu praying, its personal. Some people ask the devas for help a lot. I do, but not so much as some.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

The child spirit that your roommate has in his massage parlor is most probably a kuman thong.
Nowaday almost all kuman thong are made by some sages from temples or forest sage. It's an old thaï animist tradition that is still perduring in their local form of buddhism.

A child spirit is bound to the effigy that is covered with yant by the sage. The kuman thong brings good fortune, luck and protection to its owner, but it has to be treated with respect, like any other child: you have to feed and offer him/her gifts and toys to keep him/her happy.

s-l225.jpg

They shouldn't be confused with Hoon Payon, which are gardian spirits bound to a specific form and only require water and mantra offering (even if they are a more dangerous category of spirits, as often sages attach ghosts to them, who can turn on their owners if the ritual is not done correctly), or Mekkale, who are dangerous spirits/demons bound that require blood from their owner.(and obviously should not be tempered with)

Those kind of bound spirits are very rare to find. Most of the ones for sale around the internet are "dead" because they weren't taken care of correctly. Only serious persons do possess living kuman thongs, as it requires steady care.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
You typed "the same thing that is wrong with people who believe genies". What is wrong with those people who believe genies?
They are believing in something that is supernatural. And so we wouldn't expect them to ask why other people believe in other types of supernatural things.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Any spirits out there are fellow beings getting on with their dharma, it's quite normal.

Yes, very true. However, in the same way we say please, thank you, excuse me, etc. to those we can see, it's polite to also acknowledge those we can't, especially if we encroach on an area they may inhabit. Of course I'm not advocating walking down the street greeting unseen beings. One may find oneself in a psych ward pronto. Though I've read advice that if one is out in the woods and needs to drain the dragon, one should give the spirits a heads-up. You don't want to **** him off (pun intended). :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people ask the devas for help a lot. I do, but not so much as some.

I'm never quite sure whom to ask specifically for what specifically. The exceptions are asking Lord Ganesha for a safe trip, even running errands. When I get in the truck I say the śuklāmbara dharam vishṇum sloka. I thank Maa Lakshmi for the material things I have, even when times are tough; I rarely if ever ask for something new. I ask Lord Hanuman for strength and courage. But that's about it. I guess I'm one of those people who is not a pray-er. :shrug: