• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from you?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I did not say that I believe in an afterlife because I have suffered in this life. I am not the only person who has suffered in this life.
I could never make sense of all the suffering that everyone endures in this life if the suffering served no purpose.
Everyone suffers in this life to varying degrees, so it would not be just for there to be no afterlife where there would be no more suffering.

I believe in an afterlife because of what I've witnessed and experienced. To be honest, it seems unreasonable of me not to believe in an afterlife. And based on what I've witnessed and experienced during my lifetime, I know that a person's suffering doesn't always end when their life does.

Bird123

Easy. God wants and needs my help. What I have to offer pales in comparison but it strangely is every bit as important. But God isn’t like a super powered person who makes plans and then Carrie’s them out. Nothing like that. If God is anything He is the deepest layer of the natural, that which brings order out of chaos. So Supra- not super- natural. It is in relation to what He is that we are. We are the instantiation of the divine and the hand mirror by which He knows himself. Of course we and He are always in process so what we reflect is more of a progress report than anything comprehensive.

So I’ve tried to play along with your premise but really “God” is a problematic term and one I don’t use. But let’s go with it as a metaphor.
God is actually Someone!! On the other hand, you are right on so many levels. We are all God's creations and all the actions God takes or has taken around us reflects God in so many ways. You are also right in that our actions and choices show God and the world what we know and what we need to learn. I also like the order to chaos. God has placed the knowledge around us all to order, happiness and the best choices. We but only must choose. It is all within everyone's hands. If one chooses badly, it's no big deal. After one learns, one is free to choose again.

Yes, I can see your interaction with those around you can open others to possibilities a rigid mind might never see. Once a mind is open, there is no limit of what one can Discover.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When one understands God, God's system, and what God is really doing, the view changes.
You have no way to know anything about God, or what God is doing.
One can see clearly that holy books do not reflect God. So much that is said about God simply isn't true whether one chooses to believe or not.
You do not know that, you only believe it.
God is at a Higher Level. God is above the petty things mankind holds so dear. Look at holy books. Do they incorporate petty things like: Blaming, Judging, Condemning, Hating, Ruling, Controlling, Anger, Wrath, Manipulation, Intimidating, Threatening, Coercing, WE against They, Punish, Revenge, Pay Back, and so many other things??? Are you really Flawed from birth? Don't you see that these petty things reflect those who do not understand these petty things will never ever bring the best results nor any Heavenly state for anyone.
Blaming, Judging, Condemning, Hating, Ruling, Controlling, Anger, Wrath, Manipulation, Intimidating, Threatening, Coercing, WE against They, Punish, Revenge, Pay Back.....That is not what is in the holy books. That is just what 'some people' interpret the holy books to mean, but that is no reflection on the holy books.
Choose: Is this the time to say We against they? Is this the time to label others as evil? Is this the time to Blame, Anger, Payback, and Hate? Does that Solve the problems? Doesn't it just generate more bad things? What is being taught to the children watching? How many kids relish Payback?
Blame, Anger, Payback, and Hate? You imagine that religion teaches these things, but it teaches the exact opposite.
Feel free to choose your own path and beliefs. Choosing is an important part of God's system. Real Learning and Growing never happens without one's free choice.
I agree. I never argued against free choice.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
The Bible book of Job makes sense of all the suffering.......
Sinner Satan Not only challenges the man Job ( Job 2:4-5 ) but challenges all of us.
Satan's purpose is ' touch our flesh....' ( Loose physical health ) and under suffering conditions we would turn away from God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.

Instead of ' afterlife' ( being more alive after death than before death ) there is the Bible's Resurrection Hope - Acts 24:15
Coming Resurrection Day ( meaning Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years )
This is when even enemy ' death ' will be No more on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8
From edenic paradise lost to edenic paradise regained.

Of course, what you've stated in your posts are your beliefs and interpretation of the Bible. FYI, Trailblazer, being a Baha'i, doesn't believe in Satan.

Bird123

Earth's rulers are some that 'preach being humble', so to speak, so that they can rule over others without being accountable to God.
Moses was humble, Jesus was humble and they shared and Jesus said Earth is the Goal - Matt. 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11; 22:26
A coming beautiful paradisical Earth as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah for us.
Jesus, as king of God's kingdom, will be a just rule over others - Rev. 20:6; 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
You do not Understand. In time, one will reach a level where the physical world will no longer be needed. The Earth, the physical universe, and our physical bodies binds us to the physical laws of this universe. One will not want the limits or restrictions a physical body supplies. Further, at a certain level. Laws and Ruling will no longer be required. Why not? There would be so many choices that would no longer be viable choices one could make. Why not? Because they would not be the Intelligent thing to do.

There is much more Depth than got it made in paradise with someone there to protect that it stays paradise.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You do not Understand. In time, one will reach a level where the physical world will no longer be needed. The Earth, the physical universe, and our physical bodies binds us to the physical laws of this universe. One will not want the limits or restrictions a physical body supplies.
I can agree with that in part. After our physical bodies die, the physical world will no longer be needed. Our physical bodies bind us to the physical laws. After we die physically we will not want the limits or restrictions a physical body requires. We will be happy to have been released from this body, like a bird who is let out of a cage.

chinu

chinu
This is a multilevel classroom. There will be those who will choose other than peace. On the other hand, in time, they too will long for Peace.

There can be no real peace until all the lessons are learned. Of course, there are also those new students arriving with their lessons to learn.

Ah yes, Multiple Levels with Multiple Views. It is Truly a Masterpiece!!

At what level do you see yourself ? :)

Whateverist

God is actually Someone!! On the other hand, you are right on so many levels. We are all God's creations and all the actions God takes or has taken around us reflects God in so many ways. You are also right in that our actions and choices show God and the world what we know and what we need to learn. I also like the order to chaos. God has placed the knowledge around us all to order, happiness and the best choices. We but only must choose. It is all within everyone's hands. If one chooses badly, it's no big deal. After one learns, one is free to choose again.

Yes, I can see your interaction with those around you can open others to possibilities a rigid mind might never see. Once a mind is open, there is no limit of what one can Discover.

And now I know what you think about what “God” refers to. So for you and I’m sure some others that is what God is. Not true for me however.

Bird123

You have no way to know anything about God, or what God is doing.

You do not know that, you only believe it.

Blaming, Judging, Condemning, Hating, Ruling, Controlling, Anger, Wrath, Manipulation, Intimidating, Threatening, Coercing, WE against They, Punish, Revenge, Pay Back.....That is not what is in the holy books. That is just what 'some people' interpret the holy books to mean, but that is no reflection on the holy books.

Blame, Anger, Payback, and Hate? You imagine that religion teaches these things, but it teaches the exact opposite.

I agree. I never argued against free choice.
Are you saying holy books do not teach these things? Don't they teach God has wrath and anger? Don't they teach God is judging and condemning? Don't they manipulate by saying the only road to God is through them? Aren't they saying if you aren't ruled, controlled by following their way that God will pay you back through punishment, payback, Hell or simply dying? By creating a we against they aren't they teaching blame along with inviting Hate because others are always blamed for the way things are? Don't they teach God as a Ruler and one day God's vengeance will prevail to destroy all deemed evil? It goes on and on.

Is this really God to you???? Ask any atheist if they ever felt these petty things from religion. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons God is not possible to them.

People will value and spread these petty things until they Understand all sides.

Sure, holy books do have some goodness,especially about love. On the other hand, Goodness is not all they are teaching. Flawed from birth, is another example that leads people away from God. The idea that God can not be around His children for any reason because of kids choices is another example. Is God really going to disown His kids. The Earth judges will not allow a father to disown his children. Why would you think God would? The list goes on and on.

Actions speak louder than words. God's actions speak to who God really is. Religion might tell you what you want to hear, however what are they really teaching the children? That you should be like their view of God? How could this be a Higher Level? I do not see it. Holy books reflect mankind very well for this is surely not God nor God's ways. Look around you and see.

Of course. people are all at different levels of understanding. People might be religious because they want God. On the other hand, how many believe every single thing religion teaches and does?

Step by step, everyone moves forward regardless of any of those beliefs so many want to be true. When one understands all sides. Intelligence will make the best choices not dependent on any beliefs.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!!

Bird123

And now I know what you think about what “God” refers to. So for you and I’m sure some others that is what God is. Not true for me however.
That's perfectly OK. It has never been about believing in God.

Did you know that you already know God whether you know you know now or not? It will come back to you when you bump into God again.

Bird123

The equivalent of a reality TV show? Maybe he's bored?
Bored???? There is a simple solution. Do something!!

Interaction is a key part of God's system. If one refuses, one gets lonely and bored.

Hmmm??? How does that work? I would say pretty well!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
OK. God creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

If you are an atheist, speculate. If God really exists and creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

Before you just give a quick answer, consider a Being capable of creating the universe and you has to be very very smart. Consider High Intellect with your answers. Make God's answer High Intellect.
Oh that's easy. God made me so that He/She/It will have company. There's not much point being a god if you are all alone. It's true that we may not need companionship but it sure makes the passage of time much more interesting.

Whateverist

Did you know that you already know God whether you know you know now or not? It will come back to you when you bump into God again.

Absolutely. I already know what I think gives rise to god belief. I just don't think it is God as a mighty person-like creation engineer or afterlife amusement part manager. The sacred is the sacred, it just isn't the trademarked property of any religious institution.

Palehorse

OK. God creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

If you are an atheist, speculate. If God really exists and creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

Before you just give a quick answer, consider a Being capable of creating the universe and you has to be very very smart. Consider High Intellect with your answers. Make God's answer High Intellect.
GOD created....."I"....."HE".....created....."U".....

Bird123

Oh that's easy. God made me so that He/She/It will have company. There's not much point being a god if you are all alone. It's true that we may not need companionship but it sure makes the passage of time much more interesting.
Yes, children make life Grand. Yes, doing something is also better than doing nothing. Diversity is also important. If we were all the same, how long would it take for things to get boring?