• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the mission of your faith?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
My religion is not a faith, nor does it have some unified, primary mission. What people choose to do with their lives is up to them - there are no dictums.

eiskalt

My religion is not a faith, nor does it have some unified, primary mission. What people choose to do with their lives is up to them - there are no dictums.
Are you certain about your statement? Wouldnt Christianitys primary mission be to convert as many people as they possibly can? Or the buddhist mission to abolish suffering?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Are you certain about your statement? Wouldnt Christianitys primary mission be to convert as many people as they possibly can? Or the buddhist mission to abolish suffering?

I believe the Chrstians' primary mission is not to convert people but to make disciples of them. I believe it is the church that thinks it ought to make conversions.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

This pretty much sums up my understanding of my own religion (Hinduism).
If the question were phrased differently though, such as: 'according to your religion what is the meaning of life?' then the answer would be different.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Heathenry, a revival of the ancient Germanic religion; specifically Ásatrú, the Norse flavor. There is no mission, no goal, no end-game. We have no concept of sin, salvation, punishment or reward. It is a world-accepting religion. We are here and live the best we can. We honor the gods, ancestors and spirits of the land.

Etritonakin

Name your faith and tell me its primary mission it is out in the world for.

Faith in God -and action toward the eternal well-being of all by being the best example possible, making knowledge available/acceptable and doing good for those who need it.
Making known to as many as possible what God is doing -why -and the best course of action.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The cultural oriented rather than universal faiths Im aware of doesnt have a motive to convert as say Nichiren Buddhism Shoshu and SGI sects rather than just Christianity are more connected to family. Our mission shows us that because we have a bond with ourselves we also share that bond (for some reconciling from being victims of history) with people unlike ourselves: differing religions, faiths, etc.

Specifically for myself, my faith or Id say more path our journey calls me to know more about where I lived and used to live. It calls me to help others know themselves (I wanted to be a spiritual advisor for lack of better words). I wish we can go beyond our barriers "I practice this and you practice that" and "my culture is the victim and yours the accusor".

I guess I have a one man's mission. I havent met anyone who felt the same without they having some bias or choice that prevents them from seeing themselves as part of humanity--literally and by action not philosophizing--and not just in one's own community or individual practice but ones interaction with others.

In other words, unity among diversity.

I dont know how to achieve that. People say you should help yourself before others. We dont live long. Why not do both?

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Luciferian / Mercuræn
To bring one's Higher Self into one's life and to eventually return to this Higher Self

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
My faith is strong, as faith originally just means to trust... Oneness is our primary mission, as Oneness is all religions, science, information put together. :innocent:

eiskalt

My faith is strong, as faith originally just means to trust... Oneness is our primary mission, as Oneness is all religions, science, information put together. :innocent:
Who do you trust?
This pretty much sums up my understanding of my own religion (Hinduism).
If the question were phrased differently though, such as: 'according to your religion what is the meaning of life?' then the answer would be different.
according to your religion, what would be the primary task to fullfil in life?

eiskalt

I believe the Chrstians' primary mission is not to convert people but to make disciples of them. I believe it is the church that thinks it ought to make conversions.
That is a very interesting concept i havent thought about. Are you saying that an individual christian has different tasks to fullfil as he has in the christian community i.e. church?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Pretty certain, yeah. The religions I identify with simply do not have that kind of unified mission statement. Contemporary Paganisms are far too heterogenous to have such a thing, as are Unitarian Universalists; OBOD doesn't have a unified mission statement either, nor does my personal religion of one. The religions I associate with are non-dogmatic and non-creedal. The "primary mission" is whatever the individual wants it to be.

eiskalt

Pretty certain, yeah. The religions I identify with simply do not have that kind of unified mission statement. Contemporary Paganisms are far too heterogenous to have such a thing, as are Unitarian Universalists; OBOD doesn't have a unified mission statement either, nor does my personal religion of one. The religions I associate with are non-dogmatic and non-creedal. The "primary mission" is whatever the individual wants it to be.
Why form a community if you have nothing in common? Thats beyond.... i dont even know what to say.