• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does Enlightenment feel like?

phokist33

My understanding of enlightenment, is simply a condition of the brain. It seems to be when somone is coming to some sort of realization. I don't think it necessarily has to be religious. And even if people become "religously" enlightened, it doesn't even mean that that is necessarily true, it still could be something to do with thier minds, and not god, and it certainly seems more likely that that is the case.

dogsgod

Critical thinking enables us to become enlightened once we turn our sights onto our religious beliefs. Reasoning our way out of religion and throwing off the yoke of religious convoluted reasoning, superstition, is a most enlightening experience.

xkatz

Critical thinking enables us to become enlightened once we turn our sights onto our religious beliefs. Reasoning our way out of religion and throwing off the yoke of religious convoluted reasoning, superstition, is a most enlightening experience.

I beg to differ. I think you can be religious and obtain enlightment. Enlightment doesn't really relate to religion I feel. Religion is about the world around you. Enlightment is about self-being.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The comments in this thread have led me to believe that it might be time for me to use a different term than "Enlightenment" as the term has become a watered down shadow of its former self.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
In my undertsanding enlightenment is not a goal, a destination, it is more like a change in perception.
And after the enlightenment there come the dishes and the washing..

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The comments in this thread have led me to believe that it might be time for me to use a different term than "Enlightenment" as the term has become a watered down shadow of its former self.

Only because the people who tend to use it have become more watered-down.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

*Water*
THAT"S IT.
when the being becomes water like then others would understand what is *enlightenment*.
The self has no sense of the self, it is no more a *self* but a BEING!

Love & rgds