• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hell?

LightofTruth

Hell is a place where the wicked people and angels are tormented forever (Revelation 14:9-11; 20:10) (Luke 16:19-31) (Mark 9:45-46) (Matthew 8:12).

Hell (and Paradise) is inside the earth (Matthew 12:40).
Something dead can not be tormented. People can be tormented only until they are dead. Because after they are dead they are no longer living.

Road Less Traveled

Hell to me is a different word for suffering.

Earth would be the only hell suffering that anyone could know. All suffering to varying degrees. Even most animals and species suffer. Perhaps Earth is hell.

A lot of hell/suffering is beyond our power to control. Some we do have the power to control, or ability to develop that power to control using the little autonomy we initially have and growing that autonomy. First becoming aware to it. Initially though... it’s ignorance, lack of power, and actions being performed from poor programming in us that nobody asked for.

It’s that bad that someone can keep repeating the same error 100 times and still not learn, and wonder why the same result keeps happening. Each time, perhaps with slight modification yet same result. And it’s not at simple as just telling someone or reading not to do something or hell/suffering will be the result. Since we were at least once all programmed to have faulty genes that override anyhow, and lure us into such as well as most people’s advice, as well as some texts are already whackadoodle to begin with.

And then following up on this, it’s all variable for everyone. Some have little to no chance from the rip what they’re born into. Some seem to have been born with more sound compasses, and some the polar opposite compasses or the same compass yet not as developed. Same as power to control levels and quicker ability to learn and become aware.

And a guilty feeling inside is almost useless. Since the guilty switch can be triggered on so easily even if someone has nothing to feel or be guilty about. Has always been a good manipulation switch.

For many, by the time they become fully aware as to what they’re doing and develop the power to control, so much damage has already been done to themselves and others.

All I can know is what I observe around me or from my own experience. For me, this life I couldn’t seem to blink without a dark cloud shafting me left and right and following me wherever I went and whatever I did while many others do exactly as I did and no troubles whatsoever. All success.

Some people do no wrong, have decent or great lots and then depression floods them to varying degrees.

And then if there are an entity(s) involved such as creators or programmers.... it would be all their responsibility for making us and designing us this way. Giving us so many flaws and deficiencies and choice and watching the madness. The same authors of suffering and the same saviors from suffering... would sound whacky, demented, sadistic, and sick.

Last edited:

LightofTruth

According to Sartre, Hell is other people. His play, No Exit, is a wonderful portrayal.
God talks about making a covenant with hell and the grave. God offers life to His people and when they reject his covenant and enter into agreement with the dead(under sentence of death) they make a covenant with hell and the grave.

LightofTruth

So Hell can only be on earth as long humans are alive. No Hell where there is no physical body?
Here's how it worked. People fall for the idea that man was given an immortal soul rather than becoming a living soul by being given the breath of life. Therefore, man has an immortal soul. Now, an immortal soul is a soul that never dies. And in order to avoid the contradiction of a deathless soul being dead, they change the meaning of the word dead to mean being in misery. The truth is death means to cease from living. Man seeks for immortality, it is not inherent (in himself).

LightofTruth

So Hell can only be on earth as long humans are alive. No Hell where there is no physical body?
Look a little further into it. If a deathless soul can not die, and death means misery, than a soul can not be in misery. therefore, an immortal does not need saving! Don't you love it!

LightofTruth

The business of the mass majority of Christianity is to save immortal(deathless) souls from misery(death). ha ha.
They are so blind they can't see that a deathless soul doesn't need saving from misery.

calm

I've got a mark on my head and my hand and I've committed many sins including most of the mortal ones.

I do repent on a regular basis and often ask for mercy from the Lord. Pretty much every time I pray for something, I usually get it.

Lots of people tell me that I have loads of good karma.

Do you reckon I'm going to go to the hell you describe? Can I change that destiny?
Making sins is what everyone does. If someone commits only one sin in his life, he is guilty and will go to hell. No one can keep the law, he who breaks only one commandment is guilty in all things. In order to save themselves from hell, people at that time (before Jesus' sacrifice) had to offer animal sacrifices to cleanse their guilt. But then Jesus came and sacrificed Himself, and since He was executed sinlessly, we humans can be cleansed by His blood. He who believes in his sacrifice is saved. That is why we human beings today no longer need animal sacrifices.
So if you do not believe that Jesus was executed to redeem you, then you will go to eternal hell. But what you also have to do is to collect good works, because just as the body is dead without spirit, so faith is dead without works.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Making sins is what everyone does. If someone commits only one sin in his life, he is guilty and will go to hell. No one can keep the law, he who breaks only one commandment is guilty in all things. In order to save themselves from hell, people at that time (before Jesus' sacrifice) had to offer animal sacrifices to cleanse their guilt. But then Jesus came and sacrificed Himself, and since He was executed sinlessly, we humans can be cleansed by His blood. He who believes in his sacrifice is saved. That is why we human beings today no longer need animal sacrifices.
So if you do not believe that Jesus was executed to redeem you, then you will go to eternal hell. But what you also have to do is to collect good works, because just as the body is dead without spirit, so faith is dead without works.
So all who are not Christians go to hell?

leov

In your understanding from religious POW or from a nonreligious POW.
What is the Hell that so many religions or Spiritual paths talking about?

Is it on earth?
Is it in a different dimension?
Is it inside the earth?
Or is it an experience of constant suffering?
Humans are spiritual beings, so, being in physical body is foreign experience and mostly not pleasant. Afterlife, Hades, described as many dwelling, in order to correct or reward. 2‘He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he will not go out from it anymore;' There is no ward forever like in English, Greek 'forever' is definitely has beginning and end. Hello associated with fire which is sign of purification.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"Hell" really isn't a thing in my tradition. The most I really have to say about it is that I view this "hell" that others describe as simply one of the many, many otherworlds (when folks aren't using the term metaphorically, at any rate).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
In your understanding from religious POW or from a nonreligious POW.
What is the Hell that so many religions or Spiritual paths talking about?

Is it on earth?
Is it in a different dimension?
Is it inside the earth?
Or is it an experience of constant suffering?

it could be a continual diet of haggis

Thief

Rogue Theologian
but really.....I suspect we end up sharing our sense of dream

if heaven is not where your dreams come true.....
then where do they come true?

and hell is a shared nightmare

and you can't wake up

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hindu scriptures speak of Hell but not in the Christian sense. Hindu Hell is more like Purgatory. It is a place more of purification, less of punishment, to prepare the soul for its next birth. Needless to say, the soul's stay in Hell is temporary. The same can be said of Heaven (Svarga). It is a place of rest and happiness, a layover for the soul before its next birth. It too is temporary.