• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What had caused the so-called "atheism"?

wednesday

Jesus
Maybe its because questioning what the hard-line bishops say is no longer a death sentence? I was always curious how "God loved us" when his messengers could slaughter whoever they wanted for whatever reason they wanted.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
ooops, no sir, They are just manifistations of

Matthew 24:24.

"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect."

How do you tell which is which? How do I know you're not one, for example?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Uhm, I am sorry to say this but that thinking is a manifestation of:

Proverbs 18:2 "A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself."

and:

Proverbs 18:13 "He that giveth answer before he heareth, It is folly and shame unto him"

So people who don't want to hear what other people have to say, shame unto them? Here's one for you: People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Uhm, I am sorry to say this but that thinking is a manifestation of:

Proverbs 18:2 "A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself."

and:

Proverbs 18:13 "He that giveth answer before he heareth, It is folly and shame unto him"

Can you grasp at all the error involved in using a claim made in a book to show that book is reliable? Watch:
Everything I say is true. You are wrong. How do you know I'm right? Hey, see at the beginning where it says that everything I say is true? (Your argument has the same structure.)

4nashiym

So, we wouldn't die unless there was some God around? It seems to me that dying is a natural part of life, no matter why or how we're here. Would you say that the argument "Everyone thinks, and everyone dies. Therefore thinking causes death." is true?

1. You won't exist unless there is God.
2. Nature is a creation of God.
3. Even you're afraid of thinking about it.

4nashiym

I've seen a person make a table, and I've seen a person make a baby. I've never seen God do either of these things. Therefore when I see either one, I can only conclude that it indicates the presence of a person, not of God.

because you're not yet in existence when he made those things!

4nashiym

Well, no **** sherlock. Show me an example of furniture that nobody made.
Your example is neither new nor interesting

Again, no **** sherlock.
Would you expect a form of life that was not suited to its environment to exist?
Google 'Weak Anthropic Principle'.

1. that's my point there. there is someone who made this vast universe
2. because God equipped His creations with the capability to adapt, even to harsh environmental changes, especially humans

4nashiym

Obviously, the universe was made by the Acme Latex Corporation, Reality Division, in 1863 in order to create a market for it's fine line of products. Of course, you would know that if you ever took the time to read the company's annual report.

such nonsense for a staff

4nashiym

Couldn't an all-powerful God have created life to be eternal, had he so desired?

What would a world look like that was created by God? What would a world look like that was not?

In trying to figure something out, never assume your answer, as you did.

1. please don't put words on my mouth..
2. that one would be another topic
3. peaceful, orderly world = God's creation; purposeless world = atheists' world
4. when you try to figure something out, you will end up with an assumption

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
because you're not yet in existence when he made those things!

So, then why should I assume that that is what happened? You said that we are evidence of God as a chair in the desert is evidence of human life in that area. I said that that was only because I already know that a chair is made by humans. I don't already know that humans are made by God. Even though you won't admit it, humans and everything else could just as easoly be the result of pure chance, and unintelligent forces. I have no reason to believe that they aren't. It's more like finding a perfect stone chair somewhere in the mountains. It could have just been shaped by the elements that way with no intelligent design, or it could have been shaped by a human. I have no way of knowing, so I'm not going to assume it was made by humans.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It could have just been shaped by the elements that way with no intelligent design, or it could have been shaped by a human. I have no way of knowing, so I'm not going to assume it was made by humans.
Perhaps the first "chair" was nothing more than spotting a useful pattern in certain stones or wood shaped by wind and water conducive to comfortable sitting . . . and all other "chairs" since are attempts to refine the concept thus created of "chair".

A dirty mirror hides a multitude of sins.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
doppelgänger;1129838 said:
Perhaps the first "chair" was nothing more than spotting a useful pattern in certain stones or wood shaped by wind and water conducive to comfortable sitting . . . and all other "chairs" since are attempts to refine the concept thus created of "chair".

A dirty mirror hides a multitude of sins.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. :confused:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
This is MY definition:
theism - the best thing a poor yet understanding man could do
- born of wisest decision a man could ever make

For atheism I therefore think it to be vice versa.
Sorry for jumping in after 30 pages, but I have to say I find this amusing. If man does not understand, then the wisest conclusion he could come to is the realisation that he does not understand, anything else is just misguided speculation.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
doppelgänger;1129859 said:
IOW, perhaps "God" had "His" genesis in the human tendency to spot patterns and organize relationships between things based on perceived useful traits.

Oh, yes, why didn't you just say so? :p

I agree with that. I was just pointing out that humans are not necessarily a product of God, but God could very well be a product of humans.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Oh, yes, why didn't you just say so? :p

I agree with that. I was just pointing out that humans are not necessarily a product of God, but God could very well be a product of humans.
Right. "God" may have started with that pattern spotting process just reflecting on itself.

The action of "humans" and "god" and "self" and even "I am" is psychological/epistemological. When it's projected as part of the ontological/metaphysical, however, it creates a schism between the observer and the observed.

In other words, a dirty mirror conceals a multitude of sins.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
i'm sorry for you.
with the eyes you have, you cannot see Him, no matter how i try to
Worry not about me.
Unless it makes you feel better...then by all means do what you must to keep your warm fuzzies going.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
1. please don't put words on my mouth..
2. that one would be another topic
3. peaceful, orderly world = God's creation; purposeless world = atheists' world
4. when you try to figure something out, you will end up with an assumption
4. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.
Seems that you have made a differing assumption than certain other persons...