• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God's definition of sin?

Naples

What is God's definition of sin?

If we look in scripture, God says that sin is breaking His law.
"Sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

So what does this mean, what does scripture identify as His law? Is sin breaking God's Ten Commandment law, and since the law of God is perfect (Psalms 19:7), does it need changing? Or do the Commandments cover "the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13.

If they cover the whole duty of man, what do they tell us to do. If we look at them carefully we see the Commandments in the first four show love for God, the next six show love for our fellowman. So lets see how Christ explains it:

The Greatest Commandment
34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:
36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[c] 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Thus was Christ covering all 10 when asked about them...

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The law is a lot more then just the 10 mitzvot. Didn't you read all the laws listed after those? The 10 mitzvot are 10 categories. There are actually 613 laws.

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
I have asked that very question for years and am yet to get a straight answer. I recently asked a priest, "How am I to confess my sins if I have not committed any?" He said, "We all are tempted by sin and no one is immune to committing sin." I asked him, "Like what?" He quickly changed the subject and said he had to go take care of some things and would talk to me later. He recently was transferred so I am still without an answer.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Since death is the wages sin pays, then if one could stop sinning one would not die.
At birth parents know a child's leanings will be toward imperfection.

What was the gravity of Adam's sin of disobedience? Adam, created with human perfection, could only disobey God on purpose, whereas imperfect humans can disobey God unintentionally or by mistake. We should strive not to sin deliberately. So anything out of harmony or contrary to God's standards, morals, ways or his will can mar one's relationship with God in word or wrong deed. Lack of faith is the sin that easily entangles a person. -Hebrews 12:1 B.
James 3:2-8 says about the tongue if any man does not stumble in word is a perfect man.

Since Adam's sin was disobedience, wouldn't disobeying Jesus command of Matthew 24:14; 28:19,20; Luke 22:19 [1st Cor 11:24-29] be a sin?_____________

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
And still I walk a path that is never contrary to the Divine (I don't like the word 'God' because it conveys limits). So perhaps that is the reason I am one of the only people in existence to survive an aortic dissection and die for 10 hours and come back with no ill effects.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
And still I walk a path that is never contrary to the Divine (I don't like the word 'God' because it conveys limits). So perhaps that is the reason I am one of the only people in existence to survive an aortic dissection and die for 10 hours and come back with no ill effects.

The prophet Micah [4v5] that all the people, for their part, will walk each one in the name of its god.......

Those that worship the God of the Bible know the future hold out, as Rev [21v4] says, that d'eath will be no more', Not even a 10 hour death.
Death will be swallowed up forever.-Isaiah 25:8.
Our last enemy 'death' will be brought to nothing. -1 Cor 15:26.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
God's definition of sin: "something you guys made up because you couldn't leave well enough alone".

Beta

I have asked that very question for years and am yet to get a straight answer. I recently asked a priest, "How am I to confess my sins if I have not committed any?" He said, "We all are tempted by sin and no one is immune to committing sin." I asked him, "Like what?" He quickly changed the subject and said he had to go take care of some things and would talk to me later. He recently was transferred so I am still without an answer.
I am not surprised the Priest could not or rather would not explain because they themselves break the 4th Commandment regarding the 7th day Sabbath (among others). All christianity does. The sabbath was made for MAN. Scripture does not say it was made for the Jew.
If people want to find out which Commandments they are breaking they can just go through them one by one.
If anyone says he is without sin he is a liar - so says scriptue.

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
so enlighten me on what sin I could be committing because I find myself unable to see any in myself. Do not get me wrong, I sinned a lot in my life, but upon my awakening, I cannot see any I currently commit.

blackout

Violet.
This 'sin/sinner' thing is not a part of my existence either.:rolleyes:

But people are free to choose/to be whatever they want.

:shrug:

Beta

so enlighten me on what sin I could be committing because I find myself unable to see any in myself. Do not get me wrong, I sinned a lot in my life, but upon my awakening, I cannot see any I currently commit.
I can not tell you your sins, I don't know you.
Saying you have no sin makes you into a liar and that is a sin. Scripture says it my friend not me. (it would say the same thing to me) you are not singled out. We are told that the Commandments act as a mirror so if we look at them carefully we should see the truth about ourself.

blackout

Violet.
I can not tell you your sins, I don't know you.
Saying you have no sin makes you into a liar and that is a sin. Scripture says it my friend not me. (it would say the same thing to me) you are not singled out. We are told that the Commandments act as a mirror so if we look at them carefully we should see the truth about ourself.

Your book lies.

Unless of course you believe it....

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The world [of badness] will change:
A 'stone' will change into a rock-solid great 'mountain' - [Dan 2:34,35]

According to Daniel this symbolic 'stone' is God's kingdom, or his royal government with Jesus as ruler or ruling king. This 'stone' becomes a great 'mountain' because as verse 44 says it will bring a smashing end to all of earth's kingdoms or man's governments in opposition to God's kingdom rule over earth. Because it will stand forever as the only rulership that can and will bring rock-solid earth-wide Peace on Earth it will be as if that 'stone' grew into a large 'mountain' of peaceful conditions over the entire earth.
Micah 4:3,4; Isaiah 25:6; 11:9; 65:25; Psalm 72:1-14.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The world [of badness] will change:
A 'stone' will change into a rock-solid great 'mountain' - [Dan 2:34,35]

According to Daniel this symbolic 'stone' is God's kingdom, or his royal government with Jesus as ruler or ruling king. This 'stone' becomes a great 'mountain' because as verse 44 says it will bring a smashing end to all of earth's kingdoms or man's governments in opposition to God's kingdom rule over earth. Because it will stand forever as the only rulership that can and will bring rock-solid earth-wide Peace on Earth it will be as if that 'stone' grew into a large 'mountain' of peaceful conditions over the entire earth.
Micah 4:3,4; Isaiah 25:6; 11:9; 65:25; Psalm 72:1-14.
Ah..
Like the world wide flood being a local thingy....

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
saying I currently have no sin makes me a liar only if it were a lie. I have nothing and I want for nothing. I am quite content in my poverty because I have a greater calling than lust and riches would provide me. I am not jealous of anyone because I have been given life renewed. I died for 10 hours March 16, 2008 and came back and since then my perspective is very different, my friend. I do not get angry, although I do get frustrated at the childish ways that mankind sees the world. I do not overindulge because it is no longer in me to do so. I am not lazy because I see too much to be done. So perhaps it is the mistranslations of the "word of God" that is the real sin. I KNOW Divinity. We had a wonderful 10 hour conversation, and there is only love where Divinity is concerned, that and a bit of sadness that the message has been so twisted over the years to lay down an iron hand of control over the masses. If the current bible is the true word, then why is there no copy left in the original language available to the common man to translate for themselves? I have been looking for 26 years, and it does not exist. Your bible is only part of the word, the part that man wants you to believe. If it is contradictory or hypocritical, then it is not of Love, and therefore not of the Divine. If you doubt that, then ask the Divine yourself. Oh yeah, I forgot, to do that you have to die and there are few of us that can survive that.

blackout

Violet.
saying I currently have no sin makes me a liar only if it were a lie. I have nothing and I want for nothing. I am quite content in my poverty because I have a greater calling than lust and riches would provide me. I am not jealous of anyone because I have been given life renewed. I died for 10 hours March 16, 2008 and came back and since then my perspective is very different, my friend. I do not get angry, although I do get frustrated at the childish ways that mankind sees the world. I do not overindulge because it is no longer in me to do so. I am not lazy because I see too much to be done. So perhaps it is the mistranslations of the "word of God" that is the real sin. I KNOW Divinity. We had a wonderful 10 hour conversation, and there is only love where Divinity is concerned, that and a bit of sadness that the message has been so twisted over the years to lay down an iron hand of control over the masses. If the current bible is the true word, then why is there no copy left in the original language available to the common man to translate for themselves? I have been looking for 26 years, and it does not exist. Your bible is only part of the word, the part that man wants you to believe. If it is contradictory or hypocritical, then it is not of Love, and therefore not of the Divine. If you doubt that, then ask the Divine yourself. Oh yeah, I forgot, to do that you have to die and there are few of us that can survive that.

Hiya Lumina. :)

some questions your post raised for me.

Is having nothing, or wanting for nothing some kind of "measure" for sin?
Is there something wrong with lustfull passion?
Or riches?
Neither am I "jealous" of anyone,
but the success of others, inspires like success in me.
And I most certainly DO get angry.
Anger is sometimes most waranted and apropriate.
Even Vengance can be just.

Epiphany is open to anyone.
But we will each see what WE need to see as individuals.
To confuse the details of the (particular) epiphany
with the experience of transcendence itself
is to miss the whole point.

All I'm saying really,
is that you don't ...
you CAN'T explain to the sin inclined...
why or how you're not a sinner.
Those inclined to see sin will see it. :shrug:
Their very "definitions" will make it so.. for them.
I venture to guess
(on account of your own personal exhoneration of sinfulness)
that you would quite possibly
take my own sinless attributes
and brand them otherwise.

Books always affect the way you read life itself.
Even AFTER you've lain them down.

Last edited:

Luminakisharblaze

Doyamo Luminachi
I agree with you totally. I was merely pointing out to Beta that according to the definitions I have been able to find of sin (according to the bible), specifically the seven deadly sins, I find myself not included in any of those. Of course it is all about perspective, and you seem to have the right perspective from my point of view. I see the only sin that exists truly as the sin of believing that sin is something viable and existent. There are mistakes and wrong paths, but those are still a matter of perspective and what truly defines good is between a person and the Divine, and since the Divine is love, there really is no sin, just learning. So Ultraviolet, you have no sin in my book and neither does anyone else. The commonly misspoken word sin is merely what I consider learning, and nothing learned is bad or wrong, for it we never learn, we never move forward and so would become a stagnant pool of backwards thought.