• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you/do you not like about Mormonism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somkid

How did they exploit them? Do you have friends and family in this tribe?

Don't you think it would be a waste of time for someone who hardly knows how to speak Thai himself to try to teach someone else to speak Thai? And why would the Mormon missionaries go to the trouble of teaching people English so that they can read the The Book of Mormon? Why not just hand them a copy of the book in Thai?

Yes, I do know many of the Hill Tribe people and I have been working with them voluntarily to better their situation for 3 years in a non religious capacity.
They are exploited as slave labor primarily making quilts (like Amish quilts) for about $2 USD which are in turn huckstered on eBay for 100's of dollars with some sob story how they get the money, yep $2.

As far as someone teaching them Thai that doesn't speak it no, obviously thats just silly, my point is that we don't need anyone swimming in our soup the country is 95% Buddhist and we all get along in peace why does anyone want to stir it up. Islam came to the south of the country and has caused nothing but violence, destruction and murder. The Tribes are innocent and easily impressed thus they are an easy target.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, I do know many of the Hill Tribe people and I have been working with them voluntarily to better their situation for 3 years in a non religious capacity.
That's very admirable, seriously.

They are exploited as slave labor primarily making quilts (like Amish quilts) for about $2 USD which are in turn huckstered on eBay for 100's of dollars with some sob story how they get the money, yep $2.
And that's tragic. It really is.

As far as someone teaching them Thai that doesn't speak it no, obviously thats just silly, my point is that we don't need anyone swimming in our soup the country is 95% Buddhist and we all get along in peace why does anyone want to stir it up. Islam came to the south of the country and has caused nothing but violence, destruction and murder. The Tribes are innocent and easily impressed thus they are an easy target.
Well, I'm sorry that you see us as having stirred the pot. That certainly would not be our intention, but you are obviously convinced, so I'm not going to try to change your mind. But, just in case you are interested, the following link describes some of the Church's humanitarian work in Thailand:

Mormon Missionaries Aid Village in Thailand

Somkid

I don't mean to come off so strong it is because in my personal experience I have been persecuted and discriminated against which is how I have come to live here and I think you can understand how I want to preserve my freedom here because I have no place left to go.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't mean to come off so strong it is because in my personal experience I have been persecuted and discriminated against which is how I have come to live here and I think you can understand how I want to preserve my freedom here because I have no place left to go.
I'm sure I can't fully understand because I've never walked in your shoes, but thank you for explaining. It has helped me to be able to get glimpse into your situation.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I had a conversation with a Mormon one day and I told him if you truly want to help these people teach them to speak Thai as it would help them to become citizens instead of people without a country, teaching them English so they can read the book of Mormon is just ignorant and harmful unless you plan on giving them a wonderful life in an English speaking country which is not possible because people that are not citizens of any country may find it hard to get a passport or visa for anywhere.

Another benefit in speaking English is to be able to communicate with the REST of the world. but if I was there I would probably teach them in Thai. But ofcourse I'm not there so I don't know the specifics of the situation. By the way did you ever ask this Mormon why they were teaching them in English?

I served in the Philippines. There are many many different languages over there. But we taught them in their national language of Tagalog. When they created a new mission and I was assigned in the office I worked closely with the mission president. The native dialect of those people was Ilokano. When he asked our opinion as to wether the mission should teach in Tagalog or Ilokano we suggested Tagalog because it is the national language. My personal reason behind this was to help unify the nation, not divide it.

Francine

Are You Put Word's In My Mouth ?
I Said I Don't Like The Teaching . Didn't USE The Word Hate .

You said their teaching was made up. But actually, Joseph Smith translated ancient metal plates which were a historical record of a branch of Jews who traveled by sea from Jerusalem to Central America just before the fall of that city to Nebuchadnezzar.

You said their teaching was made up. But actually, Joseph Smith translated ancient metal plates which were a historical record of a branch of Jews who traveled by sea from Jerusalem to Central America just before the fall of that city to Nebuchadnezzar.

Like I Said I Didn't Use The Word HATE .
Are Sure You Want To Do This ? I Really Don't Think You Know What Your Talking About . Joseph Smith Was A Mason . But That's Another Story For Another Time
. We're Talking About Their Teaching Yes .

Now I'm Going To Give You A Free Pass Being You Woman Ok . LOLOLOLOL Anyway Few Line Doesn't Explain Their Teaching Now Does It ?

athanasius

What things do you like and not like about the LDS Church and the people?

I like the love the LDS people have for God and their faith. They sacrifce alot and I think they serve as models for Charitable faith for all. I also like the family enviroment they create in their families. It is truly a blessing. I appreciate the truths that they do hold in common with Christendom and cheer them on. We can learn alot from them. I have never met a LDS I didn't like. There all very nice devout people who really believe in ultimate truth. As far as the LDS Organization and her heirarchy goes then I would have to say dislike and disagree with many of their core dogmas.

Francine

I like the love the LDS people have for God and their faith. They sacrifce alot and I think they serve as models for Charitable faith for all. I also like the family enviroment they create in their families. It is truly a blessing. I appreciate the truths that they do hold in common with Christendom and cheer them on. We can learn alot from them. I have never met a LDS I didn't like. There all very nice devout people who really believe in ultimate truth. As far as the LDS Organization and her heirarchy goes then I would have to say dislike and disagree with many of their core dogmas.

This is what I like about the Book of Mormon:

In many places, it is doctrinally sound, and actually more concise and clear than the New Testament, concerning things which pertain to eternal salvation. An example is Alma 25:16 Now they did not suppose that salvation came by the law of Moses; but the law of Moses did serve to strengthen their faith in Christ; and thus they did retain a hope through faith, unto eternal salvation, relying upon the spirit of prophecy, which spake of those things to come.

This is what I do not like about the book of Mormon:

In 1Nephi chapter 4, God actually commands Nephi to murder Laban in order to obtain certain brass plates, because they contain the law of Moses and God wants him to bring them along on the sea voyage to America. In so doing, Nephi breaks two of the commandments on those plates, against murder and theft. In the Old Testament God commands the Israelites to make war upon this or that nation, but he never commands anyone to commit sin.

Another disturbing thing is the frequent mention of dark skin as a "curse", and white skin indicating spiritual "purity" which betrays 19th Century prejudice rather than expressing eternal truth.

I do not know enough about the LDS Church beyond what I have read in the BoM to offer a further critique.

athanasius

This is what I like about the Book of Mormon:

In many places, it is doctrinally sound, and actually more concise and clear than the New Testament, concerning things which pertain to eternal salvation. An example is Alma 25:16 Now they did not suppose that salvation came by the law of Moses; but the law of Moses did serve to strengthen their faith in Christ; and thus they did retain a hope through faith, unto eternal salvation, relying upon the spirit of prophecy, which spake of those things to come.

This is what I do not like about the book of Mormon:

In 1Nephi chapter 4, God actually commands Nephi to murder Laban in order to obtain certain brass plates, because they contain the law of Moses and God wants him to bring them along on the sea voyage to America. In so doing, Nephi breaks two of the commandments on those plates, against murder and theft. In the Old Testament God commands the Israelites to make war upon this or that nation, but he never commands anyone to commit sin.

Another disturbing thing is the frequent mention of dark skin as a "curse", and white skin indicating spiritual "purity" which betrays 19th Century prejudice rather than expressing eternal truth.

I do not know enough about the LDS Church beyond what I have read in the BoM to offer a further critique.

I can see what you mean. You have a point. I suppose my biggest problem is believing Joseph Smith to be a true prophet and believing the book of Mormon or any New public revelation to be real. That would be the core of my disagreement. Along with their understanding of the nature of Jesus and Godhead.

Francine

I can see what you mean. You have a point. I suppose my biggest problem is believing Joseph Smith to be a true prophet and believing the book of Mormon or any New public revelation to be real. That would be the core of my disagreement. Along with their understanding of the nature of Jesus and Godhead.

A friend of mine went into the RCIA. In preparation for this, she wrote to the Knights of Columbus and requested a mail-order course that they offered. The approach of this course was interesting. You weren't agreeing to Catholic teachings by taking the course, but you were learning what Catholics believed. At any rate, when the Mormon missionaries came to us, I dealt with their literature in the same way. I read the BoM not to play "gotcha" but to really learn what they believed. I can see how God might be able to actually use the Book of Mormon to reach people. But they keep trying to get me to go further, to revelations that were made to Smith and Young and the various Presidents of the Church and that I will not do, because I believe general revelation was closed with the authorship of 2 Peter, around 125 AD (the last book to be written in our bible).

athanasius

A friend of mine went into the RCIA. In preparation for this, she wrote to the Knights of Columbus and requested a mail-order course that they offered. The approach of this course was interesting. You weren't agreeing to Catholic teachings by taking the course, but you were learning what Catholics believed. At any rate, when the Mormon missionaries came to us, I dealt with their literature in the same way. I read the BoM not to play "gotcha" but to really learn what they believed. I can see how God might be able to actually use the Book of Mormon to reach people. But they keep trying to get me to go further, to revelations that were made to Smith and Young and the various Presidents of the Church and that I will not do, because I believe general revelation was closed with the authorship of 2 Peter, around 125 AD (the last book to be written in our bible).

Cool, The knights must be doing good catechetical work. Awesome! that helps us apologist and teachers. Have you ever read Hahn or Kreeft or Akin? I understand what you mean. I have not read the entire book of Mormon yet although I do own one. I agree with you that all public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle. Of coarse, apostolic tradition teaches this but they do not accept Apostilic tradition because they believe the entire chruch and her oral teachings were lost and eventually apostacized. to me this make no sense because the canon of the new testament they depend upon really is taken from Catholic Councils and Popes(Rome 382, Hippo 393, Carthage 397, Florence 1439, Trent 1546). So in order for Joseph Smith to even begin having a new testamant to use he had to rely on Catholic infallible Authority for its canon. That is illogical to me because why rely on a "Apostate Church" and her false councils then to even know what the new testamant was??? It seems very contradictory to my understanding.

Francine

Cool, The knights must be doing good catechetical work. Awesome! that helps us apologist and teachers. Have you ever read Hahn or Kreeft or Akin?

I am familiar with Scott Hahn because of his theory that Revelation is a depiction of mass, and because of the vitriol some other Catholics heap on him in this chatroom I attend (they consider him a Protestant double agent). The others I don't know, but I'm just a kid.

to me this make no sense because the canon of the new testament they depend upon really is taken from Catholic Councils and Popes(Rome 382, Hippo 393, Carthage 397, Florence 1439, Trent 1546). So in order for Joseph Smith to even begin having a new testamant to use he had to rely on Catholic infallible Authority for its canon. That is illogical to me because why rely on a "Apostate Church" and her false councils then to even know what the new testamant was??? It seems very contradictory to my understanding.
I found it curiously difficult to attack the missionaries on that front. Much of the BoM is lifted right out of the New Testament, and makes a word for word copy of things that were not written until many years after the time they were supposed to have been committed to the golden plates. You and I both know that scripture is a collaboration between men and God, but Mormons defend these anachronisms by suggesting that the same Holy Spirit that caused Paul to write Galatians used the same words when he caused the Nephite judge Alma to write his metal plate. So my objection was not intractable, and I realized that, and did not pursue it.

jonny

I found it curiously difficult to attack the missionaries on that front. Much of the BoM is lifted right out of the New Testament, and makes a word for word copy of things that were not written until many years after the time they were supposed to have been committed to the golden plates. You and I both know that scripture is a collaboration between men and God, but Mormons defend these anachronisms by suggesting that the same Holy Spirit that caused Paul to write Galatians used the same words when he caused the Nephite judge Alma to write his metal plate. So my objection was not intractable, and I realized that, and did not pursue it.

Keep in mind that the Book of Mormon is a translation, so I would say that Joseph Smith used the words of Paul (translated into English) in his translation - not Alma.

athanasius

I am familiar with Scott Hahn because of his theory that Revelation is a depiction of mass, and because of the vitriol some other Catholics heap on him in this chatroom I attend (they consider him a Protestant double agent). The others I don't know, but I'm just a kid.

Hahn is a solid Catholic scholar with some very new but sound theories. Akin is perhaps the most intellectually engaging Catholic apologist I studied. His Masters is in philosophy so he can argue very well but he does so much research he sounds like should have a Doctorate in Theology, Greek and Church history. Here is his website its a powerhouse of info. He is a great speaker.

The Nazareth Resource Library

Dr.Kreeft is a Catholic philosopher and apologist who teaches at Boston College. He is a convert to Catholicism and uses Socratic method in his arguments. He is very good and a amusing speaker.

Here is his site: Peter Kreeft - Featured Audio

Anoteher excellent scholar is Father Mitch Pacwa. He is scripture Scholar and theologian. Almost anything he teaches is great. He goes very deep into studies. He knows 12 languages fluently and half of them are ancient. His website is this:

Ignatius Productions - A Teaching Apostolate of Fr. Mitch Pacwa, S.J. » Curriculum Vitae

Status
Not open for further replies.