• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the biggest thing makes me convert to Buddhism?

Eihab

Journalist
Hi,
I'm agnostic, and I don't believe in any religion, but suddenly I asked myself: what if I were in the wrong side, why don't you recognize the other religions? But it is very hard to read about all religions, so I told myself that I'm a member in this forum and I do really respect it and respect the minds of their members, so I decided to ask this question in many religion sub-forums, and who knows maybe it will be a big change in my life.
Needless to say that many religions claim they are the right and we should worship in certain way.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Buddhist?
Thanks.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I don't want you to convert to Buddhism. I would be happy if you made that choice, but you must make it for yourself, because Buddhist practice is something that YOU must do. I can't do it for you; I can't make you do it, and so YOU must find value for yourself in the practice or the whole thing is wasted effort.

I tested Buddhist practice, found that it made a difference in my life, and so I continue to do it. Notice that I said "practice" and "do"; just believing in Buddhism doesn't accomplish anything.

no-body

Read the four noble truths and the eight-fold path to see what you think about it. Maybe meditate a little. Buddhism is all about experiencing things.

As far as I'm aware of though most Buddhist wouldn't try to convert you and some would actually tell you to stick to the religion you where born with.

Smoke

Done here.
So, if you want me to convert to your religion, what are the things that make me convinced to be a Buddhist?
I don't want you to convert to Buddhism. If you want to practice Buddhism, practice Buddhism. If you don't want to practice Buddhism, don't.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
As per Smoke. But if you find that you like the four noble truths, feel at ease to go on.

Eihab

Journalist
Thank you all. Your answers are very important to me.
progress.gif

I don't know if I'm a Buddhist or not; but I like Buddhism because I don't have to believe 13 impossible things before breakfast, it's interesting, it helps me (my family life has greatly improved); it's a thinking man's religion.

I'm calmer, and I get enjoyment from trying to be kinder, more tolerant, more peaceful. I found the meditation difficult to begin with, but 16 months of doing it, I have a good daily meditation practise and I can feel the benefits of it in my day-to-day life.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Eihab,

The concept that one *CONVERTS* itself is incorrect to personal understanding.
The mind may convert in replacing some thoughts and deeds with some other things but what the mind perceives???
Basically it is only a question of understanding and merging with 5he *whole* in a way such a path/way/religion has shown and there is no power on earth that can stop anyone from doing such a thing as though one may be born muslim but still can be one with Gautam's path or also can follow two paths.
Ramakrishna Parahansa acieved the same state following seven paths including Mohammad's, Jesus, Krishna etc.
Besides its only a question of watchfullness and surrendering the *ego*.

Love & rgds

Eihab

Journalist
Hi zenzero, I wasn't aware of that word "CONVERTS" is not the suitable word to use here, I just used to see this word in many other religions forums "like Islam and Christianity"
Your friend
Eihab, :)

Renji

I think, what makes me "embrace" (although I'm a Catholic) Buddhism is their sense discipline. I've seen that on many buddhists. I also love the idea of the law/rule (whatever it is) of karma.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I have always been partial that Buddhism is referred to as a 'practice' seems to embrace the mindset of doing, rather than being, which reminds me of the 'no enlightenment, just enlightened action' quote.

:namaste
SageTree

There are some good answers here my friend.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ST,

I have always been partial that Buddhism is referred to as a 'practice' seems to embrace the mindset of doing, rather than being, which reminds me of the 'no enlightenment, just enlightened action' quote.
That is better than using the word *convert*; however if the enlightened action referred TO by any chance refers to the doer as being *enlightened*; appears to be the mind getting In through the back door.
Not to take that seriously but just a pointer that there is nothing as enlightenment but just clearing the web that has made home due to ages of neglect of the space occupied.
This space also limitless!

Love & rgds

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Friend ST,

That is better than using the word *convert*; however if the enlightened action referred TO by any chance refers to the doer as being *enlightened*; appears to be the mind getting In through the back door.
Not to take that seriously but just a pointer that there is nothing as enlightenment but just clearing the web that has made home due to ages of neglect of the space occupied.
This space also limitless!

Love & rgds

Of course ZZ. What's the quote about "One who knows doesn't speak and he who speaks doesn't" or something to that effect.... even though no 'he' exists....

Previous and priorly what was offered is understood.

I always tell people that Buddhism is NOT something you believe in, it is something that you DO.

Agreed :)

:namaste
SageTree

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I see no reason, whatsoever, to "convert" to Buddhism. It's not as if Buddhists have "the answers", though some talk a good game. That said, I still do put Buddhism, a few bars above your common "garden variety" religions. In some regards, it's not a case of "converting" as it is more a case of being aware of what some describe as the Buddha mind.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I never liked the idea (still don't) of claiming any kind religious title to waltz around with. The only thing that seems pertinent is directness, and Buddhism just so happens to address methods to help realize directness and eases the pain of ego. Do I want to convince folks to try it out and see if it flies? Yep.

Yet converting and attempting to convert is a really confusing and counterproductive undertaking for so many reasons. ;)