• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you/do you not like about Mormonism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this and was confused for a moment and then I remembered I was in the W'hat do you like/or dislike about Mormons' thread. I'm having too much fun in the other threads. YEAHY.:p

I'm going to write a thread / post giving the real OverStandIng of their teaching ok

Somkid

Another benefit in speaking English is to be able to communicate with the REST of the world. but if I was there I would probably teach them in Thai. But ofcourse I'm not there so I don't know the specifics of the situation. By the way did you ever ask this Mormon why they were teaching them in English?

I served in the Philippines. There are many many different languages over there. But we taught them in their national language of Tagalog. When they created a new mission and I was assigned in the office I worked closely with the mission president. The native dialect of those people was Ilokano. When he asked our opinion as to wether the mission should teach in Tagalog or Ilokano we suggested Tagalog because it is the national language. My personal reason behind this was to help unify the nation, not divide it.

The Hill Tribes as I mentioned are people without a country they don't even have electric how could they possibly communicate "with the REST of the world".
Speaking Thai (since this is the country that accepted them in) would be beneficial.

I guess my point is I don't like anyone swimming in our soup, Thailand is the only South East Asian country NOT conquered by the West and it is the only country that is Not third world here. The Muslims have created a large problem in the south and now the Christians are starting in the North this will divide the country and put we Buddhists in the middle. Last year we had a vote to make Buddhism the official religion however we value freedom of religion so not many supported it including myself however we are becoming increasingly intolerant as people are being killed in the streets in the name of God and we have had enough ignorant behavior. As I said I have nothing against what anyone believes just don't push it on others and divide them.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
The Hill Tribes as I mentioned are people without a country they don't even have electric how could they possibly communicate "with the REST of the world".
Speaking Thai (since this is the country that accepted them in) would be beneficial.

BUt yes I do agree with you. They should be taught in official the language of the country. But I don't know the circumstances.

I guess my point is I don't like anyone swimming in our soup, Thailand is the only South East Asian country NOT conquered by the West and it is the only country that is Not third world here. The Muslims have created a large problem in the south and now the Christians are starting in the North this will divide the country and put we Buddhists in the middle. Last year we had a vote to make Buddhism the official religion however we value freedom of religion so not many supported it including myself however we are becoming increasingly intolerant as people are being killed in the streets in the name of God and we have had enough ignorant behavior. As I said I have nothing against what anyone believes just don't push it on others and divide them.

Which must mean that the Thai people who are becoming muslim and Christians obviously aren't getting the point as both religions I believe are religions of tolerence and peace. So if tolerence and peace aren't coming out of it then they obviously don't get it. I'm divided into two camps I think everyone must have a hance to accept or reject the gospel. But I also can't stand seeing cultures being destroyed in the name of Christ. I would say the Mormon religion is fairly accepting when it comes to cultural diversity. But, I can't helpthink of all the cultural diversity we've lost on this planet in the name of Christ.

Somkid

The Muslims in the south are from Malaysia and have invaded the Christians in the north are from the North America and Europe they are not Thai. Her Majesty the Queen has put in place a program to teach the Hill Tribes Thai and get them all national ID however the missionaries moved in and said they would help (they have not in the least).

Honestly no hard feelings and I don't mean anything unkind by my post these are just the things I see happening.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm going to write a thread / post giving the real OverStandIng of their teaching ok
:biglaugh:Oh boy! You do that! Someone who can't even write a coherent sentence is going to tell the forum the truth about Mormonism. We haven't had a thread like that for a long time, OverStanding. This promises to be a rare treat!

:biglaugh:Oh boy! You do that! Someone who can't even write a coherent sentence is going to tell the forum the truth about Mormonism. We haven't had a thread like that for a long time, OverStanding. This promises to be a rare treat!

Katzpur < Says > Someone Who Can't Even Write A Coherent Sentence Is Going To The The Forum The Truth About Mormonism >

OverStandIng < I Bet You Wont Have Any Problem OverStandIng What I'm Saying This Time , I'm Going Sit Back And See How You Try To Flip / Lie You Way Out Of The Truth Because They Do Say The Truth Hurts A Liar Yes >
Main Entry: li·ar
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'l&#299;(-&)r</I>
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English </I>leogere, from </I>leogan to lie</I> -- more at LIE </I>
: one that tells lies</I>

Bishka

Veteran Member
Katzpur < Says > Someone Who Can't Even Write A Coherent Sentence Is Going To The The Forum The Truth About Mormonism >

OverStandIng < I Bet You Wont Have Any Problem OverStandIng What I'm Saying This Time , I'm Going Sit Back And See How You Try To Flip / Lie You Way Out Of The Truth Because They Do Say The Truth Hurts A Liar Yes >
Main Entry: li·ar
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'l&#299;(-&)r</I>
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English </I>leogere, from </I>leogan to lie</I> -- more at LIE </I>
: one that tells lies</I>

Um, okay? What does this have to do with the thread at hand? :areyoucra

Francine

"Isn't it funny how honest and tolerant seekers get chased away but contentious and ill-informed users seem to be just their speed?" Francine said rhetorically.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I know precious little about Mormonism, although I have learned from many on this site. What I like most is not anything to do with doctrine but its apparent effects on the followers. Ever person I've worked with who is a Mormon has been the kind of person I enjoy having on my team, without exception very helpful and conscientious.

What I like least is the notion (one I probably misunderstood) of the followers becoming rulers after mortality. I imagine very different fates for beings on the planet ruled by, say, Bishka versus some other Mormons I've seen posting. The potential for inconsistency bugs me. If the god of this planet was a real jerk, I'd want to go to Bishka's world, but we'd all be stuck. The upside is that it would explain some of the religious stories I've read.

Bishka

Veteran Member
"Isn't it funny how honest and tolerant seekers get chased away but contentious and ill-informed users seem to be just their speed?" Francine said rhetorically.

Are you referring to when I asked you to stop speaking for us theologically? :confused:

Francine

What I like least is the notion (one I probably misunderstood) of the followers becoming rulers after mortality. I imagine very different fates for beings on the planet ruled by, say, Bishka versus some other Mormons I've seen posting.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, but with a slightly different emphasis.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What things do you like and not like about the LDS Church and the people?

I like everything about LDS doctrine other than the fact that people actually believe it. I mean this is a GREAT religion! A con artist/treasure hunter tells his nearest and dearest that an angel named "Moroni" (I love it already!) told him where to dig for some golden plates, so he did, and they were covered with squiggles resembling no known language, but which he says is "reformed Egyptian." Of course, Egyptologists tell us it's no sort of Egyptian at all. But he magically translates them into English using his hat and two seer stones, or whatever they were, dictating the results to his friend. It turns out to be the longest, deadliest, most obviously sophomoric fake-Biblish stuff, hundreds of pages of it. And what does it tell us? That there have been waves of immigration from the Near East to America, that America was settled and populated by these people, Good Guys (white) and Bad Guys (Indian) that built huge cities, fought with swords, rode chariots, herded cattle and did all kind of fantastic things, but somehow vanished without a trace, either archeological or genetic. Yet modern Mormons somehow, and this is what I find so fascinating psychologically, manage to believe that it actually happened. Oh I nearly forgot the best part! We can't see the plates ourselves because the angel took them back! I love that part.

So then we have this quite widespread popular religion with all sorts of bizarre quasi-Masonic rituals, ingrained racial discrimination, total patriarchal system of sexual inequality, of course totally anti-gay, all based on this ridiculous, obviously made up book.

They have these leaders who are supposed to be directly tuned in to God. Obviously they're no more tuned in to God than I am, because they're regularly wrong, which doesn't seem to bother anyone. And what I love about them is that you can put political pressure on them and they'll come up with the appropriate divine revelation as needed. This is called "God's providence."

The Salamander letter is just the best, total Emperor's New Clothes stuff that the leaders fell for hook line and sinker because they themselves don't believe in the story of the founding of their religion. If they did, they would not have believed such a thing could have existed. Instead they were completely prepared to believe in this forgery, showing that they themselves know the whole thing is based on a lie.

Well, I could go on and on: how Joseph Smith used his con to get women and money, the Book of Abraham scam, the Kinderhook plates.

So all in all LDS is a constant source of hilarity to me.

The only thing that bothers me about it is that if you can get millions of people to believe that, you can get them to believe anything, which is really disturbing, and brings us to the subject of Scientology.

Francine

A con artist/treasure hunter tells his nearest and dearest that an angel named "Moroni" (I love it already!) told him where to dig for some golden plates, so he did, and they were covered with squiggles resembling no known language, but which he says is "reformed Egyptian." Of course, Egyptologists tell us it's no sort of Egyptian at all.

The father of Lehi knew both Hebrew and "reformed Egyptian", and I suppose reformed Egyptian could have been a Jewish version of the language. Since no one has seen characters from the language, no one can say either way.

And what does it tell us? That there have been waves of immigration from the Near East to America

Just two, the Nephite/Lamanite bunch, and the Jaredites before them.

that America was settled and populated by these people, Good Guys (white) and Bad Guys (Indian)

Ironically, the Lamanites, after they converted, proved to be far less liable to "dwindle in unbelief". I think they should have been given the greater blessings, but oh well.

...that built huge cities, fought with swords, rode chariots, herded cattle and did all kind of fantastic things, but somehow vanished without a trace, either archeological or genetic.

Well you got 'em there.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I know precious little about Mormonism, although I have learned from many on this site. What I like most is not anything to do with doctrine but its apparent effects on the followers. Ever person I've worked with who is a Mormon has been the kind of person I enjoy having on my team, without exception very helpful and conscientious.

What I like least is the notion (one I probably misunderstood) of the followers becoming rulers after mortality. I imagine very different fates for beings on the planet ruled by, say, Bishka versus some other Mormons I've seen posting. The potential for inconsistency bugs me. If the god of this planet was a real jerk, I'd want to go to Bishka's world, but we'd all be stuck. The upside is that it would explain some of the religious stories I've read.
Well, you don't need to worry, Wandered Off, because we don't believe any of us are going to be ruling over any of you. I promise you that! We believe that all of God's sons and daughters (that includes not only Mormons, not only Christians, not only theists but ALL of His sons and daughters) have been given the potential to be like Him someday. Furthermore, the final curtain does not fall at death. There will be an interim period of time in between death and the resurrection when a lot will happen that will ultimately affect everybody's "fate" -- which is not really fate after all.

Thanks for your kind post!

Read this slowly again ok < Psalms 109 >

To Answer You Question Most People Only Want There Ego Feed And Can't Deal With The Fact's . You On The Other Hand Like To Get Into Other People Business And Starts Troublem .

Francine

To Answer You Question Most People Only Want There Ego Feed And Can't Deal With The Fact's . You On The Other Hand Like To Get Into Other People Business And Starts Troublem .

I'm a quick study. In places where I cannot reply in accordance with the rules, I will only ask questions.

Are you calling Katzpur a liar?

Why are you her Savior ... We'll see if she one or not when she try to cover up the mormos teaching wont we . Some time it's best not to speak when you don't know who your dealing with ( True ? ) She can give insult let see how she deal with the facts ok

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
***MOD POST***

If you cannot refrain from personal remarks and practice civility and respect while debating in this thread, see yourself out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.