• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Sikh peoples attitudes towards Muslims?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
What does Sikhism religion say about Islam and about Muslims?

and What is Sikh peoples attitudes towards Muslims?
is it Love? Is it hate?

what about the Sikh scriptures, and gurus? What they say about Islam and about Muslims?

xkatz

What does Sikhism religion say about Islam and about Muslims?

and What is Sikh peoples attitudes towards Muslims?
is it Love? Is it hate?

what about the Sikh scriptures, and gurus? What they say about Islam and about Muslims?

Although I am not a Sikh... I have been considering becoming a Sikh so I will answer.

Sikhs, for the most part, have appreciation and respect for Muslims and Islam, as they do for most religious traditions.

Sufi saints, in fact, composed some of the hymns in Guru Granth Sahib, which is the Sikh holy scripture and is the Guru of the Sikhs, as appointed by Guru Gobind Singh. Not only that, but one of Guru Nanak's (Guru Nanak is more or less the founder of Sikhism by the way) closest travel companions, whom traveled with him to places such as Mecca, was a Muslim.

Early on, Sikhism and the Gurus had good relations with the Mughal Empire, and they were tolerated by Emperor Akbar I know. However, later on, the Mughal Empire saw them as a political and social threat, so they went against the Sikhs. Relations went to an all time low most likely with the last few Gurus being executed by the Mughals. However, in no way did the Sikhs ever see the general Muslim populace as evil.

In modern times, relations have improved. There are many Sikh communities in some of the predominately Muslim Middle Eastern countries, most notably, Kuwait and the UAE. In fact, there is now an attempt to rebuild an old Gurdwara in Baghdad to bring Sikh tourists. However, there are still issues, such as the recent beheading of Sikhs by Taliban in Pakistan. Also, Sikhs have been marginalized in Afghanistan.

On an interesting note, the Guru Granth Sahib actually gives advice to Muslims and how to be a good Muslim. I never understood the reason for it though :shrug:

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Guru_Granth_Sahib%27s_guidance_for_Muslims

Last edited:

Onkara

Although I am not a Sikh... I have been considering becoming a Sikh so I will answer.
... :eek: but you are already a Sikhi on the path to the mansion of the divine. ;)

Well researched post, Xkatz, I learnt from it :)

On an interesting note, the Guru Granth Sahib actually gives advice to Muslims and how to be a good Muslim. I never understood the reason for it though :shrug:

Guru Granth Sahib's guidance for Muslims - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia.
My impression is because there is no discimination, not a drop. There is no religion or person who can not be embraced and respected by the Sikh Dharma. All people are the will of the One Lord. :hug:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Sikhism says good things about Muslims.

Kabir, whose writings are in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, was a Muslim, Sufi Mystic. Whenever a Sikh goes to Gurdwara, they bow down in respect to Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and so in effect, they also bow down in respect to what Kabir spoke.

Additional Sufi saints whose writings are in Sri Guru Granth Sahib are; Bhagat Beni, Bhagat Bikhan, Baba Farid (Hazrat Baba Fariduddin Masud Ganjshakar), and Bhagat Sadhana. (Bhagat = Devotee)

Sikhism does mention good things about Muslims and Islam, as well as Hinduism.

ਸਹੰਸ ਨਾਮੁ ਲੈ ਲੈ ਕਰਉ ਸਲਾਮੁ ॥੩॥
I repeat the Naam, the Name of the Lord, a thousand times, and bow in reverence to Him. ||3||
ਕਹਤ ਕਬੀਰ ਰਾਮ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਵਉ ॥
Says Kabeer, I sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord;
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੋਊ ਸਮਝਾਵਉ ॥੪॥੪॥੧੩॥
I teach both Hindus and Muslims. ||4||4||13||
Page 237

ਅਲਹੁ ਗੈਬੁ ਸਗਲ ਘਟ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਹਿਰਦੈ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਿਚਾਰੀ ॥
Allah is hidden in every heart; reflect upon this in your mind.
ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਦੁਹੂੰ ਮਹਿ ਏਕੈ ਕਹੈ ਕਬੀਰ ਪੁਕਾਰੀ ॥੩॥੭॥੨੯॥
The One Lord is within both Hindu and Muslim; Kabeer proclaims this out loud. ||3||7||29||
Page 483

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਕਹਹੁ ਮਤ ਝੂਠੇ ਝੂਠਾ ਜੋ ਨ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥
Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false. Those who do not contemplate them are false.
Page 1350

How do Sikhs see Muslims? Truthfully, it depends. Ideally a Sikh should see a Muslim as his equal, but this is not always the case as in any religion.

If you were to visit a gurdwara, you would be given karah prasad, and given food in the langar (vegetarian food-hall) regardless of your sex, race, religion, riches, nationality or caste. All are welcome into a gurdwara, as long as they cover their head and remove their shoes.

It was a Muslim follower of Guru Arjan Dev ji who actually started the creation of the Golden Temple, if I recall correctly. Gursikh is far wiser than I, though, he will know more. :rainbow1:

Wannabe Yogi

Kabir, whose writings are in Sri Guru Granth Sahib, was a Muslim, Sufi Mystic.

This is a question I always thought of Kabir as a Hindu. Our at least half way between the two religions.He repeated the name of Rama had a Hindu Guru, but he was born in a Muslim family. Did I miss something ?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
This is a question I always thought of Kabir as a Hindu. Our at least half way between the two religions.He repeated the name of Rama had a Hindu Guru, but he was born in a Muslim family. Did I miss something ?

Nah, you haven't missed anything. He was a mystic, and influenced by tantrism and Bhakti, as well as Islam's aniconic nature.

He may have been halfway between the two religions, but what truly separates Hindu mysticism from Sufi mysticism? Not much. :)

I don't know much about his life though, but I do consider him Muslim. Probably because of his name more than anything. :D

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hi Shia Islam ,

i want to thank my friends Xkatz ,Kaal , Onkaara ji for such researched posts .

i feel the following by Guru Gobind Singh ji says everything related to Islam , Although Father of Guru sahib Guru Tegh Bahadur ji was beheaded by Islamic Mughal empire , Mother of Guru sahib along with all four sons Guru Sahib was also martyred by same empire ,little pair of sons 7-9 year old was bricked alive despite this Guru never said anything against Islam in general

ਹਿੰਦੂ ਤੁਰਕ ਕੋਊ ਰਾਫਜੀ ਇਮਾਮ ਸਾਫੀ ਮਾਨਸ ਕੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਸਬੈ ਏਕੈ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਬੋ ॥
हिंदू तुरक कोऊ राफजी इमाम साफी मानस की जाति सबै एकै पहिचानबो ॥
Someone is Hindu and someone a Muslim, then someone is Shia, and someone a Sunni, but all the human beings, as a species, are recognized as one and the same

Aslaam

Last edited:

nameless

The Creator

Kabir Das

Some people are of the say that, he was born in a Muslim weaver family, while others say that he was born to a Brahmin widow, later was adopted by a childless muslim couple.

Early in his life Kabir became a disciple of the Hindu bhakti saint Ramananda, he had a strong belief in Vedanta, Sufism, Vaishnavism and Nath sampradaya.

After Kabir's death, his disciples disputed over his body, the Muslims wanting to claim the body for burial, the Hindus wanting to cremate the body. Kabir appeared to the arguing disciples and told them to lift the burial shroud. When they did so, they found fragrant flowers where the body had rested. The flowers were divided, and the Muslims buried the flowers while the Hindus reverently committed them to fire.

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
BKABIR.png

Kabeer jis Bday on 15th June , Greetings to all !

Of whom is the soul the master, and of whom is it the servant? Where, and to whom
does it go? ||3||

Says Kabeer, I have lovingly focused my attention on that place where the Lord
dwells, day and night.

Only He Himself truly knows the secrets of His mystery; He is eternal and
indestructible. ||4||1||52||

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
The head of EDL is a Sikh...

Can I point out that Sufism is NOT Islamic! BIG misconception there.

I don't see how a Sikh could condone the violent religion of Islam. Especially as many Sikhs have been murdered by Islamists.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
I don't see how a Sikh could condone the violent religion of Islam. Especially as many Sikhs have been murdered by Islamists.

Hi Octavia ,;)

Sikhi never condoned violence , Sikh stood against violence ,oppression you can check the Sikh History ,but its not fair generalise each muslim as murderer etc ...

peace;)

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
No you are right - it would be totally wrong of me to suggest that each Muslim is a murderer, but it is clear that just admitting you prescribe the the faith implies you condone violence in the name of your cause... else you couldn't call yourself a true muslim.

I've read that Muslims massacred many Sikh in India.... just like they murdered the Persians, Hindus and Jews.... or anyone else that didn't agree with them.

xkatz

After Kabir's death, his disciples disputed over his body, the Muslims wanting to claim the body for burial, the Hindus wanting to cremate the body. Kabir appeared to the arguing disciples and told them to lift the burial shroud. When they did so, they found fragrant flowers where the body had rested. The flowers were divided, and the Muslims buried the flowers while the Hindus reverently committed them to fire.

Sounds exactly like the story about Guru Nanak's death. Were did you get this info?

GURSIKH

chardi kla
mosque-b.jpg

Posted Online on Monday, 14 June 2010 00:05 IST
Sikhs rebuild mosque demolished in 1947
By Zafarul-Islam Khan

The Milli Gazette

In a historic gesture, Sikhs of Punjab have rebuilt a mosque demolished during the Partition riots of 1947 and handed it over to the Muslims of the area. The mosque is situated in village Sarwarpur which is situated at a distance of ten kilometers from Samrala town in Punjab. A function was held in the village on 22 May in which executive member of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee Jathedar Kirpal Singh Khernian, area MLA Jagjivan Singh and the Sikh community of the area took part. The Shahi Imam of Punjab Maulana Habibur Rahman Sani Ludhianwi was invited as a special guest. At the request of the representatives of the area, the Shahi Imam presented the keys of the mosque to Dada Muhammad Tufail, the eldest Muslim in the village.

Sikhs rebuild mosque demolished in 1947

there is a respected Muslim brother in Peshawar Pakistan , which clean shoes AT SIKH GURUDWARA

Khurshid Khan, an eminent 60-year-old lawyer and deputy attorney general of Pakistan, wants to "heal the wounds" of the terror-stricken minority Sikh community in that country.

So he does an extraordinary thing at a gurdwara in the northwestern city of Peshawar.

Peshawar-a.jpg

sikhchic.com | The Art and Culture of the Diaspora | The Noble 'Servant' of Peshawar

love to all :hug::flower:

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
The Sufis were very clever.

Remember they inhabited the Middle East before Islam ws born. By a clever loop hole, the Sufis managed to have their philosophy accepted by the early Muslims. This was a form of syncretisation on the part of the Sufis.
Sufi Philosophy is only superficially Islamic. It is closer to Gnostisim than it is to Monotheism.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I agree with Octavia that Sufism is Gnostic. I think it's a form of Islam, but it is very Gnostic. It bears many resemblences with Christian Gnosticism, especially Manicheanism.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Sufis were very clever.

Remember they inhabited the Middle East before Islam ws born. By a clever loop hole, the Sufis managed to have their philosophy accepted by the early Muslims. This was a form of syncretisation on the part of the Sufis.
Sufi Philosophy is only superficially Islamic. It is closer to Gnostisim than it is to Monotheism.

I agree with Octavia that Sufism is Gnostic. I think it's a form of Islam, but it is very Gnostic. It bears many resemblences with Christian Gnosticism, especially Manicheanism.

Yes, i know they have different philosophies. However, the point comes down to wether or not they share the same core beliefs, which they do, so they are Muslims. Other sects might disagree with some of their philosophies, but that doesn't make them not Muslims. In other words, any of them who believe in God, and his prophet, and say he/she is a Muslim, is a Muslim.