• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if women were the ones in charge

GoodbyeDave

Hey, this is France! It wouldn't be France without the annual blockades, tyre-burning, and riots. The proles got above themselves in 1789 and only Napoleon managed to put them (temporally) back in their place.

Would it be better if the women ran the government? Well, that would depend on whether you got Margaret Thatchers or Theresa Mays…

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hey, this is France! It wouldn't be France without the annual blockades, tyre-burning, and riots. The proles got above themselves in 1789 and only Napoleon managed to put them (temporally) back in their place.

Would it be better if the women ran the government? Well, that would depend on whether you got Margaret Thatchers or Theresa Mays…
Or......
Hillary-Clinton-What-She-Did.jpg

You knew that someone had to go there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah uh, that must have been my evil
twin posted that, evil twin, yes.
Interesting....
I thought you (like Bart being the evil twin of Hugo Simpson) were the evil twin.
Imagine my disappointment!

Last edited:

Nous

Premium Member
Bellow there are a couple of links to news of the events today in France (not "our" brightest moment I must say). Apart from the obvious stupidity and violence, what really caught my eye was that there are hardly any women in the images. Everyone we see breaking and burning are men. So it made me wonder what kind of world we would have if women were the ones in power. I'm guessing it wouldn't be all peace and quiet - definitely not quiet! But we probably wouldn't have this kind of incivility either:

PS - Just in case you're wondering, I didn't participate in any of the demonstrations.
I didn't watch the videos, but I don't understand what would necessarily be changed about this particular incident of violence “if women were the ones in power.” Nevertheless, I do believe we would all be much better off and the world would be much less violent if women did have more political and socioeconomic power. And I do believe that the the power structure of the world is slowly--all too slowly--headed in that direction.

Contrary to some of the frankly astounding comments on this thread, I think it is well established that women are generally and significantly less violent than men. I'm flubbered that anyone would suggest anything otherwise or be unwilling to acknowledge this seemingly undeniable fact. Kimmel, for instance, notes that “men’s rates of violence are about nine times those of women (on rates of violence generally).”

Harer and Langan inform us that “Steffensmeier and Allen (1998) reported that the female arrest rate for homicide in 1995, as computed with data reported by the FBI, was 1.7 per 100,000 women, whereas the male rate was 16.6 per 100,000 men -- nearly 10 times the female rate.” Harer and Langan conducted a study using “data for 24,765 women and 177,767 men newly admitted to federal prisons in 1991 through 1998 to assess the predictive validity of an eight-item risk classification instrument predicting violence-related misconduct in the year following prison admission.” Among their findings were that:

* "the average female rate for violence-related misconduct [was] 54.4% of the average male rate”;

* “the mean female rate for serious violence (100-level violence) [was] only 8.14% of the mean male rate”;

* “[t]he only violent misconduct with near rate parity between the sexes [was] for the relatively non-serious offense of fighting, where the mean female rate [was] 91.7% of the mean male rate,” and

* “only 2.77% of the overall female rate [was] due to more serious 100-level violence, whereas a much larger 18.5% of the overall male rate [was] due to more serious 100-level violence.”​

The importance of using data from male and female inmates concerns the fact that, as Kimmel explains above, some studies on intimate-partner violence have shown near-parity in rates of men and women, though this seems to be attributable to women reacting to their partners' violent acts, and, further, is generally much less serious and injurious than the violence that men perpetrate upon women.

Yerda

Veteran Member
If women were in charge daft young men would still burn tires and break windows. They have a natural drive to perform spontaneous acts of stupid. Also they have a tendency to disregard authority so it isn't likely that listen to the women in charge.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
People that pose these questions think all women are a monolith. We'd still have discrimination. We'd still have predominant cultures who are privileged and those that are underprivileged. Violent action should not be a rule of thumb on whether if the gender's were switched that the world would be more peaceful, we'd just see minor differences when it comes to physical protests but we'd still face the same discriminatory practices. If violent action is all we have to measure whether if one gender would make it more peaceful or not then that is a sad state of affairs for humanity. These questions may lead us down a rabbit hole we may not wish to go:

1) Would we be as technologically advanced if women were in power?

2) Would we have the concept of democracy or build systems of government if women were in power?

3) Would there be racism if women were in power?

4) Would there be a civil rights movement and the amendment of unfair laws if women were in power?

Considering that we as humans evolved from the hunter-gatherer model, and thus evolved our gender roles it's almost impossible to state whether or not our world would benefit from women taking power and men taking a secondary role position.

Last edited: