• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Purpose of Religion?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Religion is an easy way to make a living. The purpose of religion is to make money in a gods name.

Well, I don't know if that's the "purpose", seeing that religion has existed since well before currency.

It is definitely frequently exploited to make money, though. Then again, so is medicine.

Clearly you have limited exposure to both television and religions. Either that, or an extremely selective lens that's filtering out a very large number of data observations.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I am not offended by your expression of it. I don't watch television anymore. The shows and scenarios are fictional, I notice some people think the shows and movies they see on television are real life, and they are heavily influenced by their belief in the characters and plots. Reality shows aren't really real. News/media reporting is not of full truth, if there is any truth to much of what is reported at all. I am not religious (anymore), however I have studied Theology and ancient history for over 4 decades (which is why I am not religious). What is taught *about* religion is untrue history, and religious leaders hide or otherwise distort truths of religious texts through mainstream teaching. I could give many examples; let me know if you'd like for me to elucidate.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Having a law, both military and civil if the religion is detailed for that. In the past people used to do anything they want without care for the circumstances and there were no well put laws but religions. Lets have an example; human children need their parents to take care of them. If they refuse to, there should be laws to protect their investment. Religion took, and still does take care of this. If I'm not mistaken, even secular laws these days borrow from religion, and a good example is the marriage contract.

I guess!

Based on historical facts, what would you say the purpose of religion is?

In contemplating this, feel very free to share what your religious belief system may be so you can answer from that perspective.

The purpose of religion, I believe is to provide a moral code for humans to live by. It's there to teach us values and ethics and what is wrong and what is right.

Bird123

In contemplating this, feel very free to share what your religious belief system may be so you can answer from that perspective.

Religion is a catalyst which brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be addressed.

The purpose of religion, I believe is to provide a moral code for humans to live by. It's there to teach us values and ethics and what is wrong and what is right.

Religion is a catalyst which brings so many of mankind's problems to the surface so they can be addressed.

Interesting perspective you shared. It brought to mind that religion is a catalyst that brings separation between people which causes problems that are not addressed. For instance, the majority of religious belief systems believe that they are the only way, the right way and every other religious belief system is wrong and their followers are doomed to hell or some type of damnation. If there were only one religion that is pure and true, the world would be a very different place, I believe. What do you think?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.

To worship God.......in such a way which makes one able to best pay rights of God and His creation (created+evolved guidedly)