• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the Definition of Atheism?

Which Definition of Atheism Do You Use

• Ancient: You do not believe what I believe.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Newest: The search for God is futile, so why try.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • There is no God.

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • I reject all of your God(s).

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Audie

Veteran Member
What about us igtheists?

This proposed hypervocabulation could
easily spin seemingly out of control,
when we consider how very many things there
are that may have some vanishing small
chance and are thus not believed in.

All the shades of non belief involved in
buying, or not buying a ticket with
a one on two hundred million chance
of winning.

We doubt any sane person believes they will
win.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This proposed hypervocabulation could
easily spin seemingly out of control,
when we consider how very many things there
are that may have some vanishing small
chance and are thus not believed in.

All the shades of non belief involved in
buying, or not buying a ticket with
a one on two hundred million chance
of winning.

We doubt any sane person believes they will
win.
But as for us poor igtheists, who can find only incoherence when others assert that God is real, we can't even find anything said to be real not to believe in.

We can't even find the door to atheism.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes. First, it's silly to presume that any of those human characterizations are accurate. And then it's just as silly to reject them as being false (for the same reason). It's all just a big waste of time, in the service of ego.
So you don't reject any of these beliefs?
Scientologists, Baptists, Muslims, Catholics, Evangelicals,
Word Of God, Jedi, New Age, Wicca, Raelism, Rastafari,
etc, etc.

Since they all lack evidence...or even reasonableness,
I won't believe in them. If that be hubris, then I like it.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes, supernatural claims have big problems, especially since there's not even one authenticated example, nor even any hypothesis as to what they actually might be or how they actually might work.
These are all undefined or insufficiently defined terms, and not compatible with the bible, where God orders invasive wars, massacres of populations, mass rapes, human sacrifices, murderous religious intolerance, and approves women as property and slavery as a norm. The God of the NT is no better, requiring, for reasons I've never understood, a sacrifice of [his] son to [him]self. Apart from the vile morality of such a course, why on earth would a being billed as omnipotent and benevolent need anything even remotely resembling that, when with one snap of those omnipotent fingers [he] can bring about anything [he] wants?
I don't understand what you mean by this. Reality is all there is, unless you count being imaginary as "being" in this sense.

I don't assume a specific God of any religion.

I made a hypothetical that if God existed then this is the perfect place for life on Earth. I claimed that this place is far from perfect for life, and thus an all good God cannot exist.

PureX

Veteran Member
Alternatively, it refers to someone who thinks that the concept of a real god ─ one with objective existence, one not imaginary ─ is incoherent.
The flaw, here, of course, is the blind presumption that 'objectivity' = 'reality', when everyone knows, or should know, that reality is not an object, but an idea. So that demanding objectivity as the requisite for God being 'real' is logically absurd. And yet so many atheists continue to persist in it without a second thought.
Which is why, for example, there's no definition, no description of God such that if we found a real candidate we could determine whether it was God or not.
The limitations of mankind's understanding of existence are not the limitations of what does or can exist. This seems to be the most common delusion adhered to by atheists, according to their arguments. That if they can't somehow know it to be so, or not so, it must not be so.
There isn't even a concept of "godness," the real quality a real God would have and a real superscientist who could create universes, raise the dead, travel in time &c, would lack.
But you have limited "real" to the 'objective', and thereby defined all non-objective phenomena (like the idea of God) out of reality. You have created a tautological bias.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The flaw, here, of course, is the blind presumption that 'objectivity' = 'reality', when everyone knows, or should know, that reality is not an object, but an idea.
Indeed, "reality" is a concept ─ the abstraction that refers to the real quality shared the countless objects and processes that we find in the world external to the self, and are informed about by our senses.

But once you grasp the difference between a chair and this chair, it all becomes clear and reality is there for you to enjoy, to the extent that you're not already enjoying it.
So that demanding objectivity as the requisite for God being 'real' is logically absurd. And yet so many atheists continue to persist in it without a second thought.
No, it's not absurd at all. There are two ways things are known to exist ─ as elements of reality (the world external to the self, as I mentioned) and as concepts and things imagined in individual brains. This chair is an example of the former, and a chair ─ anything with 'chairness' ─ is an abstraction, an example of the latter,
The limitations of mankind's understanding of existence are not the limitations of what does or can exist.
No, of course not. Ghosts and wishing wells and love potions go way way back. It's just, they're not real, are only found as concepts / things imagined.
This seems to be the most common delusion adhered to by atheists, according to their arguments. That if they can't somehow know it to be so, or not so, it must not be so.
If God is real then God has objective existence and can be found in nature like any other real thing. But not even believers think real gods are out there to be found. They don't expect them to exist in reality ─ otherwise there'd be a real concept of a real God, what to look for in reality, and how to tell whether any suspect you find is God or not, But there's none of that ─ or if there is, I've never heard of it.
But you have limited "real" to the 'objective', and thereby defined all non-objective phenomena (like the idea of God) out of reality. You have created a tautological bias.
No tautology at all ─ things are either real or conceptual/imaginary.

And if God is real you can show [him] to me. But of course no one can.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why would I?
Good sense is the best reason.

Wise men (& girlies) reject claims that are loopy,
unevidenced, unreasonable, apocryphal, &
prone to inducing bad behavior in believers.

Even though it's possible, however remotely)
that one of those sky fairy cults has The Truth,
tis bonkers to leap to belief. And so I disbelieve.

PureX

Veteran Member
Indeed, "reality" is a concept ─ the abstraction that refers to the real quality shared the countless objects and processes that we find in the world external to the self, and are informed about by our senses.

But once you grasp the difference between a chair and this chair, it all becomes clear and reality is there for you to enjoy, to the extent that you're not already enjoying it.
Except that it never does become clear. Not if we are being honest with ourselves.

Sure, we can "believe" we have grasped reality 'real and true'. And feel all snug and righteous in that delusion. But it IS a delusion. Because that conception of reality that exists in our minds and that we "believe in" so intently is only an imaginary fantasm derived from our limited experiences interfacing with a reality that exists far beyond our comprehension.

Welcome to the human condition.
No, it's not absurd at all. There are two ways things are known to exist ─ as elements of reality (the world external to the self, as I mentioned) and as concepts and things imagined in individual brains.
We can't know anything to exist except as a concept imagined in our mind. That "external" (objective) reality you keep talking about as if you know it's out there is. and has always been, beyond your cognitive grasp. "Objectivity" is an ideological illusion, like perfection, and infinity ... ideas that exist only in the mind, so far as we will ever be able to tell. (Very much like the idea of "God".)
This chair
is an example of the former, and a chair ─ anything with 'chairness' ─ is an abstraction, ...
There are no "chairs" except in the human mind. There is only energy; being expressed in many different but interrelated ways and forms. We choose to label this elaborate collection of interrelated phenomena and forms "a chair". But that doesn't make them a chair. Nor does it separate them from all the other expressed energy phenomena and forms around it and that are also interacting with it. 'Chairness' is an ideological ideal. It exists only by conception.
And if God is real you can show [him] to me. But of course no one can.
A tree stump in the woods is a chair if you choose to "see it" that way. Whatever it is that you aren't seeing, is because you are choosing not to acknowledge it for what it could be, when you see it.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Lying to oneself is indeed bad.
Would you be implying that if one doesn't believe
in sky fairies, that one is lying to oneself?
I guess you'll have to go find someone who wants to discuss sky fairies and ask them.

My point is that without being able to know if or how God exists, there is no logical reason to accept or reject (believe in or "disbelieve" in) the many possibilities being proposed. And instead, we can pick and choose whichever we like according to the functional results we get from 'acting as if'.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess you'll have to go find someone who wants to discuss sky fairies and ask them.

My point is that without being able to know if or how God exists, there is no logical reason to accept or reject (believe in or "disbelieve" in) the many possibilities being proposed. And instead, we can pick and choose whichever we like according to the functional results we get from 'acting as if'.
By that reasoning, there's no reason to reject belief in
Voldemort, Easter Bunny, Baba Yuga, Tooth Fairy, Santa
Claus, Thor, Kaiser Soze, & Flying Spaghetti Monsters.

PureX

Veteran Member
By that reasoning, there's no reason to reject belief in
Voldemort, Easter Bunny, Baba Yuga, Tooth Fairy, Santa
Claus, Thor, Kaiser Soze, & Flying Spaghetti Monsters.
No, there isn't. Except the functional value of our doing so. "Belief" is about the presumption of self-righteousness. "Faith" is about the value derived from hope.

Only a fool thinks the God question is about belief (self-righteousness). And that goes for theists and atheists alike. What the God question is really about is faith: acting on hope to gain valuable results. So let the people choose and trust whatever God-ideal they think will gain them those valuable results. They're going to do it, anyway. And then do so, yourself.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Except that it never does become clear. Not if we are being honest with ourselves.
One does one's best to be truthful to oneself. As you know, i use the 'correspondence' definition of truth.
Sure, we can "believe" we have grasped reality 'real and true'.
We know we can never make absolute statements ─ the evidence strongly suggests the universe is full of unknown unknowns. But scientific method is based on empiricism and induction, and the maximizing of objectivity and a culture of honesty. Its claim to fame is that it works, not that it makes absolute statements.

No other system has produced anything like comparable results.
And feel all snug and righteous in that delusion. But it IS a delusion. Because that conception of reality that exists in our minds and that we "believe in" so intently is only an imaginary fantasm derived from our limited experiences interfacing with a reality that exists far beyond our comprehension.
Here you are talking to me across great distances, by staring at a high-definition screen and pressing keys. You think the science is real enough, you think the technology is real enough, you think I'm real enough, you think your parents are real, you think the air you breathe is real enough even when you wish it were better quality, You've evolved senses that aid your survival and chances of breeding, and you've inherited a culture where science works and religion is on the decline, though it too appears to have been an evolved human trait.

Welcome to the human condition.
We can't know anything to exist except as a concept imagined in our mind.
That "external" (objective) reality you keep talking about as if you know it's out there is. and has always been, beyond your cognitive grasp.[/quote] You say that while relating to reality with every breath, every meal, every tap of your computer keys. You know very well what you're doing ─ relating to and often enough exploiting reality. You know I'm not you. You know what "the world external to the self" is. You know it has entities and phenomena and processes, many of which you use, and the rest forming part of your understanding.
"Objectivity" is an ideological illusion, like perfection, and infinity ... ideas that exist only in the mind, so far as we will ever be able to tell. (Very much like the idea of "God".)
Perfect objectivity is not obtainable ─ it would be meaningless. Very useful degrees of objectivity are readily within our reach, like the cop recording you on camera speeding, like the repeatability of scientific experiments and demonstrations, like most of our judges.
There are no "chairs" except in the human mind.
Ah, excellent, you grasp the difference between "a chair" and "this chair", the conceptual and the real!

PureX

Veteran Member
One does one's best to be truthful to oneself. As you know, i use the 'correspondence' definition of truth.
But all we have for "truth" to correspond to is our functional experience. But functional experience creates value assessment, and value assessments lead to moral dilemmas that require more truth than functionality can provide.
We know we can never make absolute statements ─ the evidence strongly suggests the universe is full of unknown unknowns. But scientific method is based on empiricism and induction, and the maximizing of objectivity and a culture of honesty. Its claim to fame is that it works, not that it makes absolute statements.
That is also it's abject failure. Science cannot address the problem of value assessment or moral imperative, and so ends up giving all that functionality to a bunch of hyperactive monkeys (humans). Because not only does science neither seek nor find truth, It gives us the powerful illusions that it does, by giving us increased functionality. Which we then foolishly presume to be true.
No other system has produced anything like comparable results.
Only in terms of function. But it comes up miserably short in terms of value assessment and moral imperative.
Here you are talking to me across great distances, by staring at a high-definition screen and pressing keys. You think the science is real enough, you think the technology is real enough, you think I'm real enough, you think your parents are real, you think the air you breathe is real enough even when you wish it were better quality, You've evolved senses that aid your survival and chances of breeding, and you've inherited a culture where science works and religion is on the decline, though it too appears to have been an evolved human trait.
I think science is the study of physical function, that results in increasing our physical functionality. But beyond that, it's mostly useless. And what is beyond functionality is still very important. Maybe even more important than functionality is. Because determining whether "X" is a weapon or a tool is at least as important as having "X" in the first place.

Functional interaction with that great mystery you call "objective reality" is important. We can't survive without it. But so is recognizing that it IS a great mystery. And our increased functionality does not de-mystify it for us (except by self-delusion). And the evidence that it has not been de-mystified for us is that we are teetering on the precipice of self-annihilation because of our increased functionality. Clearly, there is more to this mysterious existence than physical functionality, or we'd be doing better at it.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But all we have for "truth" to correspond to is our functional experience. But functional experience creates value assessment, and value assessments lead to moral dilemmas that require more truth than functionality can provide.
Moral dilemmas are problems for the individual brain, using our evolved moral instincts ─ child nurture and protection, dislike of the one who harms, like of fairness and reciprocity, respect for authority, loyalty to the group, and a sense of self-worth through self-denial ─ and our evolved moral faculties, empathy and conscience, and the morals we acquire by our upbringing, culture, education and experience, which govern social interactions and behavior for occasions. We know about these matters from reasoned enquiry and observation. We also observe that there are no absolute moral statements ─ against the background I've just mentioned, "good" means beneficial or pleasing to me and mine and the causes I support, and bad means detrimental or displeasing likewise.
That is also it's abject failure.
We'll have to disagree on that. I'd say reasoned enquiry, of which scientific method is an example, has been and is an outstanding success. The statements of science, for example, and the resulting technologies, have been of enormous benefit to humans in terms of convenience and health.
Science cannot address the problem of value assessment or moral imperative
But as I mentioned, reasoned enquiry can. Scientific method is only one aspect of reasoned enquiry. There's also historical method, mathematical method, and the rather flabby history of psychological research is being stiffened at last by hard medical brain research.
not only does science neither seek nor find truth, It gives us the powerful illusions that it does
BUT there are no absolute truths. Truth is the best opinion of the best relevant brains at any time. It was once true that the earth was flat and the heavenly bodies went round it, but now its not; that light propagated in the lumeniferous ether, but now it's not; that the earth's crust was uniform and rigid, but now it's now.

And in the moral sphere, as the bible makes clear, it was once morally correct to conduct invasive war, to massacre populations, to trade in slaves, to offer human sacrifice, to treat women as property, to practice murderous religious intolerance; and now, at least where I live, it's not.
I think science is the study of physical function, that results in increasing our physical functionality. But beyond that, it's mostly useless.
Science is that part of reasoned enquiry that explores, describes and seeks to explain nature. Perhaps one day it will stop the election of populist leaders like Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Orbán and more; but that goes back to our tribal origins and the instincts that resulted.
And what is beyond functionality is still very important. Maybe even more important than functionality is. Because determining whether "X" is a weapon or a tool is at least as important as having "X" in the first place.
We're not far apart. But I think reasoned enquiry will continue to do those things that are outside of science's remit.

PureX

Veteran Member
We'll have to disagree on that. I'd say reasoned enquiry, of which scientific method is an example, has been and is an outstanding success.
Again; FUNCTIONALLY. Not morally. Because it cannot resolve the conflict between selfishness and collective well-being.
The statements of science, for example, and the resulting technologies, have been of enormous benefit to humans in terms of convenience and health.
Again; FUNCTIONALLY. Not morally. Sure, we CAN heal people of many illnesses. But we still cannot figure out WHY we should bother to do so.
BUT there are no absolute truths. Truth is the best opinion of the best relevant brains at any time. It was once true that the earth was flat and the heavenly bodies went round it, but now its not; that light propagated in the lumeniferous ether, but now it's not; that the earth's crust was uniform and rigid, but now it's not.
Those are just relative facts. They are not 'truth'. Which is why they do us no good at all in terms of determining the moral imperatives needed for humanity to evolve.
And in the moral sphere, as the bible makes clear, it was once morally correct to conduct invasive war, to massacre populations, to trade in slaves, to offer human sacrifice, to treat women as property, to practice murderous religious intolerance; and now, at least where I live, it's not.
You live on Earth, with the rest of humanity. So; yes, all these practices are still with us. And all science has done for us is make us much more effective at them.
Science is that part of reasoned enquiry that explores, describes and seeks to explain nature. Perhaps one day it will stop the election of populist leaders like Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Orbán and more; but that goes back to our tribal origins and the instincts that resulted.
We're not far apart. But I think reasoned inquiry will continue to do those things that are outside of science's remit.
So far, reasoned inquiry has done mostly nothing to advance the moral imperatives of the human species. Except to give us the power to effectively destroy ourselves.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Again; FUNCTIONALLY. Not morally. Because it cannot resolve the conflict between selfishness and collective well-being.
That conflict is built into our instincts. On the one hand we have a whole kit of survival behaviors, learnt and instinctive. On the other hand we're tribal, and our success as a species is marked by and depends every day on our ability to cooperate with our own.

As I mentioned, two of our evolved moral tendencies are to like fairness and reciprocity, and to dislike the one who harms. At the same time, two others are respect for authority and loyalty to the group.

A very clear example is annual remembrance of those who died for their country in war ─ if you're tribal, that's what you do. And you remember and re-tell stories of heroes and self-sacrifice.

Before we start prescribing how we could be better, it helps to know who we are, and how we act under pressure.
Again; FUNCTIONALLY. Not morally. Sure, we CAN heal people of many illnesses. But we still cannot figure out WHY we should bother to do so.
Yes, we can figure that out ─ because we've evolved to do that, again as I mentioned. We heal people because we have empathy, because we have group loyalty, because we dislike people who harm and this is its corollary.
Those are just relative facts. They are not 'truth'. Which is why they do us no good at all in terms of determining the moral imperatives needed for humanity to evolve.
There are no absolute truths. There's no future in wishing there were. We hear about the late Neanderthals, our cousins, and we just shrug ─ they're not us. In turn, if / when the entire human race ceases to exist, reality won't even notice, let alone regret.
You live on Earth, with the rest of humanity. So; yes, all these practices are still with us. And all science has done for us is make us much more effective at them.
And I at least greatly appreciate what's been achieved ─ not least when I had cancer back in 2004.
So far, reasoned inquiry has done mostly nothing to advance the moral imperatives of the human species.
On the exact contrary, reasoned enquiry has given us insights into the nature and qualities of our evolved moral tendencies and our acquired moral tendencies; and will continue to do so.

Religion has its social functions and its tribal functions, but its record on ethics has split along very human lines.