• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God's highest priority?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Same problem, the idea that a god expects worship. If that was the case, all life would be a praying mantis.
God does not 'expect' worship. God enjoins people to worship Him, only for their own benefit.
People can choose to worship God or not. It is entirely up to them.

Bthoth

*banned*
God does not 'expect' worship. God enjoins people to worship Him, only for their own benefit.
You wrote it exposing the error. Worship is a waste of life. So your claim proves it is and was not from god or any messenger of god.
People can choose to worship God or not. It is entirely up to them.
i know. worship is a waste of time/life/energy. A life can do far more with the time, than play worship.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Lot's of messengers. Baha'i is interesting but most definitely not the final rendition.
The Baha'i Faith does not teach that Baha'u'llah was the final Messenger. We believe that more Messengers will come in the future, throughout all of time.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You wrote it exposing the error. Worship is a waste of life. So your claim proves it is and was not from god or any messenger of god.
I did not say that God 'expects' worship. I said that God enjoins people to worship Him for their own benefit.
i know. worship is a waste of time/life/energy. A life can do far more with the time, than play worship.
What do you think I mean by worship? I do not mean sitting around praying to God. In the Baha'i Faith work is considered worship.

Baha’is view the practice of our faith, and worship of the Creator, as an element of daily life. Baha’u’llah, the founding prophet of the Baha’i Faith, prescribed daily prayer, meditation, and study of scripture for each individual believer, and said that work done in a spirit of service is worship in the sight of God. He also spoke of an attitude of prayer that we are to strive to take in our daily lives to transform ourselves, our families and our social interactions.

Read more: How Do Baha’is Worship?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
God does not want worship for Himself. God only wants us to worship Him for our own benefit.

It does not affect God if we choose not to worship Him. Baha’u’llah made it perfectly clear that God has no needs since God is self-sufficient, thus God cannot have a “need” to be worshiped.

“This is the changeless Faith of God, eternal in the past, eternal in the future. Let him that seeketh, attain it; and as to him that hath refused to seek it—verily, God is Self-Sufficient, above any need of His creatures.”
“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.” Gleanings, p. 166
God does not demand worship, God enjoins us to worship Him, and that is only for our own benefit, not for God’s benefit.​
“Consider the mercy of God and His gifts. He enjoineth upon you that which shall profit you, though He Himself can well dispense with all creatures.” Gleanings, p. 140
“The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: “All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.” Gleanings, p. 260

God cares about humans so God wants them to know Him and worship Him, but God does not need anyone to know Him and worship Him, because God is entirely self-sufficient so God does not have needs. Only humans have needs.

“Your Lord, the God of mercy, can well dispense with all creatures. Nothing whatever can either increase or diminish the things He doth possess.Gleanings, p. 148

God has the power to dispense with all of His creatures in one split second but He doesn’t do so because He loves them.
Way, way, way too convulted. God created us so that we could bet better (than we were when he created us) by worshipping him? That is torturous to the brain.

Rational Agnostic

So you haven't proven anything about God by pointing out that God does not stop us from doing bad things to each other. And logically speaking, if an omnipotent God has any priorities, they would already be fulfilled. How could they not be?

Yes, you're right, of course they would be fulfilled--that's the point of my argument, so I'm glad you understand that part, since it seems that others have missed it. I wasn't just referring to bad things humans do to each other, but also to bad things in general that happen, such as starvation and extinction. The fact that preventing these things is apparently not on the top of any god's priority list is evidence that either God does not exist or if God exists, his top priority is not preventing horrific things from happening,

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What Bible verse talks about God's omnipotence?
Scripture affirms God's omnipotence by saying that God does whatever he is pleased to do (Psa 115:3; cf. Isa 55:11 and Jer 32:17). Nothing is too hard for him (Gen 18:14). His word is never void of power, so when he speaks, everything in creation obeys him (Isa 55:11)...............
Yes, God does whatever He is pleased to do. I find it pleased God to gift Adam and Eve the gift of free-will choices.
The context of Genesis 18:14 is in connection to procreation power. That would Not be hard or extraordinary for Him.
God gives power to the tired one.... Isaiah 40:29 as He did with Abraham and Sarah.
Such procreation was Not possible for them because of age but as Jesus said with God all is possible - Matt. 19:26
As was with Elizabeth in her Old age - Luke 1:36-37
Yes, God keeps His word - Isaiah 55:11 - when and what He foretells it comes to pass.
No promise made failed - Joshua 21:45
So, God will live up to His words - Isaiah 49:23; Romans 5:5
Jeremiah 32:17 is in connection to physical creation being made by God's great power - Psalm 104:30; Rev. 4:11
None of those verses say that God can lie, but Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18 informs us that God can Not lie.

Treasure Hunter

Yes, you're right, of course they would be fulfilled--that's the point of my argument, so I'm glad you understand that part, since it seems that others have missed it. I wasn't just referring to bad things humans do to each other, but also to bad things in general that happen, such as starvation and extinction. The fact that preventing these things is apparently not on the top of any god's priority list is evidence that either God does not exist or if God exists, his top priority is not preventing horrific things from happening,
In other words, if God exists, then he is sovereign over all of creation, including evil and suffering. At the very least, he is a co-author and his name is on the cover.

The rational agnostic has strong arguments against God’s existence such as this one, but he has a meaning problem. The rationalist can choose to win the debate or he can choose a lasting meaning, since there is no higher meaning than to seek justice on behalf of those who believe in God’s empty promises. In order to access that higher meaning, you must enter into the story and identify with the believer.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.................. I wasn't just referring to bad things humans do to each other, but also to bad things in general that happen, such as starvation and extinction. The fact that preventing these things is apparently not on the top of any god's priority list is evidence that either God does not exist or if God exists, his top priority is not preventing horrific things from happening,
Yes, mankind's long history shows bad things humans do to each other.
MAN has dominated MAN to MAN's hurt, MAN's injury as observed at Ecclesiastes 8:9
Bad things in general happen such as 'wrong place wrong time' like the people at the Tower of Siloam - Luke 13:4-5
So, time and unforeseen things happen - Ecclesiastes 9:11
If God would have gotten rid of Adam and Eve we simply would Not be here.
The long passing of time has allowed for us to be born and think who we would like as sovereign over us.
By God allowing 'man to govern man' has shown to all that man can't successfully govern himself.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
In other words, if God exists, then he is sovereign over all of creation, including evil and suffering. At the very least, he is a co-author and his name is on the cover.
The rational agnostic has strong arguments against God’s existence such as this one, but he has a meaning problem. The rationalist can choose to win the debate or he can choose a lasting meaning, since there is no higher meaning than to seek justice on behalf of those who believe in God’s empty promises. In order to access that higher meaning, you must enter into the story and identify with the believer.
Since God allows man to govern man is to show whether man can successfully govern without God.
Mankind's long history has proven that man can't successfully govern over man.
When Adam broke God's Law that was as if Adam took the Law out of God's hands and placed the Law in man's hands.
In other words, Adam set up People Rule as superior to God Rule.
The passing of time is what was needed in settling the issue of who can govern best.
So, it is MAN who has long dominated MAN to MAN's hurt, MAN's injury - Ecclesiastes 8:9
There will be coming justice for righteous people - Matthew 25:31-34,37.
The 'sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth' will rid the Earth of those who cause ruin literal or moral.
- Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15; Rev. 11:18 B

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe His top priorities are love, truth and freedom. The reason why I think so is that He gave the commandment that we should love others as ourselves and He is against lying and He gave us freedom to choose also bad.
Now it is to even love others as Jesus loves others - John 13:34-35 - have self-sacrificing love as Jesus loved.
In other words, we are now to love others MORE than love of self. More than the old Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18

Treasure Hunter

Since God allows man to govern man is to show whether man can successfully govern without God.
Mankind's long history has proven that man can't successfully govern over man.
When Adam broke God's Law that was as if Adam took the Law out of God's hands and placed the Law in man's hands.
In other words, Adam set up People Rule as superior to God Rule.
The passing of time is what was needed in settling the issue of who can govern best.
So, it is MAN who has long dominated MAN to MAN's hurt, MAN's injury - Ecclesiastes 8:9
There will be coming justice for righteous people - Matthew 25:31-34,37.
The 'sword-like executional words from Jesus' mouth' will rid the Earth of those who cause ruin literal or moral.
- Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-15; Rev. 11:18 B
I disagree with this idea. If God exists, then there is no will but the will of God. Competing wills mean that God is divided against himself, not that there are wills free of God.

How can God create a will free of his own? Whose will is it other than that of the creator? Wills always belong to their creator..

Rational Agnostic

I'm honestly not following or understanding your point.

Rational Agnostic

Yes, mankind's long history shows bad things humans do to each other.
MAN has dominated MAN to MAN's hurt, MAN's injury as observed at Ecclesiastes 8:9
Bad things in general happen such as 'wrong place wrong time' like the people at the Tower of Siloam - Luke 13:4-5
So, time and unforeseen things happen - Ecclesiastes 9:11
If God would have gotten rid of Adam and Eve we simply would Not be here.
The long passing of time has allowed for us to be born and think who we would like as sovereign over us.
By God allowing 'man to govern man' has shown to all that man can't successfully govern himself.

Like I mentioned in the post you quoted, there are also many bad things that happen that have nothing to do with human behavior. An omnipotent god whose top priority is to prevent these things cannot exist by definition. So what is God's top priority?

Rational Agnostic

In my view, God’s highest priority is the Kingdom of Heaven; transforming the lives of human beings through Jesus Christ so they may enter in and exist eternally enjoying His love, creativity, beauty, and more.
Why did he create a Satan who he knew would interfere with those plans and bring most people to hell then?

Rational Agnostic

Meaning is the highest moral value. There is no higher meaning than.. *see your quoted post.

I don't understand what you mean by there being no higher meaning than to seek justice on behalf of God's empty promises. I can't even tell if you believe in God or not tbh, or what you are arguing with

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Like I mentioned in the post you quoted, there are also many bad things that happen that have nothing to do with human behavior. An omnipotent god whose top priority is to prevent these things cannot exist by definition. So what is God's top priority?
Yes, many bad things happen Not due to human behavior, but often people cause their own problems and for others.
God's priority was as described in the beautiful paradisical Garden of Eden.
Earth was never meant to be a stopping-off place to anywhere else.
In other words, Adam set up People Rule as superior to God Rule. Adam obeyed Eve and Satan.
That opened the door for Satan to be the god of this world - 2nd Corinthians 4:4; Revelation 12:12,9
Top priority is found in the model prayer for God's kingdom (His government) to come ( thy kingdom come.... )
Before that would happen earth would have to be populated as stated at Genesis 1:28
And without God's support Earth would be as written at Luke 21:11 that there would be great earthquakes, etc.