• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with those people who worship spirits?

Kirran

Premium Member
Piece of wood or plastic. Is it not?

There are pieces of wood and plastic there, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a spirit which it is channeling, it doesn't mean other energies aren't involved, doesn't mean there aren't other phenomena going on than reductive rationalism would have you believe.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Piece of wood or plastic. Is it not?

Vanakkam,

Just like bibles and Korans are pieces of paper with powerless words slapped on 'em ?

Everything has power.
If even the most meaningless words coming out of your mouth on a daily basis have the power to bring immense joy to someone or drive another to despair

Imagine what a book can do
Imagine what a piece of plastic, wood, or a leave can do.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I had a roommate few months ago, she worked at the massage parlor. The massage they gave was pretty good, a bit expensive for me though. The lobby room of the massage parlor was decorated with idols, and the idols were decorated with flowers, candles, food and incenses. One day I saw her preparing to go to work and I noticed there was a toy (remote control car toy) sticking out of the bag. I asked her “Did someone had a baby?”, she said “No, this is for a baby spirit.” I said “Baby spirit?” she said “Yes, we believe in baby spirits, we believe they can bring us more customers.” I was shocked to hear that. The first thing that popped in my mind was that psychology class that I took in high school, it taught me that there is no such a thing as bad luck, there is only skill and luck.

So, what is wrong with those people who worship spirits? Why would anyone would want to worship spirits in order to get more customers? There are many massage parlors out there that are highly skilled, and have many customers coming in and out. Are they afraid of going out of business or something? What kind of a business strategy is this? It reminds me bit of a schizotypal personality disorder (SPD) where they appraise themselves with paranormal abilities but instead of appraising themselves they appraise the spirits. What do you think?
Pot. Kettle. Black.

Carmel

I had a roommate few months ago, she worked at the massage parlor. The massage they gave was pretty good, a bit expensive for me though. The lobby room of the massage parlor was decorated with idols, and the idols were decorated with flowers, candles, food and incenses. One day I saw her preparing to go to work and I noticed there was a toy (remote control car toy) sticking out of the bag. I asked her “Did someone had a baby?”, she said “No, this is for a baby spirit.” I said “Baby spirit?” she said “Yes, we believe in baby spirits, we believe they can bring us more customers.” I was shocked to hear that. The first thing that popped in my mind was that psychology class that I took in high school, it taught me that there is no such a thing as bad luck, there is only skill and luck.

So, what is wrong with those people who worship spirits? Why would anyone would want to worship spirits in order to get more customers? There are many massage parlors out there that are highly skilled, and have many customers coming in and out. Are they afraid of going out of business or something? What kind of a business strategy is this? It reminds me bit of a schizotypal personality disorder (SPD) where they appraise themselves with paranormal abilities but instead of appraising themselves they appraise the spirits. What do you think?

There's nothing "wrong" with them. They just have different beliefs. I could just as easily ask what is wrong with Muslims; and their stubborn refusal to recognise Baha'u'llah. But the answer would be the same.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
So, what is wrong with those people who worship spirits?
What's wrong with them is that they're humans.

Besides, according to Christianity, God is spirit, so the followup question then would be, "what's wrong with people who believe in God?"

It reminds me bit of a schizotypal personality disorder (SPD) where they appraise themselves with paranormal abilities but instead of appraising themselves they appraise the spirits. What do you think?
I think SPD is not an accurate description at all. Just because they worship spirits doesn't mean they have problems establishing friendships or social connections.

sovietchild

What's wrong with them is that they're humans.

Besides, according to Christianity, God is spirit, so the followup question then would be, "what's wrong with people who believe in God?"

I think SPD is not an accurate description at all. Just because they worship spirits doesn't mean they have problems establishing friendships or social connections.

Spirit? No way? God is above the heavens! According to Islam religion, spirits born and die. God is The Ever Living One.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
It doesn't mean that there is something wrong with them. People believe in different things due to the their culture or religious/spiritual upbringing.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel if you have to worship something then you see yourself below that which you are worshiping, and that is just what religion wants you to believe, its wants you to always be under it thumb.

Treks

It's purely a way of describing things that occured outside our direct control or intent. 'Luck' itself does not exist. You cannot be, for example, a lucky person.

A sidenote, as previously mentioned, is that luck exists and is important in the Heathen worldview, but it's not defined as "chance".