• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hell?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What a loving and merciful being!

Do you think it’s possible for anyone to believe in that kind of hell doctrine without at least being subtly, partially sadistic inside themselves?

I have learned that people will believe anything they want to believe if that gullibility massages their own ego

Clear

Premium Member
Calm said : "Making sins is what everyone does. If someone commits only one sin in his life, he is guilty and will go to hell. No one can keep the law, he who breaks only one commandment is guilty in all things. In order to save themselves from hell, people at that time (before Jesus' sacrifice) had to offer animal sacrifices to cleanse their guilt. But then Jesus came and sacrificed Himself, and since He was executed sinlessly, we humans can be cleansed by His blood. He who believes in his sacrifice is saved. That is why we human beings today no longer need animal sacrifices.
So if you do not believe that Jesus was executed to redeem you, then you will go to eternal hell. But what you also have to do is to collect good works, because just as the body is dead without spirit, so faith is dead without works.
" (Post #31)

Calm said : "Only those who believe in Jesus will be saved." (Post #36)

Calm, if only those who believe in Jesus are saved then what mechanism is there for people to be saved for individuals who never heard of Jesus (i.e. they live in a time or place where Jesus is unknown)?

Clear
φυφυτζω

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
In your understanding from religious POW or from a nonreligious POW.
What is the Hell that so many religions or Spiritual paths talking about?

Is it on earth?
Is it in a different dimension?
Is it inside the earth?
Or is it an experience of constant suffering?

Not many have a hell, but I think people in Bible days thought the earth was flat and the universe was three tiered. Heaven was in the sky and hell was below the earth.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Is it on earth?
Is it inside the earth?

The last.

David J

Is it on earth?
Is it inside the earth?

It's undefined.

No prophet or writing ever bothered to strictly do so.

All this bull**** does is generate anxiety. See Pascal's Wager.

susanblange

What does that mean?

Are you calling me a liar? Why?
I am not calling you a liar personally. I thought the verse is self explanatory. It actually applies to all three Abrahamic faiths. All three faiths, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam believe you have to be a member of their religion to go to Heaven. And all non members will go to Hell. Actually, righteousness is the only way into Heaven and right now it doesn't matter what you religious beliefs are. The God of Abraham is here and it's only at the end that salvation will come down to belief. The end is the execution and death of the Messiah by Christians. It is called the "valley of decision". Joel 3.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Hell would be the absence of love. Heaven would be the fulfillment of love. Love is loyal.

Hell is a circumstance where a person is helpless and in pain beyond able bearing.

There are hells in this life. Certainly ones to avoid. War is hell. Disease is hell. Disability is a type of hell that can be dealt with.

For many, ceasing to exist is hell. For others it is relief and a source of peace.

Those who know true love know that it is heaven. Those who lie, cheat, steal and worse without cause do not know love. People can change though.

Sometimes there is pain in love. Funerals are a type of hell.

But perspective is important. With the right perspective, which is unique to the individual, you can end up being grateful for life, and not sorrowful at its end. I mean ceasing to exist is not joyful. There is loss there. But there is peace there too.
Depending on who you are ,ceasing to exist could be a hell. And for many it is.
Personally ceasing to exist is not fearful, its dissappointing. I hate it. And i am not totally convinced its real.

Its hard to love in a world where so many people do not give a damn about it. That is a hell. Love is a word that means different things to different people, or nothing at all.

Other people do cause hells.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?

Is it on earth?
Is it inside the earth?
On earth.. different dimension.. constant suffering... Sounds like my marriage...