• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the World's Oldest Religion?

What is the world's oldest Religion?

• Greco-Roman Paganism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brittish Isles and Celtic Religion

• Chinese Folk Religion

• Shinto

• Total voters

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I recently asked a question about the Sanatan Dharma, if it is the oldest or not. It appears it might not be, but then again, it also could be. Which do you think is the oldest?

Rainbow Mage

I picked Kemetic/Egyptian, with somewhat of a bias, but also not so much a bias. We don't know exactly how old the Egyptian beliefs are, they go back before the pre-dynastic period before things were recorded.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Existence...it is only natural for man to create a fantastical dimension.

So I would agree that it is some form of paganism but not exactly paganism.

Since we are intellectually developed our spirituality has lead to a divine creation.

Rainbow Mage

Do you guys think Islam can be used to collectively describe the Abrahamic tradition?

MissAlice

I really don't since much of what may have been worshiped is now in a pile of rubbish un-legible or may have not used on material matter except through tongue.

As far as ancient beliefs are concerned, I would have to go with indigenous religions or religions regarding matters of natural phenomena, it is what man has struggled with since the dawn of his time. Many ancient artifacts and idols of worship are still unsolved like the Sphinx or the stone henge.

But again, this would depend in the context in what you define ancient in terms of the evidence found and other factors like if it is still practiced today. I could be wrong but I think the most ancient religion that is still practiced widely practiced today would be Sanātana Dharma aka Hinduism.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Animism is generally considered to be the oldest form of religious expression.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Some people in Africa believe that Botswana is the site of the oldest religion. Check out this story:

afrol News - World's oldest religion discovered in Botswana

The 70,000 year old religious service seem to center around the worship of a "Python". Those crazy Botswanians.

Being very stupid, I often overlook matters of intense profundity. However, even though I'm quite slow, I sometimes eventually find startling symbolism in life since I am a writer.

Anyway, I got to thinkin' about this Botswana article. If it is true, there is a particularly prescious, poignant irony in this story when viewed in relation to the Abrahamic religions, which are currently the world's largest, I believe.

This 70,000 year old religious service centered around the worship of a snake, which ironically is the reviled creature that prompted man's downfall in the book of Genesis.

Ohhhhh, snake, you were once worshipped and after your date with Eve, you are now scorned.

Rainbow Mage

I forgot African Indeginous Religions, but Kemetic sort of falls under that. Not to mention Kemetic influenced most of them.

BruceDLimber

Greetings! :)

Which do you think is the oldest?

In the Baha'i view, the oldest religion still extant (i.e., still having adherents today) is Sabaeanism (which is so old that the name of its founder has been completely forgotten).

Peace, :)

Bruce