• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you/do you not like about Mormonism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke

Done here.
I also heard that they don't let non-Mormons into their Church, any other Christian denomination love to get visitors.
You're thinking of the temples. You can go to a meetinghouse for regular services any time.

What I like best about the LDS Church is the Family History Library and its microfilm lending system. I couldn't have done my research on my German ancestry without it.

What I dislike most is the Church's virulent anti-gay stance, and the fact that the Church lobbies for anti-gay legislation.

I also dislike the dishonesty of the Church (and I do mean the Church hierarchy, not the individual members). They aren't honest about their history or even about their religion. By that I mean that there was plenty of violence on both sides in the 19th century, and the Mormons was often the aggressors, but the Church has attempted to sanitize its history to portray early Mormons are peaceful innocents set upon by religious persecutors for no reason. I also mean that I dislike the attempt to mainstream the faith, and to take any negative comment about Mormon beliefs as "bigotry."

As for the "absurdity" of their beliefs, well, I do think they're absurd, but no more so than the beliefs of most other religions, and I don't think people who believe Jesus was born of a virgin, walked on water, rose from the dead and ascended into heaven, or that the Qur'an is the perfect word of God and that Muhammad made a night journey to Jerusalem and to heaven, or that God gave the Oral Torah to Moses, or any of a number of other very common and widely accepted beliefs, are in much of a position to make scornful comments about golden plates.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well what authority does he have, should he choose to exercise it? Is his authority above human law? This is a point of ignorance on my part, all I know of the Prophet is hearsay, my LDS friends have never really talked about it.
From our perspective, he has the authority to speak to the Church as a whole, on behalf of God. He has the authority to tell us what God has inspired him to tell us about what is expected of us as members of the Church. We have the right to either pay attention to what he says or to ignore him.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Some of the things I detest about Mormons are:

1. Their bright, shiny, well-scrubbed faces. They are usually so nice too. What is with that?
2. Their ethic of doing hard work to achieve their goals. Like -- really.
3. Their weird outreach program when young Mormons are sent all over the world to spread the word. Like really. It is just so much more reasonable to send little old ladies to people's doorsteps who have no real sense of humor. Sending enthusiastic, intelligent kids. Sheesh!
4. Then there is that absurd notion that we are "gods" in embryo. LOL. What is up with that, eh. Like, people are people and there is NO HOPE that we are something much greater. Get a freakin' grip, eh.
5. That god is a physical being. Like -- that is just so plain weird. How can god, like, ya know, um, have like a body, eh? Like, ya know, the dude can only do, ya know, like... anything... so... ya know, what's like, um, the deal with, like, that, eh? Like, ya know, "hello", eh. Like, um -- seriously.
6. What is with this stuff about getting messages on gold plates? Like, really. They never seem to mention the crystal and cutlery at all. (And no placemats, either.) Sheesh.

I do hope my dear Mormon friends take this in the spirit it was intended. :)
Well, I thought you were serious half way up through statement #1. I've always known that we shine (some people have described it as a "glow") but as soon as you said we were "nice," I knew something was up. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The real problem with some Mormons is they are just to damn nice.
[paranoid]People are only that nice when they are planning something, I think they are trying to take over the world[/paranoid]
You're too smart for us. I guess we'll have to start being rude so people won't catch on to the plot!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
What I dislike most is the Church's virulent anti-gay stance, and the fact that the Church lobbies for anti-gay legislation.
As a man of faith, I will abstain from giving an unwanted opinion. As an American, I will fight for your right to pursue gay rights just as I will fight for the right of religious folks to further their agenda as well.

Our rights are a double edged sword. You cannot condem one groups rights without limiting your own. Don't throw the baby away with the bath water.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
You're thinking of the temples. You can go to a meetinghouse for regular services any time.
I can't believe it didn't even occur to me that that's what Christine meant!

I don't like that either, Bill, especially the lobbying. I really wish the Church would just live and let live in matters like this.

I also dislike the dishonesty of the Church (and I do mean the Church hierarchy, not the individual members). They aren't honest about their history or even about their religion. By that I mean that there was plenty of violence on both sides in the 19th century, and the Mormons was often the aggressors, but the Church has attempted to sanitize its history to portray early Mormons are peaceful innocents set upon by religious persecutors for no reason.
Well, there are two sides to every story, aren't there? And as my mom used to tell me when I was a kid, it takes two to quarrel. I'm sure the persecutors had their reasons (some of them actually legitimate), but we were severely persecuted long, long before we got to be big enough to be any kind of a threat to anybody. By the time the Church had grown large enough to make a difference in the lives of non-members, the differences between "us" and "them" made peaceful co-existance just about impossible. Seriously, though, how many religions in the United States have had a formal, governmental extermination order put out against them?

I also mean that I dislike the attempt to mainstream the faith, and to take any negative comment about Mormon beliefs as "bigotry."
I don't really think we are attempting to mainstream our faith as much as people perceive us to be. We acknowledge the differences between ourselves and other Christian Churches. We do take issue with the accusation that we're not really a Christian faith, though, because we definitely do love Jesus Christ and believe Him to be our Savior. I agree, though, that we need to learn to be thicker-skinned. Participating on RF has really helped me in this regard. I've learned not to jump to the immediate conclusion that people hate my religion when they find fault with some of its doctrines. We tend to become defensive sometimes when it's not really called for. I think that part of it is due to nothing more than immaturity.

Smoke

Done here.
As a man of faith, I will abstain from giving an unwanted opinion. As an American, I will fight for your right to pursue gay rights just as I will fight for the right of religious folks to further their agenda as well.
The thing is, I'm not trying to limit the rights of religious folks in any way, and I wouldn't support anybody who did. That religious folks refuse to return the favor, and ascribe their refusal to their religion, is very revealing.

Our rights are a double edged sword. You cannot condem one groups rights without limiting your own. Don't throw the baby away with the bath water.
I suggest you direct that admonition to the religious folks. If we accept that the majority can abrogate the rights of the minority, that principle may come back to haunt you some day.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I stand corrected. The former respite worker for my autistic son, who is a Mormon, was telling me that visitors cannot go to the temple. It did not occur to me there was a meeting place, too. You learn something new every day. That is why I came to these forums in the beginning, to learn. ;)

Reactions: FFH

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Things I don't like about Mormonism:

1. It does not teach a trinitarian God.
  2. It does not teach salvation by grace alone through faith alone.
  3. It says Jesus had a beginning.
  4. It teaches the fall of man was a necessary event.
  5. Polygamy.
  6. It teaches that they have restored the gospel which was previously lost to all denominations.
As for LDS people, no two people are the same unless you all have defining charcteristics I am unaware of. The few that I have got to know on a personal level have had a negative effect on my view of mormonism but most of the LDS people on here have been a pleasure to discuss with and to read their apologetics, which I admire.

!Fluffy!

Lacking Common Sense
What things do you like and not like about the LDS Church and the people?

um, i guess as regards RF anyway, the way Mormons keep asking questions like this and then not liking the answers they get when they are negative, seems just a little disingenuous.

but seriously in the not-like column:

• the BofM and its heretical departures from Christianity
  • Joseph Smith and his fake revelations
I like:
  • the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing the Messiah
  • my Mormon buddies who are so full of love and kindness, and
  • my ex-Mormon buddies who are so full of light and laughter
Sincerely and in my humble opinion only,

!Fluffy!

nutshell

I like the Book of Mormon and how it affirms the Bible.

I like Joseph Smith for being a tool in God's hands and restoring lost Truth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My husband is not a Mormon and he sometimes says he would accept polygamy.(Christine rolls her eyes)
Suggest that he think of all your negative qualities and multiply them by three or four. :D My husband couldn't afford more wives than one, even if he wanted them!

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
What things do you like and not like about the LDS Church and the people?
I almost didn't recognize you with the new name, avatar, and religion.

What I like about the LDS Church, though isn't exclusive to the church, is the solidarity and family atmosphere. There's always someone to help you out when you need it.

What I don't like is the lack of democracy (if you don't like something there is no say in changing it), the obsessive condemnation of pre-marital sex, and the overuse and misuse of the word "inappropriate".

I'd also like to add that putting carrots in jello is disgusting.

Somkid

I have nothing against anyones beliefs or practices as long as they are helpful and non-harmful. To answer you question though I don't like them here in Thailand trying to convert the Hill Tribes and exploiting them. The Mormons originally tried converting Thais but failed miserably due to lack of logic and evidence of what they said so the moved on to the Hill Tribes, which consist mostly of a poor farming class that are refugees from Burma and Laos.

I had a conversation with a Mormon one day and I told him if you truly want to help these people teach them to speak Thai as it would help them to become citizens instead of people without a country, teaching them English so they can read the book of Mormon is just ignorant and harmful unless you plan on giving them a wonderful life in an English speaking country which is not possible because people that are not citizens of any country may find it hard to get a passport or visa for anywhere.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
To answer you question though I don't like them here in Thailand trying to convert the Hill Tribes and exploiting them.
How did they exploit them? Do you have friends and family in this tribe?

I had a conversation with a Mormon one day and I told him if you truly want to help these people teach them to speak Thai as it would help them to become citizens instead of people without a country, teaching them English so they can read the book of Mormon is just ignorant and harmful unless you plan on giving them a wonderful life in an English speaking country which is not possible because people that are not citizens of any country may find it hard to get a passport or visa for anywhere.
Don't you think it would be a waste of time for someone who hardly knows how to speak Thai himself to try to teach someone else to speak Thai? And why would the Mormon missionaries go to the trouble of teaching people English so that they can read the The Book of Mormon? Why not just hand them a copy of the book in Thai?

DeepShadow

White Crow
teaching them English so they can read the book of Mormon is just ignorant and harmful unless you plan on giving them a wonderful life in an English speaking country which is not possible because people that are not citizens of any country may find it hard to get a passport or visa for anywhere.

Why not just give them a copy in their own language?

Status
Not open for further replies.