• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God's definition of sin?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If you put a fat starving kid in a room full of vegetables with one chocolate cake in the middle. And told him not to eat the cake. Do you think he would?

But, didn't Adam have all of the trees on earth from which to eat?
Only one tree out of all the trees on earth belonged to God.

If you put an un-hungry kid in a huge warehouse chock full of candy and told him all the candy is yours except for one piece of candy, how much of a hardship would that be? Adam was not starving and Adam had all the other [candies] trees to choose from.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It means that there is a copy of His Law in your spirit, such that your conscience may know what's right and wrong. Though you might well lose your sense about it.
And this is based upon what, exactly?

Orias

Left Hand Path
Similarly God's Law is embedded in your heart and soul.

It means that there is a copy of His Law in your spirit, such that your conscience may know what's right and wrong. Though you might well lose your sense about it.

How does God know what is right and wrong?

Why are his laws any better than all of the other God's?

If man is embedded with right and wrong, then how come he does wrong?

How can you lose a sense that God has given you? If it is a divine sense to know the difference between right and wrong, then how come a different God may be wrong in the eyes of the Christian God?

I strongly recommend st. thomas acquinas definition of sin,",'any innappropriate thought ,word or deed...", here inappropriate wld mean unsuitable. This is a large definition not every inappropriness is a sin,but every sin is inappropriate I think st. thomas means it to be that way. Now Adams sin was not of disobedience ,since he was created perfectly in tune with his flesh so his sin wld have to be spiritual,,so the sin wld have to be a spiritual iinappropriatness, only 2 exist according to Thomas [1 envy,[2 pride,who else had that difficulty?.but if the wages of sin is death,how so then some newborns who have not sinned still die ?. Did not Christs sacrafice take away our sins/,so why do we still have death....hmmmmmm You have pried off the lid to another mystery.......harley davidson

McBell

I strongly recommend st. thomas acquinas definition of sin,",'any innappropriate thought ,word or deed...", here inappropriate wld mean unsuitable. This is a large definition not every inappropriness is a sin,but every sin is inappropriate I think st. thomas means it to be that way. Now Adams sin was not of disobedience ,since he was created perfectly in tune with his flesh so his sin wld have to be spiritual,,so the sin wld have to be a spiritual iinappropriatness, only 2 exist according to Thomas [1 envy,[2 pride,who else had that difficulty?.but if the wages of sin is death,how so then some newborns who have not sinned still die ?. Did not Christs sacrafice take away our sins/,so why do we still have death....hmmmmmm You have pried off the lid to another mystery.......harley davidson
Huh?

How about:
Sin
Any action or thought that goes against the will of ones chosen deity.

Hawkins

How does God know what is right and wrong?

Why are his laws any better than all of the other God's?

If man is embedded with right and wrong, then how come he does wrong?

How can you lose a sense that God has given you? If it is a divine sense to know the difference between right and wrong, then how come a different God may be wrong in the eyes of the Christian God?

Oh no. You made more than 800 posts here without even understanding the ABC of Christianity?!

God defines right and wrong which is reflected by His Law.

There is no other Gods that we don't study other gods laws. But wrapping up women doesn't seem to be able to avoid male adultery.

You mean you can't lose sense about things? What do you mean by divine sense? I never said or hinted about anything as divine senses. Humans are given senses but I never heard of or can think of any senses which is divine. On the other in Christianity it is said that when you continue to sin you will be far more away from God to know Him (as a matter of losing sense about God, to me).

Like I said, in Christianity there is no other God, there are fake gods worshipped by men though.

McBell

Oh no. You made more than 800 posts here without even understanding the ABC of Christianity?!
More like you have not explained your particular flavour of Christianity in your 63 posts...
I only whine about the details because you seem to be confused...

There is no other Gods that we don't study other gods laws. But wrapping up women doesn't seem to be able to avoid male adultery

Like I said, in Christianity there is no other God, there are fake gods worshipped by men though.
Ah, so you have swallowed the propaganda hook, line, and sinker.
This will prove to be a useful fact later.

Orias

Left Hand Path

Why do you bring my posts into this topic? How is it relevant to what is going on?

ABC of Christianity, your right the rest of the alphabet dwells in reality. :biglaugh:

That doesn't make it Christian. Man doesn't need a God to what is 'right' and 'wrong', which is really folly, since right and wrong differ among all beings. Which makes 'right' and 'wrong' not truth at all.

There is no other Gods that we don't study other gods laws. But wrapping up women doesn't seem to be able to avoid male adultery.

Hmm...I thought early Christians sacrificed humans. I also remember something about the Church persecuting and killing thousands of their own followers. IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO DO ALL OF THESE THINGS THEN HE WOULD OF MADE IT SO WE WOULD NOT DO SO. For he is all powerful right? Then why can't he stop his churches from burning?

You mean you can't lose sense about things? What do you mean by divine sense? I never said or hinted about anything as divine senses. Humans are given senses but I never heard of or can think of any senses which is divine. On the other in Christianity it is said that when you continue to sin you will be far more away from God to know Him (as a matter of losing sense about God, to me).

Your right, just being alive makes you farther away from God (original sin). Hey look, another contradiction :D

Christianity says there is no other Gods, yet these Gods exist because they are followed by men. How Christian of you to deny the people their right to worship their 'false' Gods, since they are real to them.

Just because you do not acknowledge other religions, Gods, and laws does not mean they do not exist, for all concepts known were created by man.

Anyone could say the same about the Christian God, that he is fake and worshiped by man.

Why does God say it is a Sin to be alive? The seven deadly sins, are the seven most common animal characteristics.

It would be easier to understand if the branches of Christianity didn't fight each other, because their perceptions differ about God.

I guess all it takes for some people is for someone else to say, I am right, you are wrong, follow me and you will be alive after you die.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Christianity says there is no other Gods, yet these Gods exist because they are followed by men. How Christian of you to deny the people their right to worship their 'false' Gods, since they are real to them.
Just because you do not acknowledge other religions, Gods, and laws does not mean they do not exist, for all concepts known were created by man.
Anyone could say the same about the Christian God, that he is fake and worshiped by man.
Why does God say it is a Sin to be alive? The seven deadly sins, are the seven most common animal characteristics.
It would be easier to understand if the branches of Christianity didn't fight each other, because their perceptions differ about God.
I guess all it takes for some people is for someone else to say, I am right, you are wrong, follow me and you will be alive after you die.

There is No Scripture that says it is a sin to be alive.
To the contrary, didn't Jesus offer everlasting life, or living forever, to those that want to live by his teachings? Matthew 25v46

Jesus forewarned us the many so-called branches of so-called Christianity would prove themselves as bearing false and bad fruit. -Matt 7 vs13-23

By the fruit on the branch, or the person's behavior, one would know that a bad tree can not produce good fruit or good spiritual works.- 7v20

Also, there is a description of the selfish distorted form of love the world has described at 2nd Tim 3 vs1-5,13 which is in stark contrast with the definition of Christ-like love found at 1st Cor 13vs4-6. So the actions, behavior or fruit that the world now produces is the final fruitage, or end result, of the failure of people to respond to the actual teachings of Christ as found in Scripture.
- John 13 vs34,35.

People look for Spiritual teachers [clergy] that will, so to speak, 'tickle their ears' and say what they want to hear instead of listening to the words that came out of Jesus mouth.

Jesus never taught one would be alive when they die.-[John 11vs11-14].
Jesus did not teach one is death proof.
Jesus was not alive while he was in hell [gravedom]-[Acts 2vs27,31]
Jesus was in a dead unconscious deep sleep-like state until God resurrected him. [Psalm 65; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4; Ecclesiastes 9v5,10]
At death the soul dies according to Ezekiel 18v4,20.

Jesus taught about the resurrection of the sleeping dead from death.
In other words, Jesus would resurrect or awaken some of the dead to heaven
[Rev 5vs9,10] and the rest [except for those of Matt 12v32; Hebrews 6vs4-6]
would be resurrected to life on earth starting with Jesus thousand-year reign over earth as the prophet Daniel looked forward. -Daniel 12 vs2,13.

Those of Matthew 25v32 are alive on earth at the time of Jesus 'glory', or divine intervention into mankind's affairs, and the righteous ones remain alive or continue living [do not die] right into Jesus peaceful millennial rule over earth when Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill.
[Psalm 37vs11,29; Proverbs 2vs21,22; 10v30]

I am a Christian, but I was not raised so. I have come to see the Bible as the word of God. But nevertheless, I have say that there is nothing more absurd than a Christian telling other people that they have to believe this or that because the Bible says so.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

The questioner friend Naples have not responded to any of the responses 153 before this one so far, rather it is the lone post/thread of his on RF!
The question was:

If we look in scripture, God says that sin is breaking His law.
"Sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.
Who/what is *god*?
There is no one except we humans have developed a concept for an understanding and labelled it *god*.
At best we can take *existence* to be that God and this existence has its own laws that it follows like night follows day and day follows night.
Scriptures are guidelines following which someone has been able to lose his own *self* and merge with *existence* and became a vehicle or medium for existence to carry out its own laws.
Basically one has to live in harmony with the laws of existence and one that does so totally is the one enlightened or else there is nothing as enlightenment like growing extra pair of ears or a ring appears around the head!

So in fact there is nothing as sin but only that by not following the laws one lives in disharmony with existence and suffers and those who do live in harmony enjoys life like a drunken monk!

Love & rgds

Orias

Left Hand Path
There is No Scripture that says it is a sin to be alive.
To the contrary, didn't Jesus offer everlasting life, or living forever, to those that want to live by his teachings? Matthew 25v46

First of all, how could Jesus give, something he cannot give himself? And yes Original Sin is being alive.

Jesus forewarned us the many so-called branches of so-called Christianity would prove themselves as bearing false and bad fruit. -Matt 7 vs13-23

Sorry not asking for scripture. What does this have to do with anything? What about it?

By the fruit on the branch, or the person's behavior, one would know that a bad tree can not produce good fruit or good spiritual works.- 7v20

Again, whats your point?

Also, there is a description of the selfish distorted form of love the world has described at 2nd Tim 3 vs1-5,13 which is in stark contrast with the definition of Christ-like love found at 1st Cor 13vs4-6. So the actions, behavior or fruit that the world now produces is the final fruitage, or end result, of the failure of people to respond to the actual teachings of Christ as found in Scripture.
- John 13 vs34,35.

Then how is love distorted?

People look for Spiritual teachers [clergy] that will, so to speak, 'tickle their ears' and say what they want to hear instead of listening to the words that came out of Jesus mouth.

So what exactly did your Jesus teach?

Jesus never taught one would be alive when they die.-[John 11vs11-14].
Jesus did not teach one is death proof.
Jesus was not alive while he was in hell [gravedom]-[Acts 2vs27,31]
Jesus was in a dead unconscious deep sleep-like state until God resurrected him. [Psalm 65; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4; Ecclesiastes 9v5,10]
At death the soul dies according to Ezekiel 18v4,20.

Jesus taught about the resurrection of the sleeping dead from death.
In other words, Jesus would resurrect or awaken some of the dead to heaven
[Rev 5vs9,10] and the rest [except for those of Matt 12v32; Hebrews 6vs4-6]
would be resurrected to life on earth starting with Jesus thousand-year reign over earth as the prophet Daniel looked forward. -Daniel 12 vs2,13.

Those of Matthew 25v32 are alive on earth at the time of Jesus 'glory', or divine intervention into mankind's affairs, and the righteous ones remain alive or continue living [do not die] right into Jesus peaceful millennial rule over earth when Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill.
[Psalm 37vs11,29; Proverbs 2vs21,22; 10v30]

So what are you main points here? You say all of this scripture...what are your points?

NumeroUnox1

Here are six things God hates,
and one more that he loathes with a passion:
eyes that are arrogant,
a tongue that lies,
hands that murder the innocent,
a heart that hatches evil plots,
feet that race down a wicked track,
a mouth that lies under oath,
a troublemaker in the family.

Proverbs 6:16-19 (The Message)

Friends,

The questioner friend Naples have not responded to any of the responses 153 before this one so far, rather it is the lone post/thread of his on RF!
The question was:

Indeed.

If we look in scripture, God says that sin is breaking His law.
"Sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

My first reaction is that this question was a presumptive that we could speak for God, then seeing that he really meant what is sin according to the Bible, I responed as I did because of the presumption that the Bible represents God's view in such a forum as this.

Anyway if we are going to play the scripture game I would quote Matthew 22:36-40. The laws given in scripture are not for their own sake but for a purpose and there was a principle and reason behind why they were given. Then in the epistles of Paul, particularly Romans, we see a declaration of independence from the laws of the OT in recognition that living by law for its own sake gets us nowhere. The message of the Bible is not about mindless obedience to rules but about a change of heart.

I would also quote John 5:39, to say that legalistic approach to scripture is all wrong -- it is getting lost in the words and missing the message. Do we treat the Bible like a book of law in the manner of the lawyer who searches it to find arguments to support whatever he wants to prove whether it is to condemn an innocent man or to get a hardened criminal off the hook?

So how do we know when to take the Bible literally and when to look beneath the surface for where God is trying to lead us? I would quote Matthew 13:10-15, concerning what Jesus said when the disciples asked Him why He did not speak plainly but spoke to them in parables.
The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?" He replied, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. Whoever has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand." In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: " You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving. For this people's heart has become calloused; they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them."
What does He say? If God intends you to understand then you will understand and if not then you will only hear the literal words and no understanding will come to you. Why? Why does God do this? Because knowledge is power and with power comes responsibility and thus power and knowledge should be earned rather than given as a gift to children who will misuse it. I firmly believe that God will ONLY do what is in our best interest, and thus when He gives a public message to all then it will be in words that will do the most good and the least harm. To me it is clear that Jesus is saying, let the literal fleshly minded hear only the story and understand nothing because if they will not open their eyes to see the world around them, then they are not ready to perceive reality as it is, and if they will not open their hearts to feel the love of God, then they are not ready for the gift that He has to give them!

The one thing that I will certainly not do is make a mockery of the Bible by interpreting it to mean something that contradicts what I can see with own eyes right in front of me. If the Bible said that the sun is cold and gives it no light, I would see if I could not find some metaphorical or spiritual way of understanding what is said and if there isn't I would deposit the book in the nearest garbage can.

So with that said, I would go back to the topic of what is sin to give you my understanding of what it is according to my understand from all the sources of information at my disposal from my own eyes and the Bible, digging beneath the surface of the words to find some meaning in them that brings us some kind of fruitful understanding of it all: I think that sin represents the habits of thought and action which destroy our free will and the potential which God sees in us for growing in a relationship with Him as His children -- children of the infinite creator of the universe who have the potential for eternal life - growing and learning without limit in a relationship with Him.

God hates?

Strange, I could of swore he loves all.

When we are speaking of ideals for human behavior, everything is naturally and logically limited by its opposite. Tolerance does not include a tolerance of intolerance (which is passive intolerance), and love does not include a love for hatred and hateful behaviors. For God to hate the things quoted by NumeroUniox1 from the Message Bible, all of which are opposed to love itself, is in fact just another way to say that God loves.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
When we are speaking of ideals for human behavior, everything is naturally and logically limited by its opposite. Tolerance does not include a tolerance of intolerance (which is passive intolerance), and love does not include a love for hatred and hateful behaviors. For God to hate the things quoted by NumeroUniox1 from the Message Bible, all of which are opposed to love itself, is in fact just another way to say that God loves.

I disagree, love and hate are two different emotions.

You can love hate, but can you also love what you hate?

Ideals are not limited, rather how far the ideals can grasp reality is.

Opposition has no limit, it is the mind in which opposses which may be limited. (Perception)

For death sets existence free of all limits. But then again, death is our limit.

All of these perceptions have nothing to do with just being, it is fantasy, or ideal, a justifacation of what is above perception, death.

Last edited: