• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Purpose of Religion?

blue taylor

Based on historical facts, what would you say the purpose of religion is?

In contemplating this, feel very free to share what your religious belief system may be so you can answer from that perspective.

Power, money, and control over others. I have been on this forum for over 10 years under different names and from different places. I have never, never, had anyone, promoting their own religious views, explain to me why their religion (organized religion) does not value at least one of these three human flaws. I used to play music with a Baptist preacher, whom I thought I knew. We played at a benefit one time and he was disappointed that the attendance was not more. He said "When I play, I like to play in front of lots of people. The same thing goes for preaching." It was all about him.

Rajina

In contemplating this, feel very free to share what your religious belief system may be so you can answer from that perspective.
Purpose of religion is to make life peaceful here and in the hereafter

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I would say religion serves as a refuge or type of oasis that one can retreat to.

There's something about lighting incense at the altar, and watching the smoke arise in quiet surroundings, as it's fragrence permeates the air, up and around the red Buddha.

arthra

Baha'i

If you consider the etymological meaning of the word "religion" you can gather a few things about it's purpose...religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods."

To bind fast could refer to a covenant.. religions are often began by a Covenant which unites and binds the believers.....a "bond" also between God and humans.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If you consider the etymological meaning of the word "religion" you can gather a few things about it's purpose...religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods."

To bind fast could refer to a covenant.. religions are often began by a Covenant which unites and binds the believers.....a "bond" also between God and humans.
Yes, that is the origin of the Western concept of religion. Most cultures have not had and do not have separate categories equivalent to the Western concept, except largely as developed in response to pressure from Western cultures. In many/most other cultures not influenced by the Abrahamic monotheistic model of religion, what we today call "religion" primarily has to do with the pragmatic, day-to-day living of relationships between the members of the culture and the other-than-human persons in their environment, which may include ancestors, gods of various sorts (but rarely an omnimax over-deity), and other spirits (plants, animals, natural forces) who are kin to humans and therefore due acknowledgement and respect.

ronandcarol

Premium Member
We were created to praise and honor God. If we give thought to everything that exists including ourselves, we should be extremely thankful to our creator. Praising our creator in a community of believers I guess would make up a church community. As church communities grow, splinter groups split off because of certain beliefs or doctrines that people don't agree on. So different religions form and exist because of believing in different God's or gods. So religions are formed because like minded beliefs come together to form and to worship together. For instance, I believe in God our creator and will find the religion that holds that same belief. I would not take part in a religion that did not have those beliefs.
RonandCarol

Power, money, and control over others. I

Well what about God?
Praising our creator in a community of believers I guess would make up a church community.

Can't we just give praise in the comfort of our own home?

"We were created to praise and honor God."

Is there a reason you believe this?

We are admonished to do so...

Psalm 150King James Version (KJV)
150 Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.

blue taylor

Well what about God?

Can't we just give praise in the comfort of our own home?

We are admonished to do so...

Psalm 150King James Version (KJV)
150 Praise ye the Lord. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord.
I thought you may have read it in Gone With The Wind or something like that. But I see I wasn't far off.

zahra67

hi.
the purpose of life is recognize god, love him, worship him, do good and obey his command, be kind and compassion to people.
in other words, faith in God and serve people.
according to holy quran, worshiping God and attaining his infinite mercy is the goal of creation.
in chapter 11, verse 119 the all merciful God says:
Except those on whom your Lord has mercy; and for this did He create them;
and also in chapter 51, verse 56, God almighty says:
And I have not created the jinn and the men except that they should serve Me.
proximity to god, prosperity in life and salvation in afterlife and recieve devine infinite mercy.

the best website for islamic books, islamic multemedias, and to answer many questions about islam is:
www.al-islam.org
www.byislam.com

Huh? Neither television nor religions are here for that purpose.

Seems that they are. Television tells lies to your vision, meaning, there is hardly any truth to what you watch on television, yet many believe what they see, and hear and are told (presented as truth) on TV. Same goes for religion, that there are many lies tied into religion, yet many believe what they see, hear and are told (presented as truth) in their respective religious belief systems.

Would you describe yourself as a cynic?

I would describe myself as a human being.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems that they are. Television tells lies to your vision, meaning, there is hardly any truth to what you watch on television, yet many believe what they see, and hear and are told (presented as truth) on TV. Same goes for religion, that there are many lies tied into religion, yet many believe what they see, hear and are told (presented as truth) in their respective religious belief systems.

Clearly you have limited exposure to both television and religions. Either that, or an extremely selective lens that's filtering out a very large number of data observations.

Skwim

Veteran Member
We were created to praise and honor God.

So you have a needy god who can't get on with his existence without being continually praised and honored. Sounds like you're worshiping a psychologically unbalanced deity. What would you think of anyone else who needed to be continually praised and honored?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Religions have various and different purposes. One of the more neglected purposes of religions, in my opinion, has been to prop up the state by legitimatizing the power of the elites. This is done by saying that their power, or that the social order, is derived from deity, or by encouraging members of the religion to follow the "authorities".

blue taylor

Religion is an easy way to make a living. The purpose of religion is to make money in a gods name.