• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from you?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Retributive justice is a central tenet of Christianity. It's the purpose of hell. Submit or burn forever to the benefit of nobody but any sadists watching. it's what all the fuss about free will in Christianity is about. Free will is a necessary concept to attempt to justify the gratuitous suffering that follows insubordination.

That's where the idea that prisons should be hellscapes comes from. That's why many cheer the rapes in prison. It's right out of Dante's Inferno. It's how hell is or might be, so it's how prisons should be. God's angry vengeance is the model.

It's also why so many of the faithful begin the punishment of those such as gays that they perceive as sinners while still alive. They think God approves, since he'll be taking over soon following death, and what's a few more years added to the front of infinite suffering anyway?
I guess the retributive justice of Christianity is for the alleged original sin and the only way to atone for that sin is to believe in Jesus and the cross sacrifice.

Retribution means punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act.
Vengeance means punishment inflicted or retribution exacted for an injury or wrong.
Revenge is the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.

These are close in meaning.

Originally Answered: What is the difference between vengeance and revenge? The original answer is still best: ”Vengeance is retribution/retaliation done on behalf of someone who has been wronged, whereas “revenge” is retribution/retaliation done by the same person who has suffered the (perceived) wrong.Apr 14, 2014

What is the difference between revenge and vengeance?

What @Bird123 has been objecting to is what he calls payback, which is vengeance or revenge. The Baha'i teachings say that we do not have the right to take revenge. That concurs with the Bible -- "vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord."

“In His Tablets ‘Abdu’l-Bahá explains the difference between revenge and punishment. He affirms that individuals do not have the right to take revenge, that revenge is despised in the eyes of God, and that the motive for punishment is not vengeance, but the imposition of a penalty for the committed offence. In Some Answered Questions, He confirms that it is the right of society to impose punishments on criminals for the purpose of protecting its members and defending its existence.” The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, p. 203

muhammad_isa

Retributive justice is a central tenet of Christianity. It's the purpose of hell. Submit or burn forever to the benefit of nobody but any sadists watching..
No it isn't .. that is your perception as a disbeliever.
The purpose of descriptions of hell is as a WARNING, as G-d wishes us to
choose a morally upright path and be successful in this life and the next.

Bird123

Some of it is payback, greatly deserved payback Imo. Some people want payback for the loss of a loved one.
It is not a teaching of my religion that we should seek payback, but rather only seek a just punishment for the crime that was committed.

AGAIN, I am not responsible for fixing other people's moral failings. They are responsible to fix those.
Following the Laws of God is the only way the problem will be fixed since the problem is caused by not following the Laws of God.
People do not even be religious to follow those laws. Most atheists follow those laws, maybe even better than religious people. That's why you don't see many atheists in prison.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!
What is more important, Payback and punishment OR Fixing the Problem????Those petty things mankind holds so dear do not fix problems.

Moral failings? By your religion's standards?

God has no laws. God allows total free choice then fixes the problems, in time, by teaching what those choices really mean. Do you copy God or Mankind? Do you teach others all sides or do you Blame, Condemn, Punish ,Payback,and other of those petty things mankind holds so dear? When one understands all sides, Intelligence will make the Best choices. What are you teaching those around you through your actions and choices??

Bird123

If there is a creator God, He wants humanity to suffer. We suffer, so how can it be any other way?
When times are good, one sits back and enjoys the ride. When adversity hits, one has to study, analyze. plan and acquire so much knowledge and wisdom on the road to resolution. What would the world look like with no challenges? How much knowledge would anyone really have today?

People also choose hard lessons for themselves. God returns our actions, good or bad ,in time, in order to teach us what our choices really mean. Our actions and choices show God and the world what we know and what we need to learn.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
What is more important, Payback and punishment OR Fixing the Problem????Those petty things mankind holds so dear do not fix problems.
It is not an either punishment /or fixing the problem. That is a fallacy.

An either-or fallacy occurs when someone claims there are only two possible options or sides in an argument when there are actually more. This is a manipulative method that forces others to accept the speaker's viewpoint as legitimate, feasible, or ethical. Jul 23, 2023

What Is the Either-Or Fallacy? | Examples & Definition
Moral failings? By your religion's standards?
By God's standards, which are pretty much the same in all religions.
God has no laws. God allows total free choice then fixes the problems, in time, by teaching what those choices really mean.
God has revealed laws through Messengers who establish religions. God allows us total free choice to obey His laws or not.
God never fixes our problems.
Do you copy God or Mankind?
I copy neither God or mankind. I follow the teachings and laws of the Messengers of God and my own conscience.
Do you teach others all sides or do you Blame, Condemn, Punish ,Payback,and other of those petty things mankind holds so dear? When one understands all sides, Intelligence will make the Best choices. What are you teaching those around you through your actions and choices??
I am not teaching anything to those who are around me, although they might learn from me by listening to me talk or post on this forum.

You certainly don't teach anyone all sides. You only teach one side, which is the side you 'believe' is true.
Obviously you do not understand all sides, and rather than trying to understand another side, you simply reject the side that you don't like.

Then you try to get everyone to see your side, by repeating the same things over and over and over again.
How many times have I heard you say that Blame, Condemn, Punish, and Payback are petty things mankind holds so dear?

Bird123

It is not an either punishment /or fixing the problem. That is a fallacy.

An either-or fallacy occurs when someone claims there are only two possible options or sides in an argument when there are actually more. This is a manipulative method that forces others to accept the speaker's viewpoint as legitimate, feasible, or ethical. Jul 23, 2023

What Is the Either-Or Fallacy? | Examples & Definition

By God's standards, which are pretty much the same in all religions.

God has revealed laws through Messengers who establish religions. God allows us total free choice to obey His laws or not.
God never fixes our problems.

I copy neither God or mankind. I follow the teachings and laws of the Messengers of God and my own conscience.

I am not teaching anything to those who are around me, although they might learn from me by listening to me talk or post on this forum.

You certainly don't teach anyone all sides. You only teach one side, which is the side you 'believe' is true.
Obviously you do not understand all sides, and rather than trying to understand another side, you simply reject the side that you don't like.

Then you try to get everyone to see your side, by repeating the same things over and over and over again.
How many times have I heard you say that Blame, Condemn, Punish, and Payback are petty things mankind holds so dear?

Accepting is something I do not want anyone to do. Believing is not what it's all about!! I am not restricting your replies in any way. Why do you want to restrict mine? If you have other sides or other choices, you are more than welcome to speak them. You probably won't like my reply to them either.

All holy books are written by mankind. God has never made laws or standards.

God fixes everything. God is teaching you by supplying selectively the problems that will lead to a Higher Level forward. Because God does not do things as you want, does not mean things are not done. Simply because I do not tell you things you want to hear does not mean what I say is not the Real Truth.

Each will decide for themselves what the best choices are. God isn't forcing any laws or rules on anyone.

Control is one of those petty things mankind holds so dear. Is this what you are attempting to teach me? Your actions and choices do teach others around you even if you do not see this.

No. I do not teach all sides. It is awful hard to know what sides others understand and do not understand. On the other hand, I do generally point others in a good direction. In the end, each must decide for themselves what those best choices really are. I do what I can, Unconditionally for all concerned. There is no shortage of things to do.

I seem to repeat myself because I can not change what is. I will say the world is round a million times because it is!!! People come to me and say the world is flat. I bet they are sick of hearing me repeat myself too. Once again, it's not about believing or agreeing with me. If you really want to know the truth, you will work at Discovering it for yourself instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.

Do you really want the truth? I don't think so. You want beliefs especially your beliefs. Why? Then you won't have to do anything. Discovering anything takes work. It's not as easy as accepting or rejecting beliefs. On the other hand, reality and truth bring so much better results!!

I make no demands. Don't like what I say? Ignore me. On the other hand, throughout eternity, you will see what I say again. One can not change Truth and reality and, in time, these are lessons we all must learn.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Accepting is something I do not want anyone to do. Believing is not what it's all about!! I am not restricting your replies in any way. Why do you want to restrict mine? If you have other sides or other choices, you are more than welcome to speak them. You probably won't like my reply to them either.
I don't want you to restrict your replies. Reply away!
All holy books are written by mankind. God has never made laws or standards.
You are free to believe that if you want to but I'd be careful not to state it as a fact since it is only your personal opinion.
In my opinion, God has always set standards and revealed laws through Messengers.
God fixes everything. God is teaching you by supplying selectively the problems that will lead to a Higher Level forward. Because God does not do things as you want, does not mean things are not done.
It is possible that through fate we get the problems that we need to help us improve our character and grow spiritually, and since God is responsible for our fate, in that way God might be helping us move forward. No, these problems are not what we want at the time but they have the potential to help us.
Simply because I do not tell you things you want to hear does not mean what I say is not the Real Truth.
Simply because I do not tell you things you want to hear does not mean what I say is not the Real Truth.
Each will decide for themselves what the best choices are. God isn't forcing any laws or rules on anyone.
I agree.
Control is one of those petty things mankind holds so dear. Is this what you are attempting to teach me? Your actions and choices do teach others around you even if you do not see this.
I am not teaching control. I believe in free will and that people need to make their own choices in life.
No. I do not teach all sides. It is awful hard to know what sides others understand and do not understand. On the other hand, I do generally point others in a good direction. In the end, each must decide for themselves what those best choices really are. I do what I can, Unconditionally for all concerned. There is no shortage of things to do.
In the end, each must decide for themselves what the best choices really are. I do what I can. There is no shortage of things to do.
I seem to repeat myself because I can not change what is.
I seem to repeat myself because I can not change what is. God sends Messengers to guide us to the straight path, but we make our own choices.
I will say the world is round a million times because it is!!! People come to me and say the world is flat. I bet they are sick of hearing me repeat myself too. Once again, it's not about believing or agreeing with me. If you really want to know the truth, you will work at Discovering it for yourself instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.
It's not about believing or agreeing with me. If you really want to know the truth, you will look at what the Messenger has to say instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.
Do you really want the truth? I don't think so. You want beliefs especially your beliefs. Why? Then you won't have to do anything.
Do you really want the truth? I don't think so. You want beliefs, especially your beliefs. Why? Then you won't have to look at anything that runs contrary to your beliefs. Instead, you can keep on believing what you do, unchallenged.
Discovering anything takes work. It's not as easy as accepting or rejecting beliefs. On the other hand, reality and truth bring so much better results!!
That is completely illogical, since the assumption is that what one Discovers is reality and truth. No, what they Discover will only be what they Discover, and there is no reason to think it will be either reality or truth.
I make no demands. Don't like what I say? Ignore me. On the other hand, throughout eternity, you will see what I say again. One can not change Truth and reality and, in time, these are lessons we all must learn.
I make no demands. Don't like what I say? Ignore me. On the other hand, throughout eternity, you will see Messengers of God sent again and again. One can not change Truth and reality.

Bird123

I don't want you to restrict your replies. Reply away!

You are free to believe that if you want to but I'd be careful not to state it as a fact since it is only your personal opinion.
In my opinion, God has always set standards and revealed laws through Messengers.

It is possible that through fate we get the problems that we need to help us improve our character and grow spiritually, and since God is responsible for our fate, in that way God might be helping us move forward. No, these problems are not what we want at the time but they have the potential to help us.

I agree.

I am not teaching control. I believe in free will and that people need to make their own choices in life.

In the end, each must decide for themselves what the best choices really are. I do what I can. There is no shortage of things to do.

I seem to repeat myself because I can not change what is. God sends Messengers to guide us to the straight path, but we make our own choices.

It's not about believing or agreeing with me. If you really want to know the truth, you will look at what the Messenger has to say instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.

Do you really want the truth? I don't think so. You want beliefs, especially your beliefs. Why? Then you won't have to look at anything that runs contrary to your beliefs. Instead, you can keep on believing what you do, unchallenged.

That is completely illogical, since the assumption is that what one Discovers is reality and truth. No, what they Discover will only be what they Discover, and there is no reason to think it will be either reality or truth.

I make no demands. Don't like what I say? Ignore me. On the other hand, throughout eternity, you will see Messengers of God sent again and again. One can not change Truth and reality.

Your quote:If you really want to know the truth, you will look at what the Messenger has to say instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.

My Answer: Have I not said that what the messengers say, teach, and value proves it does not come from God? How could I make that statement without looking at what they are saying? Question is: Are you really looking and do you have a clue why I have said that? Could you be missing something? Could it be some of those things I seem to repeat that you really do not understand?

You keep telling me I only have beliefs. This is your belief. It is not reality. If I were to say my interaction with God never existed, then I would also have to say you do not exist. Why do I reply if you do not exist? I think it best to keep within the realm of reality rather than Beliefs and what one wants to be.

There came a time when I wanted to know the real truth instead of a bunch of Beliefs. This is when I started my journey to Discover the real truth regardless of what that truth turned out to be. You seem to be satisfied with Beliefs. If not, you would take more effort to Discover what actually is the truth. I could never be like you. I have always been one who had to Know rather than merely believe.

There will come a time, when you will know. Won't you be surprised?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Your quote:If you really want to know the truth, you will look at what the Messenger has to say instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.

My Answer: Have I not said that what the messengers say, teach, and value proves it does not come from God? How could I make that statement without looking at what they are saying?
I did not say that you did not look at what they said.
I was making a general statement, that If you really want to know the truth, you will look at what the Messenger has to say instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.

You have no proof that what Messengers say does not come from God. You only say that it does not come from God because you disagree with it. That is not proof of any kind.
Question is: Are you really looking and do you have a clue why I have said that? Could you be missing something? Could it be some of those things I seem to repeat that you really do not understand?
It does not matter why they said what they said. As Messengers of God they are infallible so I don't think I know more than they know (like you do) because that is logically impossible, since I am not infallible.
You keep telling me I only have beliefs. This is your belief. It is not reality.
Because you have no factual proof you only have beliefs and that is the reality. That is also the reality for any religious believer.
Why do you think you are exempt, different and special?
If I were to say my interaction with God never existed, then I would also have to say you do not exist. Why do I reply if you do not exist? I think it best to keep within the realm of reality rather than Beliefs and what one wants to be.
Unless you can prove that you have had an interaction with God that is only a belief, not a fact. Do you know the difference between beliefs and facts?
There came a time when I wanted to know the real truth instead of a bunch of Beliefs. This is when I started my journey to Discover the real truth regardless of what that truth turned out to be. You seem to be satisfied with Beliefs. If not, you would take more effort to Discover what actually is the truth. I could never be like you. I have always been one who had to Know rather than merely believe.
You don't know anything but what you have learned in the process of living and there is no reason to think that is the Real Truth.
It is only what you Believe is the Real Truth.

Bird123

I did not say that you did not look at what they said.
I was making a general statement, that If you really want to know the truth, you will look at what the Messenger has to say instead of choosing what beliefs sound the best to you.

You have no proof that what Messengers say does not come from God. You only say that it does not come from God because you disagree with it. That is not proof of any kind.

It does not matter why they said what they said. As Messengers of God they are infallible so I don't think I know more than they know (like you do) because that is logically impossible, since I am not infallible.

Because you have no factual proof you only have beliefs and that is the reality. That is also the reality for any religious believer.
Why do you think you are exempt, different and special?

Unless you can prove that you have had an interaction with God that is only a belief, not a fact. Do you know the difference between beliefs and facts?

You don't know anything but what you have learned in the process of living and there is no reason to think that is the Real Truth.
It is only what you Believe is the Real Truth.

Ok, one studies the actions of God to the point of understanding and seeing everything does add up perfectly. One gets a visit from God. A Visit no one on Earth has the capability of duplicating. Seems like there is a lot of knowledge by which one can compare to those messengers. Clearly, those messengers do not really understand God at all.

Now through all this, you are telling me I have only beliefs because I can not prove to you what I have done and experienced? Does truth really depend on you believing or someone proving to you at your satisfaction?

My proof depends on you. I have pointed the direction and journey by which you are capable of Discovering what I have been saying for yourself. I can not do it for you!!

It is not I who is dealing with Beliefs. It is you!! Your correct response is not you are dealing with beliefs but I believe you are dealing with beliefs.

Do you really think those people you claim to be messengers are infallible? Have you ever met anyone infallible? Did you ever read about a messenger getting hurt, maybe stubbing a toe? How old did these messengers live? Did they eat right, exercise, overweight? If infallible they would have lived well past 100 maybe around 110 years old. Can't waste a good messenger. Got to get the most mileage one can. Can you find absolutely nothing you question about them?? Maybe you do not question at all. Do you only accept?

Widen your view. There is always much more to see and Discover. God is so much more than what is contained in the holy books or in the words of anyone.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
OK. God creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?
According to Micah 6:8 God wants or asks back requiring from you what is good, to exercise justice, to love mercy, walk humbly with God.
Also, I see at Psalm 50:14-15 to offer thanksgiving to God and pay your vows, call upon Him in the ' day of trouble' and He will deliver you.
See also Psalm 19:7-11 in keeping God's requirements there is a large reward.
Jeremiah 22:3 adds to uphold justice and righteousness, rescue the one being oppressed/defrauded, Not mistreat the stranger, the fatherless, the widow, nor shed innocent blood.
Hosea 12:6 .... maintain loyal love and justice and to always hope in God.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
According to Micah 6:8 God wants or asks back requiring from you what is good, to exercise justice, to love mercy, walk humbly with God.
I met someone in a walker today who had two knee operations. Actually more but each knee was showing stitch marks. She was getting into her car very slowly and clearly had pain. We chatted briefly and she said she was thankful to be alive. What a nice attitude!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok, one studies the actions of God to the point of understanding and seeing everything does add up perfectly.
Nobody can study the actions of God because nobody can see the actions of God.
One gets a visit from God. A Visit no one on Earth has the capability of duplicating. Seems like there is a lot of knowledge by which one can compare to those messengers. Clearly, those messengers do not really understand God at all.
Nobody ever gets visits from God, not even the Messengers, and you are claiming to have had a Visit from God?
Clearly, the Messengers are the only ones who really understand God at all, since they received a revelation from God.
Now through all this, you are telling me I have only beliefs because I can not prove to you what I have done and experienced?
I am telling you that you only have beliefs, not only because you cannot prove these things happened to you, but because these things never happened to anyone.
Does truth really depend on you believing or someone proving to you at your satisfaction?
No, truth does not depend upon beliefs or proof, but there is no reason for me to believe you have truth, and every reason for me to believe you do not, since what you claim as truth is contradicted by what the Messengers of God revealed. Both of you cannot be right since you are saying different things. Why would I believe you over the Messengers? I do not see anything but claims of truth. What do you have to support your claims?
My proof depends on you. I have pointed the direction and journey by which you are capable of Discovering what I have been saying for yourself. I can not do it for you!!
I am not going to Discover what you have been saying since it is a fantasy, not reality.
It is not I who is dealing with Beliefs. It is you!! Your correct response is not you are dealing with beliefs but I believe you are dealing with beliefs.
You believe I am dealing with beliefs and I believe you are dealing with beliefs. At least I admit I am dealing with beliefs but you think you have more than beliefs. You don't. I have life experiences whereby I have discovered things and you have experiences whereby you have discovered things. So what?
Do you really think those people you claim to be messengers are infallible?
Yes.
Have you ever met anyone infallible?
No, since I never met a Messenger of God.
Did you ever read about a messenger getting hurt, maybe stubbing a toe? How old did these messengers live? Did they eat right, exercise, overweight? If infallible they would have lived well past 100 maybe around 110 years old. Can't waste a good messenger. Got to get the most mileage one can. Can you find absolutely nothing you question about them?? Maybe you do not question at all. Do you only accept?
Infallible means incapable of making mistakes or being wrong. It has nothing to do with their human body or how long they lived.
Yes, I do question some things they said but I know I am wrong because I am fallible, thus prone to err.
Widen your view. There is always much more to see and Discover. God is so much more than what is contained in the holy books or in the words of anyone.
Yes, God is much more than what is in the holy books, but all we can know about God is contained in those holy books.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
God is so much more than what is contained in the holy books
If all that we can know about God is in the holy books, then we don't know much, because the Scriptures of the different religions contradict each other. And even Baha'i are told that other than the Quran and the Baha'i writings, none of them are completely accurate.

But there is a way to know exactly what the truth is about God... Whatever the Baha'i writings quote from the other Scriptures, mostly the Bible, that is accurate. And amazingly, those verses do support Baha'i beliefs. Now if you or I did that, it would be called "cherry-picking". But when the Baha'i do it, it is the truth.

Reactions: ppp

Bird123

Also, I see at Psalm 50:14-15 to offer thanksgiving to God and pay your vows, call upon Him in the ' day of trouble' and He will deliver you.
See also Psalm 19:7-11 in keeping God's requirements there is a large reward.
Jeremiah 22:3 adds to uphold justice and righteousness, rescue the one being oppressed/defrauded, Not mistreat the stranger, the fatherless, the widow, nor shed innocent blood.
Hosea 12:6 .... maintain loyal love and justice and to always hope in God.
Is God really asking these things? It is not God asking. It is mankind asking.

God is going to teach His children through their free choices. There is no need to ask anything. Regardless of any choices, God is going to move everyone along to a Higher Level of knowledge and wisdom. On the other hand, one's choices show God and the world what one knows and what one needs to learn. Perhaps the best advice is to learn the lessons and be careful of one's choices. One can choose some mighty hard lessons for oneself.

God is Unconditional. There really are no conditions.

I must ask. Pay your vows??? What vows are one supposed to pay? Isn't this just mankind asking for money?

Bird123

Nobody can study the actions of God because nobody can see the actions of God.

Nobody ever gets visits from God, not even the Messengers, and you are claiming to have had a Visit from God?
Clearly, the Messengers are the only ones who really understand God at all, since they received a revelation from God.

I am telling you that you only have beliefs, not only because you cannot prove these things happened to you, but because these things never happened to anyone.

No, truth does not depend upon beliefs or proof, but there is no reason for me to believe you have truth, and every reason for me to believe you do not, since what you claim as truth is contradicted by what the Messengers of God revealed. Both of you cannot be right since you are saying different things. Why would I believe you over the Messengers? I do not see anything but claims of truth. What do you have to support your claims?

I am not going to Discover what you have been saying since it is a fantasy, not reality.

You believe I am dealing with beliefs and I believe you are dealing with beliefs. At least I admit I am dealing with beliefs but you think you have more than beliefs. You don't. I have life experiences whereby I have discovered things and you have experiences whereby you have discovered things. So what?

Yes.

No, since I never met a Messenger of God.

Infallible means incapable of making mistakes or being wrong. It has nothing to do with their human body or how long they lived.
Yes, I do question some things they said but I know I am wrong because I am fallible, thus prone to err.

Yes, God is much more than what is in the holy books, but all we can know about God is contained in those holy books.

Is all we can know really only in a box of beliefs? I could never ever limit myself in the way you have chosen to do. A belief is only the start on the journey to Discover. It is never the end. If one chooses that a belief is the end, one does not really seek the Truth.

We Never Know

No Slack
OK. God creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

If you are an atheist, speculate. If God really exists and creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

Before you just give a quick answer, consider a Being capable of creating the universe and you has to be very very smart. Consider High Intellect with your answers. Make God's answer High Intellect.

Everything. Nothing. A little. A lot. Who knows?

Bird123

If all that we can know about God is in the holy books, then we don't know much, because the Scriptures of the different religions contradict each other. And even Baha'i are told that other than the Quran and the Baha'i writings, none of them are completely accurate.

But there is a way to know exactly what the truth is about God... Whatever the Baha'i writings quote from the other Scriptures, mostly the Bible, that is accurate. And amazingly, those verses do support Baha'i beliefs. Now if you or I did that, it would be called "cherry-picking". But when the Baha'i do it, it is the truth.
Sounds like a lot of people paint a portrait of God as they want God to be and not what actually is.

Does one search for God within the holy books written by mankind OR does one search for the actions of God to understand God? The actions of God can not be altered by mankind like those so valued holy books. On the other hand, there is probably some God in all holy books. If one does not search to understand the actions of God, maybe cherry-picking is the only way to acquire any knowledge at all. Of course, if one chooses to do this, one must also consider the source. I have found no religion or holy book that really understands God at all. Holy books reflect mankind. This world, universe, and people reflect God. Can you see anything? All the secrets of God stare us all in the face. God hides nothing.

You are right! Seems many people claim beliefs to be Truth. Everyone seriously needs to Question even long held beliefs, especially when those beliefs do not add up completely. Accepting and blindly believing might feel good to many, however it does not really lead to Truth. Truth will not always be an agreeable thing.