• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do YOU Think Of When You Hear, Read, or Say the word; "God"?

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you think of some magical being that someone else told you about?

Do you think of some magical being that you have experienced, for yourself?

Do you think of a magical being that that you want to believe is real but don't know?

Do you think of some magical being that you just can't accept as being real?

Do you think of some non-magical force that is responsible for the physical universe?

Do you ignore the word so you don't have to think about it?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
No.
I've experienced Gods, but I didn't consider them 'magical'. But maybe that gets into what I think of when I hear the word 'magic'.
Do you think of a magical being that that you want to believe is real but don't know?
No.
No.
Do you think of some non-magical force that is responsible for the physical universe?
That's a part of it, but not in whole.
No. I rather like to think about Gods. Perhaps my favorite thing to ponder on, really.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Depends on if it is upper-case or lower-case.

Upper-case, proper noun, it refers to the god of Abrahamic religions. I don't think much about that god since it isn't part of my lifeways.

Lower-case, speaking generally, it refers to that which is worthy of worship. And each individual and/or culture gets to make that determination for itself.

But the questions you ask remind me a bit of some questions I was asked when I was new to the Pagan path and still thinking inside a cage about the concept of gods just in general. Asking these kinds of questions helps you to understand that you are thinking inside a cage about the gods. Presuming the one has the desire to do so, this can be the beginning of freeing oneself from that cage to explore the gods untethered from what others have told you about the gods. It was said to me in these early days some wise advice - to remember that what humans say about the gods is not the gods. That what humans teach about the gods are not the gods. It is map of territory. And that you can - perhaps even have an obligation to - explore the territory for oneself and come to one's own conclusions.

So I did. I've been a solid theist ever since.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

When I hear the wors "God," the first thing that comes to mind is George Burns.

The second is Alanis Morrissette.

The third is the entity at the centre of the galaxy in Star Trek V that Captain Kirk fights and beats (since that film was directed William Shatner).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What Do YOU Think Of When You Hear, Read, or Say the word; "God"?

Hear... it's more often than not someone angry at something. Either i am able to help or I stay out of their way, depending on the situation.

Read... Its just a word like any other word.

Say... It doesn't happen often but when it does... (Can't complete this because it's not the Eros forum.

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Depends who is using it.

SalixIncendium

Qur'an Reciting Transtheistic Mahdi Claimant
Staff member
Premium Member
Upper-case, proper noun, it refers to the god of Abrahamic religions.
Not necessarily. Hindus often refer to Brahman as God when speaking amongst themselves. When used in an interfaith setting, the word often becomes useless for Dharmics, because most, theists and atheists alike, consider the word to mean the God of Abraham.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm reminded of a little ditty I once wrote:

God is a word many define​
as a creature made of straw​
or perhaps as reverse canine​
who from clouds gives down law.​
So many claim "God is mine"​
or create theological slaw,​
I would like to draw a line​
and on bad definitions gnaw.​

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

None of your inferences based on godlessness.

I get an overwhelming thought of oneness of an all embracing Love, a love built upon the sacrafice of those who brought God to us and of those thay gave their lives for a world that will embrace that Love and become as one people on one planet.

I get a sense of submission in constant thanks for being created to know an Love the cause of our creation.

Regards Tony

PureX

Veteran Member
No, not really.
... Sort of. It was a long time ago and I was very young. But it was indeed very 'magical' as I recall it. Beyond description, even.
Beliefs come and go. Desires come and go. Gratitude and fear can come and go. I let them come, but I also let them go.
I can usually accept the idea.
I think "magic" is a matter of perspective. What is magical to me may well be the natural flow of things if it were better understood.
I'm happy to think about it but I don't expect my mind to ever actually understand it.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The word God means to me power, authority, and control over everything. It also means benevolent authority. Based on those definitions I don't give credence to any God claim very easily. As a matter of fact I think the idea of one God being sounds grossly out of balance. A single God would very easily lack humility if there wasn't any equals to keep them in check. Based on my definitions God sounds like a very bad and unhealthy idea. Truth is far more important than a God of it. Without humility a person isn't very helpful, and one God being is a recipe for disaster.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I chose non-magical force that is responsible for the physical universe. The ground of being; Reality; Love

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Not necessarily. Hindus often refer to Brahman as God when speaking amongst themselves. When used in an interfaith setting, the word often becomes useless for Dharmics, because most, theists and atheists alike, consider the word to mean the God of Abraham.
I miss when we used to have religious affiliation clearly visible - it helped reduce some of the guesswork on what folks mean with proper-case god God. Not eliminate it, but reduce it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Creator of the universe. To be God, I think that would be the necessary attribute.