• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the purpose of religion?

F0uad

Some use it to find a purpose in live i think most religions are for the purpose of worship.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Religion is a raft. We can take the raft and use it to take us where we want to go or we can make it comfortable and float about upon it.

Straw Dog

Religion is a raft. We can take the raft and use it to take us where we want to go or we can make it comfortable and float about upon it.

Good metaphor.

I find myself in the latter group. I try to enjoy floating effortlessly down the river towards the ocean, but wonder why everyone's struggling to go back and forth between the shores.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
For me, religion is social.
It serves socially: giving collective history, culture, values, etc.

Religion is an attempt to explain "Other" according to what they had available. So I'm an unabashed and unashamed universalist. :3

Like what stephenw said, I too see religion as a raft.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I think the Arabic word 'Deen' which is incorrectly translated into 'religion' in English explains this.

'Deen' means a way of life, that is what Islam is. Everything that we know of serves a purpose and for something to function to it's maximum it must operate/be used a certain way. To reach optimum peace, joy, happiness and contentment we must live our lives according to the 'Manufacturers Guidelines' in this case God. Everything created comes with a manual and the manual for humanity is the guidance of God.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
For me, religion is social.
It serves socially: giving collective history, culture, values, etc.
I agree. I see religion as a social construct, which it isn't enough for me. I prefer jumping off sometimes to plunge deep into the water to see what I find down there. I would be the same with or without religion, but having a community to share insights and information with saves me time and effort at times.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I agree. I see religion as a social construct, which it isn't enough for me. I prefer jumping off sometimes to plunge deep into the water to see what I find down there. I would be the same with or without religion, but having a community to share insights and information with saves me time and effort at times.
Makes sense; sometimes I want to dive into the water, sometimes I want to take a break on the inflatable yellow dinghy that is religion. :)

BeeBooga

Silent Inquisitor
I see religion as more of a control mechanism with rules outlined to keep its people on a certain life path (a very general one, still).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What is the purpose of religion? What function does it serve? And, for that matter, what exactly is religion?

Religion has many purposes some use it to get in touch with God and/or our spiritual side. Some use it to better themselves using ideals. Some use it for worship.

Orias

Left Hand Path
If you look up the etymology of the word religion, it essentially means to "bind fast" or "build urgently". In respect to that, religion is at fault for building failing societies which will ultimately bring down the world.

In other respects and etymologies, religion simply infers "respect for the ancients", or some may call them, "Gods". Which again is something that is often forced without reconciliation.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I wager the warm fuzzy feeling are nothing compared to the superior pride experienced by some regarding their own rationality and intelligence.

If we could ever escape our comfort blankets perhapsas we too would be worthy :rolleyes:
:biglaugh:

IOU +1 Frubal. :D

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
According to my belief, the purpose is mentioned in Kalima:

LA ELAHA IL LALLAHO MUHAMMAD UR RASUL ULLAH.
(There is none worthy of worship but Allah, Muhammad is His Messenger)

According to my understanding, it points to the message that religion is the way, taught by God, which helps to make relation with God -- the relation which must translate into peace for creation of God.

Last edited:

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
What is the purpose of religion? What function does it serve? And, for that matter, what exactly is religion?

Some form of manipulation of the masses. Keeps people controlled, behaved (in cases), as well as grants the leaders wealth and more importantly power. It's debatable whether this is good or bad.