• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is wrong with church?

tomspug

Absorbant
I would like a general perspective on people's experience with any sort of church. If you were turned off by it, why? This topic is less about theology and philosophy and more about religion and the way it makes you feel.

I could make an endless list of the problems that I think are in today's churches, but I would like to hear the opinions of others. Fire away!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
For me, it's the ol' bait-and-switch tactics that turn me off to any gathering of any belief system.

It'd be more honest if the signs outside saying "All are welcome" continued this attitude once visitors step inside.

Peace,
Mystic

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
I've had some crazy experiences with other people's churches. For example, my grandmother's church (Nazarene) had the preacher ride into the auditorium on a horse on Easter to reenact Jesus's entry into Jerusalem or something. I guess they didn't realize Jesus actually rode in on a donkey...and then I went to this one church (Church of Christ) for a Vacation Bible School, and all of the other teenagers there were acting really snobby towards me and completely ignoring me. That's not a good feeling, when you step into a church and everyone makes you feel like you don't belong there. I've also been in a church (Southern Baptist) where I couldn't even see the pastor because of the blinding light show.

So apparently, I don't like being freaked out by animals in church buildings, I don't like being made to feel unwelcome, and I don't like having to wear sunglasses just to prevent myself from going blind while sitting in an auditorium. :D

tomspug

Absorbant
This is the way I see it. Christ instructed to do only two things: Love God and love others. This should encompass the church's purpose.

It's so obvious that the church is not doing the 'loving others' part very well. I mean, love is pretty straightforward, right?

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i have had many good and bad experiences in churches, i have been annoyed and upset by a fair few sermons and impressed by a fair few sermons. for instance, i have been impressed by the love some Church members show each other, and i have been annoyed by the messages of Christian superiority in various sermons.

one thing that seriously put me off though, is the attitude towards homosexuals. in general, it is not positive i find.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The last few Churches I went to, no one greeted me, no one said hello. If I can't fellowship, then I might as well stay at home and watch Church services on TV.
I like singing (although I am not good at it, lol)but that last Churches I went to played hard rock Christian, which is OK, but not good for singing or they played this jingle type music with no kick. The preaching was OK, but it always seems more for new Christians just learning about the faith. I have been a Christian for a long time and I prefer more deep talks.
I am sort of disillusioned about Church lately. I would almost prefer a Church with people rolling in the aisles than the unfriendly Churches I have been to.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The Southern Baptist church I used to attend felt alot more personable than the church I now attend mass at... but the songs both are/were hymns... I love to sing hymns :D I don't think I could go to one of the modern music churches...

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
When I first began going to my church, it was perfect for me. I loved it. Then, later things changed like they usually do. People got nasty and arrogant. When I first started going, the people would get together on Wednesdays, and do scavenger hunts like... breaking up into teams and the first person that completes... finding an elderly member and taking out their trash/ sweeping thier porch/. Finding so and so per group and dropping off the cookies we made before-hand cause they were depressed/ upset/ lonely. Bringing flowers to a single adult in the church.... etc. And the group to finish first with proof won....
It blew me away. Right before I left, among other things, my friends and I went to another members house. She started telling us about one of the girls that was pregnant (out of wedlock), and was doing cocaine. Then proceeded to talk crap about her. None of the... lets see what we can do to help her, make her feel loved... stuff. I already knew, but this was the beginning of the nastiness that followed. This was the last rumor/ bit of nastiness I took. The family of the church that it used to be broke down into a bunch of snobby, groveling, gossipping fake you-know-whats. It took everything I had to keep from punching the lady in the mouth when I'd see her, especially when she pranced up to the girl in church and pretended not to know and be her friend. That was when I decided the right thing to do, so that I didn't whack somebody, was to not go. The church became a high school. Obviously as you can see I am still struggling to get over it. I am still in love with what the church used to be, and still in denial of what it has become. The few bad oranges ruin the whole place.

It is hard to overlook the cruelty in people, and see the church for what it teaches, not what the people do. So, my answer after all that venting would be... people.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The biggest problem in my opinion is the discouragement of direct engagement with the mythology and development of personal meaning. The result is a lifeless mythology where the emphasis is on belief rather than experience and obedience rather than growth.

blackout

Violet.
doppelgänger;1027653 said:
The biggest problem in my opinion is the discouragement of direct engagement with the mythology and development of personal meaning. The result is a lifeless mythology where the emphasis is on belief rather than experience and obedience rather than growth.

I totally agree.

I personally see no need for "church".
Life lived deeply, uniquely and fully does it for me.
I like choosing my own symbolisms,
and co-creating/defining my own reality.

Churches/Religions "in-vest" and "in-doctrinate".
I'm no longer in-to anyone else's "vision" of reality.

As for fellowship...
a few really close friends are all I need.:rainbow1:

Before I deconverted from christianity,
(but after I had left the churches)
I decided that the PEOPLE...
"WE" were the church.

Now I'm "just me".
(like Willamena ;))
It's much simpler...
and life is far more engaging now.

tomspug

Absorbant
doppelgänger;1027653 said:

I understand your frustration with 'religion' in general, but I was hoping to understand more your experience with the church on a 'personal' level. How were you treated? Did you feel that your views were not welcome?

I mean, even if you don't agree with anything the church believes, a REAL church that follows Christ should accept you anyways, maybe not as a member but at least welcome to ask questions and participate in things. They shouldn't feel threatened by questions and differing points of view.

I understand that the church has strong beliefs and feels obligated to defend them. I feel the same way, but having strong beliefs doesn't mean you can't accept people, especially if part of your 'doctrine' is to LOVE everyone.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
THey want to convert me.

i don't knwo if the OP is asking about Churches as in Christian places of worship specifically, or places of religious worship in general under.

assume for a moment that it is the latter, do you find any problems with Hindu temples?

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
do you find any problems with Hindu temples?

heck no! They are very beautiful and serene. I'm sure every one of them is different, but the one in Alachua Fl. took my breath away. It was open, and in a field where animals just wandered. The only thing nicer than the building and the atmosphere was the joy of the children as they worshipped with their parents. I have never seen children having so much fun, and being so happy, being with their mom or dad at "church." I know that was directed at penguino, and the OP was talking about churches not temples... I think... just had to blab real quick.

tomspug

Absorbant
I haven't been to a Hindu temple, but I love architecture, so what I've seen of them is attractive. Basically, I'm not a fan of any place of worship that refuses to allow people of different faiths (i.e. Islam temples, LDS temples, etc.).

i don't knwo if the OP is asking about Churches as in Christian places of worship specifically, or places of religious worship in general under.

assume for a moment that it is the latter, do you find any problems with Hindu temples?

Yes i do, a LOT of problems. Not all, but quite a lot of indians love their money, they do anything to get their money. Also, the amount of cash spent on idols, it sickens me. They can use that money for many better things.

But the saints are near perfect.