• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God's highest priority?

Rational Agnostic

I would like to pose a question for theists, namely: what is God's top priority? I cannot prove that no god exists, but there are many types of gods that I can prove do not exist.

I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing rape and murder cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing childhood cancer cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing starvation cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing the extinction of 99% of the species he created cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is having a personal relationship with all of his human creations cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is having all humans believe in him cannot exist.

I could give many other examples, but I think the point has been made. If God exists, and he is omnipotent, his top priority cannot be any of the above things. So what is God's top priority? Since it seems like one of the items I listed above would be the top priority of the god of classical theism, it almost seems that if God does exist, then his top priority is to make it look like he doesn't exist.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would like to pose a question for theists, namely: what is God's top priority? I cannot prove that no god exists, but there are many types of gods that I can prove do not exist.

I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing rape and murder cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing childhood cancer cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing starvation cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is preventing the extinction of 99% of the species he created cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is having a personal relationship with all of his human creations cannot exist.
I know that an omnipotent god whose top priority is having all humans believe in him cannot exist.
I agree that none of the above are God's top priority, but not for the reasons you think they are not.

Apparently, you are assuming that if any of those were God's top priority, God would make them happen since God is omnipotent, but there is no reason to assume that an omnipotent God would make any of those things happen, even though an omnipotent God could make them happen, if any of them were God's top priority.
I could give many other examples, but I think the point has been made. If God exists, and he is omnipotent, his top priority cannot be any of the above things. So what is God's top priority? Since it seems like one of the items I listed above would be the top priority of the god of classical theism, it almost seems that if God does exist, then his top priority is to make it look like he doesn't exist.
One of those things you listed is related to God's top priority -- having all humans believe in him.

According to my religion, the Baha'i Faith, we were created to know and worship God, so that has to be God's top priority.
That is expressed in the following prayer.

Short Obligatory Prayer

I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth.​
There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.​

Bahá’u’lláh

I can predict what your next question might be, but I'll let you ask it since I do not want to speak for you.

Rational Agnostic

I agree that none of the above are God's top priority, but not for the reasons you think they are not.

Apparently, you are assuming that if any of those were God's top priority, God would make them happen since God is omnipotent, but there is no reason to assume that an omnipotent God would make any of those things happen, even though an omnipotent God could make them happen, if any of them were God's top priority.

One of those things you listed is related to God's top priority -- having all humans believe in him.

According to my religion, the Baha'i Faith, we were created to know and worship God, so that has to be God's top priority.
That is expressed in the following prayer.

Short Obligatory Prayer

I bear witness, O my God, that Thou hast created me to know Thee and to worship Thee. I testify, at this moment, to my powerlessness and to Thy might, to my poverty and to Thy wealth.​
There is none other God but Thee, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.​

Bahá’u’lláh

I can predict what your next question might be, but I'll let you ask it since I do not want to speak for you.

I'm not following. If God is all powerful, and has not implemented his top priority, how is this not a contradiction and hence impossible?

siti

That being the case, when, in your "short obligatory prayer" you state that God is:
the Help in Peril
...would that "help" be universally applicable, or only for those who believe in him? Either way, would that "help" be consistently available or does God pick and choose when to provide "help in peril"?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I'm not following. If God is all powerful, and has not implemented his top priority, how is this not a contradiction and hence impossible?
I said that I believe that we were created to know and worship God, so that has to be God's top priority.

Why do you think that God would implement His top priority?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That being the case, when, in your "short obligatory prayer" you state that God is:
the Help in Peril
...would that "help" be universally applicable, or only for those who believe in him? Either way, would that "help" be consistently available or does God pick and choose when to provide "help in peril"?
I do not think that God is the help in peril only for those who believe in him. God is the help in peril for everyone.
I believe that help is consistently available, although we don't always get the help we are asking for or the help we think we need.

Rational Agnostic

I said that I believe that we were created to know and worship God, so that has to be God's top priority.

Because if he didn't implement it then there would be some reason preventing him from doing so, either 1) he is not omnipotent and therefore not God or 2) he has a higher priority conflicting with this priority, in which case it wouldn't be his top priority. For clarification, I'm defining omnipotence as being able to do anything that is not a logical contradiction.

Rational Agnostic

On what grounds do you claim that a preternatural agency must have one?

I suppose you are technically right, it is possible that a god exists that prioritizes all possible outcomes equally, and effectively does not care at all about what happens in the universe, but this god would definitely not be the god of classical theism.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Why would a God have a top priority need to be worshiped?

Is it like it will get malnourished, weak, and die if it doesn't get worshiped ?

siti

I do not think that God is the help in peril only for those who believe in him. God is the help in peril for everyone.
I believe that help is consistently available, although we don't always get the help we are asking for or the help we think we need.
...or, presumably, the help we didn't even know we needed or didn't know was available to ask for...like for some of the things mentioned in the OP?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Because if he didn't implement it then there would be some reason preventing him from doing so,
I keep going back to this:
either 1) he is not omnipotent and therefore not God or 2) he has a higher priority conflicting with this priority, in which case it wouldn't be his top priority. For clarification, I'm defining omnipotence as being able to do anything that is not a logical contradiction.
If omnipotence is defined as being able to do anything, I want to know what you think that God would implement His top priority (that humans know and worship God) just because God is able to do it.

God has no higher priority conflicting with this priority, but God wants humans to implement His top priority by virtue of their own free will.
If God implemented His top priority for humans then it would not be their choice.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
...or, presumably, the help we didn't even know we needed or didn't know was available to ask for...
Yes, I think we can get that kind of help.
like for some of the things mentioned in the OP?
preventing rape and murder cannot exist.
preventing childhood cancer cannot exist.
preventing starvation cannot exist.
preventing the extinction of 99% of the species he created cannot exist.
having a personal relationship with all of his human creations cannot exist.
having all humans believe in him cannot exist.

I think we can help from God in order to make these things happen, but I believe that God expects us to make the happen by virtue of our own free will.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No, the Bible's God is Not omnipotent because God can Not lie - Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18
Top priority: ' Hallowed be God's name YHWH ' God's name be held as holy sanctified.(cleared of any reproach)
And to ask God for His Kingdom (aka government) to come.........

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A top priority as found at Genesis 1:28 that humans populate (fill the Earth) until Earth is populated or full Not over full.
Since God can Not lie then God is Not all powerful - Titus 1:2; Hebrews 6:18
So, the passing of time was needed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Need to have His name hallowed (held as sacred) by worship based on truth - John 4:23-24
Jesus taught that Scripture is: religious truth - John 17:17
John 4
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Those verses do not say that God needs our worship. the only reason what God wants us to worship Him is for our own benefit.

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures.”​

God does not demand worship, God enjoins us to worship Him, and that is only for our own benefit, not for God’s benefit.

“Consider the mercy of God and His gifts. He enjoineth upon you that which shall profit you, though He Himself can well dispense with all creatures.” Gleanings, p. 140
“The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: “All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake.”​

Given these excerpts from the Writings of Baha’u’llah, we can deduce that God wants humans to believe in Him and worship Him.
However, it is abundantly clear that God needs nothing for Himself because God is self-sufficient, above having needs as humans have.