• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Purpose of Religion?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is historical fact behind religions and their formations, and those facts have been distorted, hidden and twisted. Certain people following certain religions today are doing so without knowing or understanding the true history of the religion they are taught to follow.

That is true to an extent. Though, you commented about the purpose of religion being based on historical facts.

Whether or not people use accurate facts is besides the point. I mean, I know near to nothing specific about my family and their Hoodoo practices but, without online knowledge, like most folk traditions, you pick it up time from time by observing family customs, traditions superstitions, and basic things like what we eat and what we like and dislike. Life. I wouldn't call these "historical facts" but they do define the nature of my life hence they are my religion.

I'd think the purpose of religion is based on observation, experience, learning, communion, and helping others. Having accurate facts and doing things to the T as it were thousands of years ago is besides the point of what the purpose of religion is.

Life.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Based on historical facts, what would you say the purpose of religion is?
Keeping in mind that what constitutes a religion and what fails to is by no means something widely agreed on, there are several typical symultaneous roles, some of them very much at cross-purposes with each other and nearly all of them demanding certain precautions that are often neglected, intentionally or otherwise.

- Creating sense of mutual commitment in a society.
- Providing ready-made answers to people who crave them.
- Offering a reference and an authority for moral judgements and the social rituals of influence and power that need those.
- Establishing a common language for people to discuss their goals, hopes and values and therefore have the means of trusting each other.

On a brighter note, religion is also a convenient activity for people who sincerely seek to understand and nurture moral virtue.

Incidentally, it is no accident that religion is so much at odds with itself. It actually helps its demographic success, due to the anthropological nature of humanity.

Religion began as philosophy, an attempt to explain what couldn't be explained logically.

False. It didn't begin as philosophy, it began as fact of that era. It was only the latecomers who couldn't explain it logically, because they had no understanding of things held sacred.

It then began being used as a means of manipulation and control.

You were remiss to mention that before that happened, it had to be distorted by the latecomers after they killed the wise ones and destroyed evidence of great nations wiser than themselves.

Creating sense of mutual commitment in a society.
- Providing ready-made answers to people who crave them.
- Offering a reference and an authority for moral judgements and the social rituals of influence and power that need those.
- Establishing a common language for people to discuss their goals, hopes and values and therefore have the means of trusting each other.

Do you think those things are successfully being done today?

Incidentally, it is no accident that religion is so much at odds with itself. It actually helps its demographic success, due to the anthropological nature of humanity.

What do you mean by "its demographic success? And what do you mean by the anthropological nature of humanity? If not everyone is a human being, then not all of mankind equates to humanity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you think those things are successfully being done today?

Sure. That is not always or even mainly a good thing, though.

What do you mean by "its demographic success?

Religion often has to choose between becoming popular and influential or else being true to itself. Many of the most influential religious movements are quite morally bankrupt.

And what do you mean by the anthropological nature of humanity? If not everyone is a human being, then not all of mankind equates to humanity.
Yes. But succesful religion puts a lot of effort at overcoming those tendencies, natural as they are.

As well it should. The same traits that developed the tribal mentality that made it possible for humanity to survive to this day are very often a major obstacle to attaining true religious wisdom. It is maddening at times.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
False. It didn't begin as philosophy, it began as fact of that era. It was only the latecomers who couldn't explain it logically, because they had no understanding of things held sacred.
*looks at watch.... oy vey 2am again... *sigh* *
That is not entirely accurate. What you left out was unsubstantiated superstition. With edit, this is more acceptable.
"False. It didn't begin as philosophy, it began as unsubstantiated superstitious "fact" of that era."

The rest is just opinionated drivel, sadly lacking any kind of meaningful evidence.
Hopefully you've read more than "The clan of the cave bear"....

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As well it should. The same traits that developed the tribal mentality that made it possible for humanity to survive to this day are very often a major obstacle to attaining true religious wisdom. It is maddening at times.
Sadly, dear Luis, I don't see a lot that qualifies as wisdom these days... aside from my own juvenile prattle, of course... :rolleyes:o_O

ak.yonathan

Funny you should mention that. In the last Group I founded and administrated on beliefnet.com before they transitioned into what to me is a useless site, my group "SPIRITUALITY" was open to people of all religious backgrounds and I had a member who was a satanist, who shared a wealth of wisdom with us. I actually wondered when I found myself at ReligiousForums.com how come Satanism isn't represented as a forum, as well as Egyptology (well, at least I haven't seen any such forums if they do indeed exist...) So, since you mentioned it, isn't satanism a religion?

View attachment 13375

I don't think that labels are important, what matters is that I worship the devil.

I don't think that labels are important, what matters is that I worship the devil.

Understood, but my question was, "...isn't satanism a religion?" I asked because this topic inquires about the purpose of religion. So, what is the purpose of satanism, based on historical fact? Is it to usher in the total destruction of human beings on earth by getting on God's nerves?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When and how do you think that happened?

For those who may not be aware, are you able to name the Abrahamic religions to which you referred?

The Abrahamic religions to which I refer are primarily Christianity and Islam, and to a lesser extent, Judaism. There are a greater number of modern offshoot religions that are similar to the Abrahamic faiths, and are rooted in hierarchical relationships rather than on the older traditions of kinship, and some (such as Hindu, Chinese folk religion, and Japanese Shinto) incorporate hierarchy in the religion's beliefs and practices, but not through central control of society by some central leadership of the religion or a religious organization.

The organized, hierarchical religions got started once humans started settling down into farming communities and their populations began to grow sufficiently so that individuals could no longer even in theory know everyone in their community, even though they were related to them, and people of different communities had to start to regularly live and interact with each other. Political, social, economic and religious hierarchies began to mutually develop and reinforce each other to solve a variety of social problems that arose in the growing cultures.

ak.yonathan

Understood, but my question was, "...isn't satanism a religion?" I asked because this topic inquires about the purpose of religion. So, what is the purpose of satanism, based on historical fact? Is it to usher in the total destruction of human beings on earth by getting on God's nerves?
I already said I think that religion has no purpose, but then again that's just my opinion.

HonestJoe

I don’t see how religion in general can have a purpose since it’s a wide collective term for a whole variety of different things that developed in different times and places. Even most individual religions, at least initially, formed and developed organically without any specific guide or control. Obviously there are many religions (or sects/denominations) that have seen groups or individual controlling and driving them on, plus some new religions explicitly created. The purposes those people might have are likely to be massively varied and also not necessarily what they publically say their purposes are. Beyond all of that, religion can be used by individuals or smaller groups in all sorts of ways that could be in complete contradiction to the intentions of the people running them from the top.

In other words, you might as well as what’s the purpose of a piece of string. :)

Unfathomable Tao

Student of the Way

In contemplating this, feel very free to share what your religious belief system may be so you can answer from that perspective.

I believe religion represents one way we humans try to grasp the truth about things. Philosophy is another way, and science yet another. We know almost instinctually there is something to it, but then comes our attempts to wall in 'something'. I'm coming from a philosophical Taoist perspective, but hope I was able to bring some insight.

The Abrahamic religions to which I refer are primarily Christianity and Islam, and to a lesser extent, Judaism.

Based on historical facts, each of those modern-day religious belief systems are distorted and were distorted by deceit.

Political, social, economic and religious hierarchies began to mutually develop and reinforce each other to solve a variety of social problems that arose in the growing cultures.

False. They began to develop in order to control the masses.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Based on historical facts, each of those modern-day religious belief systems are distorted and were distorted by deceit.

False. They began to develop in order to control the masses.
Well, that's one interpretation. I'm not at all interested in debating it with you, or in bashing religions in general, so good luck with that.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Really? Seems the purpose of a great many religions is to enforce fear and control people.
I took the question as concerning the flock, not its leaders. To assign purpose is to single out the personal component. In the case of the leaders of religion, control is certainly one of the goals of some, but not all of them. However, in any enterprise, persuading its followers/members of one's plan or outlook is the objective of any leader. That it may involve the use of fear is something that would have to be looked at on a case by case basis. Yet I do agree that fear is a significant element of many religions, including Christianity. And in the case of Christianity fear need not be enforced. It's integral to the religion.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Which people? Because according to most religiologists (yes, I just made that word up...), their religion is the only right and true religion. What do you think the world would be like if all religions were wiped out and replaced by one religion so there'd be no confusion because everyone would be following the same ceremonies and morality amonst the members?
OK, when I wrote that I didn't realize what a harsh anti-religionist you were. I'm sure there is no changing that by me. I'm thinking that not all people following religions have the harsh fundamentalist attitude you are describing. In modern times. I see fundamentalism being marginalized as off-base.