• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the mission of your faith?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Unitarian Universalism is a liberal, ecumenical religion that sees its roots as being in the liberal tradition of Unitarian Christianity, as well as the skeptical, rational thought of the enlightenment. UU also believes that all world cultures and religions have valid insight to offer in inspiring one to be a better person, and live a better life. One does not need to believe in a particular deity, or affirm a creed to be UU. What unites Unitarian Universalists is the foundational principles, and in those principles is laid out our goal: a more equal humanity with unity and justice for all, and we also encourage use of the democratic process.

Regardless of one's belief in a god, or lack thereof, their sexuality, their ethnic identity- all are welcome to share in the church universal. We call ourselves 'people of the open covenant'.

UU encourages a free and responsible search for truth and meaning, in which each individual seeks out what drives them, and makes their own journey. The principles advise against both intolerance to differing worldviews, or idolatries of the mind- which reason and the scientific process advise us against. In other words- we should not have an unquestioning faith, whatever we may believe.

yes adam is prophet like prophet jesus and muhammad

God have been send 124000 prophet and messenger to all nation of human and jinn race

It was narrated that Abu Dharr said: I said: O Messenger of Allah, how many Prophets were there? He said: “One hundred and twenty four thousand.” I said: O Messenger of Allah, how many of them were Messengers? He said: “Three hundred and thirteen, a good number.” I said: O Messenger of Allah, who was the first of them? He said: “Adam.” … (Sahih Hadith)

rusra02

Premium Member
Name your faith and tell me its primary mission it is out in the world for.
Jehovah's witnesses. As the name suggests, Jws bear witness to the one true God, Jehovah, and declare his rightful Sovereignty over all the earth; we proclaim "this good news of the Kingdom" with Jesus Christ as King now established in heaven, and we "make disciples of people of all the nations" and teach them the true Christian Faith that Christ taught and practiced. (Matthew 24:14, 28:19,20 and Isaiah 43:10)

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork

My faith doesn't have a name.

If I were to name it I would name it "obedience to God."

My faith has no mission. The central point of my faith is me not eating the knowledge of good and evil.

Kartari

Hi eiskalt,

I'm an eclectic American Buddhist. The Buddha's mission was to teach us "to abstain from all evil, to cultivate good, and to purify one's mind." It's only by looking deeply at oneself, with both complete honesty and compassion, that doing good for others and avoiding evil are fully possible. Yet the world is filled with many well-meaning people who cause needless strife, suffering, and death as a result of their ignorant and cherished delusions.

Quotation Source:
Bhikku Bodhi, "Purification of Mind," http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_04.html.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
The mission of my faith is provide and give people a groundwork to a course of divinity. To allow others and oneself the ability to possess things that were only attributed to Gods, they will be one and the same with us, and with that we will be them.

eiskalt

The mission of my faith is provide and give people a groundwork to a course of divinity. To allow others and oneself the ability to possess things that were only attributed to Gods, they will be one and the same with us, and with that we will be them.
What would such things be?

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
What would such things be?
Four things: Striving for divinity is a four-course plan. Omnibenevolence (all-good), omnipresence (all-encompassing), omnipotence (all-powerful), and omniscience (all-knowing). Species are unknowingly striving to divine themselves (see what I did there?).

eiskalt

Four things: Striving for divinity is a four-course plan. Omnibenevolence (all-good), omnipresence (all-encompassing), omnipotence (all-powerful), and omniscience (all-knowing). Species are unknowingly striving to divine themselves (see what I did there?).
Yes this makes sense. We all strive for these things conciously and unconciously, some for knowledge, others for power, others for morals.
What would you label someone, who would reject to strive for divinity?

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
Yes this makes sense. We all strive for these things conciously and unconciously, some for knowledge, others for power, others for morals.
What would you label someone, who would reject to strive for divinity?

Atheosist.

Please note, I believe that in order to be truly divine, one must encompass all four of those aspects. You cannot be all-good if you are not all-knowing, as ignorant people often unknowingly hurt the good. It seems dangerous to be all-powerful if you are not also all-good at the same time. Being present everywhere is a way one could attain all current knowledge of the universe. These four things work upon each other to build a cohesive divine being.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm a Heathen. As expressed by the other Pagans and members of decentralized religions, there's no "mission" in greater Heathenry as far as the world at large goes.

Incidentally...

As community implies of having the mission or goal of having fellowship, otherwise a community could not be formed.

This strikes me as semantic nitpicking.

You asked about a mission in regards to the whole world:

You didn't say anything about other things that might be categorized as loosely synonymous with "mission."

There's no mission in wider Heathenry. I do have personal goals and aspirations for Heathenry, though. Thing is, they're largely my own.

eiskalt

I'm a Heathen. As expressed by the other Pagans and members of decentralized religions, there's no "mission" in greater Heathenry as far as the world at large goes.

Incidentally...

This strikes me as semantic nitpicking.

You asked about a mission in regards to the whole world:

You didn't say anything about other things that might be categorized as loosely synonymous with "mission."

There's no mission in wider Heathenry. I do have personal goals and aspirations for Heathenry, though. Thing is, they're largely my own.
Glad to clarify. The question was meant to say "Name your religion and tell me its first and foremost mission the faith exists for."

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Glad to clarify. The question was meant to say "Name your religion and tell me its first and foremost mission the faith exists for."

Well, if I HAD to name one for Heathenry, I suppose it would simply be... "exist."