• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if no one believed in an afterlife?

Faust

How do you think we would act towards each other?
How do you think we would live our lives?
Faust.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Having thought hard, I think I would be no different than I am now; simply because I would still believe; why ? - because i have FAITH.- sorry if that sounds 'sad' - it is the way I am.:)

Faust

No need to apologize Michel.

Not the direction I was taking with this question, but if you simply can't conceive of no afterlife I respect that. I'm only curious to find out what those who can imagine no life after death would think our world would be like and how we might act.
Faust.

No*s

Captain Obvious
I think it would be a lot similar to the one we live in. A short lifespan can be used to encourage sound behavior, just as much as an afterlife (Homer made a few points about that).

Lightkeeper

I think people would live harder, faster and rougher. If they don't have to worry about salvation, some might be more likely to kill, steal, etc. Others may live healthier in order to prolong their life.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Lightkeeper said:
I think people would live harder, faster and rougher. If they don't have to worry about salvation, some might be more likely to kill, steal, etc. Others may live healthier in order to prolong their life.

True this. I wanted to ephasize the positive :p. There were religions who believed nothing happened after death, and one can find them emphasizing the shortness of life as something to make it valuable.

However, I can see a lot of what you're saying being true also...nothingness is not something to fear.

Saw11_2000

Faust said:
Faust.
If no one believed in an afterlife, I think everyone would be living the moment.
I think we would act basically the same, however society as a whole might be a bit more wild, because number 1, this is all we got, and number 2, no punishment from God after you die. I really hope that makes sense, cuz even I didn't get what I was trying to say.

Dr. Nosophoros

I feel that being your own redeemer has many positive qualities, I find that when one (for myself) feels that in this life, no-one is going to save you, you tend to treat people better and overall be responsible to oneself and your legacy.

Master Vigil

Hmmm... Well, if there was no afterlife or heaven that is seen as more important than this world, I believe people would worry more about this world. And therefore take better care of it. Live every moment for here and now, and make sure this place is a great place. Does that make sense?

No*s said:
However, I can see a lot of what you're saying being true also...nothingness is not something to fear.
But then, if one expects eternal bliss for believing in [X], 10 years in prison is not something to fear, either.

Ceridwen018

That's true, Spinkles. Especially in this day and age, religiously affiliated crimes are the most prevalent and controversial. 70 virgins, anyone?

No*s

Captain Obvious
Mr_Spinkles said:
But then, if one expects eternal bliss for believing in [X], 10 years in prison is not something to fear, either.

Quite true there, especially if it is limited to just belief. It seems that the less a person does in regard to their salvation, the looser the morality of the religion gets. That's one of my criticisms of sola fide: I can go pray a prayer, believe, and wipe out a million people. It doesn't matter at that point, so you have brought up an example of belief in eternal bliss that can (and has) justified terrible things.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Faust said:
Faust.
well since i don't and have never really concerned myself with what may or may not happen when i die i'd probably act the same way i do right now...:D

Faust

Master vigil said:
Hmmm... Well, if there was no afterlife or heaven that is seen as more important than this world, I believe people would worry more about this world. And therefore take better care of it. Live every moment for here and now, and make sure this place is a great place. Does that make sense?
That makes perfect sense to me Master.:)
Faust.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I don't imagine the world would be much different, except like someone said maybe less religious motivated killings.

Personally i quite like the idea of oblivion, sounds very relaxing.

groovydancer88

I think there would be a lot more of the carpe diem action... If this life is the only one we have to live, might as well make it exciting!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
one thought on belief or lack there of in an afterlife.

if you believe in a just afterlife, then death isn't a worry. Never made peace with your parents, you can do it in heaven.
Don't want to stand up to the bully who is tormenting the neighborhood? Don't worry he will be punnished after he dies.
War isn't all that bad, yeah lots of innocent people will die, but god will make it all better after they are dead.
Killed an innocent man on death row, its ok, God will make him happy in the afterlife.

If you don't have an afterlife, you only have one chance to act well and live a good life. Death is to be avoided because thats it, the end. No telling grandpa that you love him when you meet him on the clouds, no 'letting god sort them out' in war. When you participate in the death of another you are robbing them of something finite and precious. There are no second chances, no 'ultimate' justice outside of this life. The pain you cause will not be fixed by an eternity of bliss.
The poor, hungry and sick that are kept in squalid conditions will not have thier life be a 'temporary' discomfort to be mitigated by 'eternity in heaven'.
They will be hungry, sick and miserable untill they die, and then, they will no longer exist.

No afterlife forces you think about your real impact on others. There is no excuse for acting badly against your fellows, no cosmic something to fix the injustice and hurt. The responcibility for fixing it is yours and yours alone.

in a way its a potentaly very good concept to have. ;)

wa:do

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Faust said:
Faust.
Does this include the idea of rebirths or just the heaven and hell concepts?