• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What convinced you that Evolution is the truth?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Certainly. We are THE unique sentient life form on this unique earth. (Or, for that matter, on any other planet, currently….UFO’s / UAP’s notwithstanding. Lol.)

Because life is so ubiquitous on this planet, it masks the fact that material life is extremely rare & valued throughout the universe.
Life is created.

From what I’ve come to learn about our Creator through studying the Bible, I can see where these planets that have been / are being discovered - or at least some of them - will be future homes for us humans as we become more populous.
Under the right Guidance, our scientific technology will advance to allow such travel, and exploration & discovery will always be a big part of mankind’s experience.

1 Corinthians 2:9; Ecclesiastes 3:11.
Yes. We have so much to learn and right now so little time in which to learn even what we want to know. :) So thanks for that.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I also like this teaching of Jesus -- "Then Jesus said to him “Put your sword back in its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." Matthew 26:52.
What do you think of this one a few chapters earlier (Matthew 10:34): "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."
I do not see "evidence" that humans are apes linked to gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees, and earlier -- fish
That's by choice, which is a reflection on how you choose to process evidence and not an indication that the evidence doesn't exist.
We are THE unique sentient life form on this unique earth.
Yes, we are unique, but not because we are sentient. Many animals have inner lives that include consciousness, sensory awareness, feelings, urges, recollections, and the like. Like us, they are also sentient.

What distinguishes the human mind is intellect, or the ability to reason and communicate using abstract symbols (language and mathematics).
Because life is so ubiquitous on this planet, it masks the fact that material life is extremely rare & valued throughout the universe.
Life is probably extremely common. It probably exists everywhere that it is possible for it to exist. There is very likely simple life in our solar system outside of earth. Why because everything else that can happen does happen every time the conditions are right for it, such as water freezing then melting as ambient conditions change.
I believe there will never be enough evidence for one that believes evolution is true, until they first deal with the root Belief of every atheists core belief! And that is...there is NO god!
I'm an atheist and that isn't my belief. As has been explained, claiming that gods don't exist is not essential to atheism, but not claiming that they do is. Some atheists - so-called hard or gnostic atheists - do both, but the agnostic atheist only does the latter.

And no, there is never enough evidence to justify a belief if it is false. A false belief cannot be shown to be true and a true belief cannot be shown to be false (falsified). Supernatural creationism cannot be shown to be correct, and evolution hasn't been falsified. In fact, it has been shown to be correct beyond reasonable doubt.
No matter what evidence is shown or given that there is intelligent design, there will always be the perception that it is wrong.
What creationists offer as evidence of supernatural intelligent design is consistent with a godless universe that evolved naturalistically from an initial hot, dense state to the world we see around us. What's your best evidence? Scripture? The complexity of life? A fine-tuning argument? Philosophical arguments like the existence of moral feelings?

None of them support a supernaturalistic explanation better than they do a naturalistic one. All of those arguments can be successfully refuted. Scripture contains errors and is indistinguishable from the other words of ancient men. Complexity arguments are a combination of incredulity and special pleading fallacies. A fine-tuning argument is an argument that reality is natural as is a god is constrained to a set of physical parameters that it has to discover and conform to. And the conscience has adaptive value and confers reproductive advantage.
I challenge anyone to prove me wrong that a car, a book, computers etc., can thru millions, hey how about billions of years of chance can somehow create themselves
As you have already been told, those are not things that can evolve into existence like stars, heavy elements, and life. They do evolve, but only in the trivial sense that ink fades, pages yellow, and metal rusts.
IF THAT IS THE CASE, that there is no God who has created and designed us for PURPOSE
Yes. If there is no god, then nobody created man and man has no purpose apart from the sense of purpose that he creates himself.
To any who would care to read a different view from the belief that one can believe in God and at the same time believe in evolution, then please view the below link.
https://genesisapologetics.com/faqs...that-god-used-evolution-to-create-everything/
I agree with the Christian creationists on this. The scientific order of creation contradicts the biblical account of the appearance of various types of life, science says there was no first man, and the science doesn't allow for man to be created in the image of a deity.

TLK Valentine

Read the books that others would burn.
the "scientific" evidence that apes said to be closest to humans do not have the brain capacity to think as we do.

That's right - they don't. At one point in the distant past, neither did we.
I don't see the problem.

You can believe what you want or perceive the evidence for, but I do not see "evidence" that humans are apes linked to gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees, and earlier -- fish. They may be a step or two away genetically, but that does not mean (to me) that they evolved from some apelike ancestor unknown, and before that fish. That's one point. Another and very importantly to me is that by listening to God's standards I have benefited in many ways mentally and physically.

I get that you don't believe it, but I'm still not seeing the "why" you don't believe it, aside from the good feelings... which, if that's all you're looking for, fine.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Certainly. We are THE unique sentient life form on this unique earth. (Or, for that matter, on any other planet, currently….UFO’s / UAP’s notwithstanding. Lol.)
Lots of life is sentient. My cat is sentient. What people claim is sapience, but considering our history, I'm beginning to question the claim..
Life is created.
Rare and valued? Have you done a survey on the prevalence of life in the universe?
Define "created."
From what I’ve come to learn about our Creator through studying the Bible, I can see where these planets that have been / are being discovered - or at least some of them - will be future homes for us humans as we become more populous.
We're adapted to only one planet, and even if we could live on others, how would we get there? They're light-years away.
"As we become more populous?" Even on our own planet, our sapience has rendered our future here very much in doubt.
Under the right Guidance, our scientific technology will advance to allow such travel, and exploration & discovery will always be a big part of mankind’s experience.

1 Corinthians 2:9; Ecclesiastes 3:11.
Perhaps, but I'm not holding my breath...

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the "scientific" evidence that apes said to be closest to humans do not have the brain capacity to think as we do. You can believe what you want or perceive the evidence for, but I do not see "evidence" that humans are apes linked to gorillas, bonobos, chimpanzees, and earlier -- fish.
Of course you don't. You seem to have confidence in engineering, but the scientific method, and anything to do with biology you either don't grasp, or reject out of hand.
They may be a step or two away genetically, but that does not mean (to me) that they evolved from some apelike ancestor unknown, and before that fish. That's one point. Another and very importantly to me is that by listening to God's standards I have benefited in many ways mentally and physically.
You either don't understand or refuse to accept the consilient evidence the claim is based on.
You're like the papal envoy who would not look through Galileo's telescope, refusing to gaze upon something the church taught was false.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
LOL, I don't believe that. You may and obviously do believe that you are an ape. I no longer do.

Here's a challenge: try and come up with a definition of "ape" that includes all apes while it excludes humans, without adding arbitrary stuff to the definition added for the sole purpose to exclude humans.

You can try and do the same with the word "mammal", to include all mammals yet exclude humans.
Or "eukaryote". Or "animal". Or "tetrapod". Or "vertebrate".

Go ahead. Try.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I believe there will never be enough evidence for one that believes evolution is true, until they first deal with the root Belief of every atheists core belief!

Newsflash 1: the majority of theists have no problem at all with evolutionary biology.
Newsflash 2: there is no "atheist core belief", as atheism is defined by the disbelief of a very specific thing.

Since everything that you wrote after this continues to build on this giant strawman, it falls in the category of "not even wrong".

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I understand what is considered as evidence of the theory. I do not consider the evidence as true any more to be considered as how it happened, such as (some?) fish (wonder how many) eventually becoming mammals.

The nonsense that follows the bolded part, shows that the bolded part is incorrect.

No. That is not the core belief of atheism.
There are several subsets of atheism. Belief that there is no God, ie: "hard atheism," is one of them, but it's not the core belief. The core belief -- the definitive belief -- is the one thing common to all subsets: lack of belief.

No, that's wrong, too. Atheism's an abstract, logic-based rejection of a proposition, based on the fact that theism has not met its burden of proof. As soon as theism can do so, atheists, being reasonable, will have no reasonable choice but to accept it.

Fair enough. And the most accurate predictor of religious belief is the belief of family and social group, not facts, reason, or critical analysis.

Good explanation of theism's famous Watchmaker Argument. It's been extensively refuted. It relies on a false correlation of mechanisms behind the complexity.
Purposive intelligence is not the only mechanism by which functional complexity may come about, and while personal incredulity may have been understandable before the mechanisms of evolution and physiology were discovered and verified there is no longer a good excuse for ignorance this alternate mechanism.
Moreover, even absent the knowledge of evolution and physiology, positing magic and an uncaused, intentional, magician would be unevidenced and non sequitur.

It does when a demonstrable, alternative mechanism has been demonstrated.
Q: how would these probabilities be calculated?

Evolution is not faith-based, as you should know. Unlike magic poofing, it's mechanisms are easily observed and verified.

"Came from nothing and will end up being nothing?!" First, how does this follow from evolution? Second, who ever claimed we came from nothing?
Third, so what? Why is "being something" such a concern for you, and why do you consider it sine qua non?

We have hundreds of "written accounts," from many religions and mythologies, most disagreeing with each other. They are not evidence based or tested, so how are they any more believable than the orcs and hobbits from Lord of the Rings?
Your narrative follows from premises you have not logically or factually demonstrated. What empirical evidence do you have for this "God?"

And how is this obsessive need for purpose and significance evidence for anything? It's epistemic nonsense.

Again, so what? Are you a child, who still needs a strong father protecting you to feel scure?
Why would a world with no religious conflict or coersion; no threat of Hell, so distress you?
I know the Evolution belief changes from day to day, year to year, I apologize for not staying up on the latest version, this would not be a problem except that with these ever changing versions they are taught to the naive as fact. Mainly the most vulnerable, our children in Public schools, and then our universities as Fact, which is wrong. Which you even speak as most of what you have said as fact, which in most cases are nothing more than assumptions. For instance evolution has not once been proven, only variations within the same Kinds of life forms, NO PROOF of any creature evolving from one kind of creature has ever been proved to have evolved,......And you know that, so to say anything is as mythical as you call religion.

So I dont claim to be an expert on the origin of life or an expert on debunking the so called claims that evolutionist make as (Fact), but are not true.
The link iI have attached s a well written article that uses many quotes and findings from the very ones that you quite possibly got your beliefs from.
Please read the entire article and tell me where the author who is an expert, has it wrong. He of course believes in intelligent design, not evolution, but presents facts not opinions.

I look forward to your response.

And I challenge you to put two phones, vehicles, books, pencils, papers, computers, websites, etc... in a room together, put some John Coltrane music on, and see if they go about creating themselves.

Perhaps living things are different?
Very true, Living things are different, So what is your opinion on how life (living things came to be.........Le't start with the building block of all living organisms. The cell.

No! Apparently you don't even understand what evolution is, much less the mechanisms driving it.
Evolution is change, not creation.
Ok, well spoken! so what are these (proven, not assumed) mechanisms that you are referring to? And as for Evolution as you define it, still must have a starting point of how evolution (change) began. And a proven plausible plan of action for the mechanisms to function, from simpler forms of life to the more complex life forms that you are going to educate me with.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I know the Evolution belief
What is an evolution belief?
changes from day to day, year to year,
How do you know? What are the changes?
I apologize for not staying up on the latest version,
I'm have no reason to know that you have anything to apologize for regarding the theory.
this would not be a problem except that with these ever changing versions they are taught to the naive as fact.
The facts of evolution are the evidence. Facts would by definition be taught as facts.

The theory is the explanation for those facts.
Mainly the most vulnerable, our children in Public schools, and then our universities as Fact, which is wrong.
Educating children in science is wrong?
Which you even speak as most of what you have said as fact, which in most cases are nothing more than assumptions.
You have to establish that and given that you claim not to be an expert, I wonder how you would go about that.
For instance evolution has not once been proven,
No theory is proven. Proof is not a standard of science. Germ theory, atomic theory, all the theories associated with computers. None of those have been or ever will be proven. Yet here we are using computers to communicate.
only variations within the same Kinds of life forms,
What is a kind?
NO PROOF of any creature evolving from one kind of creature has ever been proved to have evolved,
You are correct. No proof. But lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of evidence that are explained by the theory of evolution.
......And you know that, so to say anything is as mythical as you call religion.
It isn't established as mythical. It is science and not a religion. If you are claiming it is, straw men are not the means to go about that.
So I dont claim to be an expert on the origin of life
That wouldn't matter, since the theory is about the change in past and existing life and not about the origin of living things.
or an expert on debunking the so called claims that evolutionist make as (Fact), but are not true.
I agree.
The link iI have attached s a well written article
It isn't well written. Here is a heading title. "CONFESSIONS FROM EVEVOLUCIONISTS".

It isn't a peer reviewed article. It is someone's opinion piece dressed up to look like a science review to those that don't understand science and would be convinced by the confusing details that look so sciency.

"Chandra Wickramasinghe describes the reality he faced as a scientist who had been told throughout his life
that life had emerged as a result of chance coincidences"

It think this says it all. It conflates the theory of evolution with the origin of life. It misidentifies what is actually said in science using a trite creationist cliché that everything is said to happen by chance.
that uses many quotes and findings from the very ones that you quite possibly got your beliefs from.
Please read the entire article and tell me where the author who is an expert, has it wrong. He of course believes in intelligent design, not evolution, but presents facts not opinions.
Did you read the article? It is entirely an opinion piece.

It isn't science. Here is another heading title that is completely wrong. "THERMODYNAMICS FALSIFIES EVOLUTION" There are others on here that could explain thermodynamics much better than I, but I know enough to know this is a dead end idea with no validity. If the SLoT precluded evolution, it would also preclude life.

I'm guessing you probably won't.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok, well spoken! so what are these (proven, not assumed) mechanisms that you are referring to? And as for Evolution as you define it, still must have a starting point of how evolution (change) began. And a proven plausible plan of action for the mechanisms to function, from simpler forms of life to the more complex life forms that you are going to educate me with.
The starting point for evolution is living things with reproduction, heritable variation and the environment acting on that.

Natural selection is the main mechanism, but genetic drift, immigration and emigration also effect change in populations over time.

These have been observed and are not assumed.

The origin of living things is a different problem than the evolution of living things. Evolution is not dependent on a specific origin for living things. I cannot emphasize this enough I suppose, given that it gets repeated so often by creationists. On this forum, it gets repeated by the same creationists on a regular basis even after many people have corrected it too.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I know the Evolution belief changes from day to day,

It doesn't. We learn more about evolutionary history. The core thesis of the evolutionary process remains virtually unchanged: reproduction with variation followed by selection, in a nutshell.

year to year, I apologize for not staying up on the latest version, this would not be a problem except that with these ever changing versions they are taught to the naive as fact. Mainly the most vulnerable, our children in Public schools, and then our universities as Fact, which is wrong.

Evolution theory, like all other theories, are taught as being scientific theories.
The facts of evolution, like all other scientific facts, are taught as being scientific facts.
Your insinuations here are either plain lies, or stem from scientific illiteracy / ignorance.

Which you even speak as most of what you have said as fact, which in most cases are nothing more than assumptions.

False.

For instance evolution has not once been proven,

No scientific theory has been "proven" because by very definition, they can not be "proven". Only supported with evidence.
This is as true for evolution as it is for gravity, germs, plate tectonics, atoms, relativity, etc etc etc

only variations within the same Kinds of life forms,

If anything other would occur, evolution would be falsified.
Talk about arguing a strawman....

Why is it that creationists consistently make this basic mistake?

NO PROOF of any creature evolving from one kind of creature has ever been proved to have evolved

Again: if that were to happen, evolution would be disproven. Learn what evolution actually says before trying to argue against it and making a fool of yourself in the process.

So I dont claim to be an expert on the origin of life or an expert on debunking the so called claims that evolutionist make as (Fact), but are not true.

Not only are you not an expert, you don't even seem to understand the basics of the basics of the basics....
IOW: you literally understand virtually nothing about the theory.

The link iI have attached s a well written article that uses many quotes and findings from the very ones that you quite possibly got your beliefs from.

ID is no more then an argument from ignorance.
We get it: the cell is complex and you find that overwhelming and impressive.
Your argument from complexity (which is just a variation of the argument from ignorance) is noted.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Ok, well spoken! so what are these (proven, not assumed) mechanisms that you are referring to?

Reproduction with variation followed by natural selection.
It's not that complicated.

And as for Evolution as you define it, still must have a starting point of how evolution (change) began.

And that starting point is: life exists, competes over limited resources and reproduces with variation. That's it.
Once you have that, evolutionary processes are inevitable.

And a proven plausible plan of action for the mechanisms to function, from simpler forms of life to the more complex life forms that you are going to educate me with.
See above: reproduction with variation, competition and inevitably from those two: natural selection.

Astrophile

I know the Evolution belief changes from day to day, year to year, I apologize for not staying up on the latest version, this would not be a problem except that with these ever changing versions they are taught to the naive as fact. Mainly the most vulnerable, our children in Public schools, and then our universities as Fact, which is wrong. Which you even speak as most of what you have said as fact, which in most cases are nothing more than assumptions. For instance evolution has not once been proven, only variations within the same Kinds of life forms, NO PROOF of any creature evolving from one kind of creature has ever been proved to have evolved,......And you know that, so to say anything is as mythical as you call religion.
What would you accept as compelling evidence for evolution? Scientists have the evidence from comparative anatomy, evidence that led Linnaeus to classify humans with the apes decades before Charles Darwin was born, the evidence from the pattern of genetic similarities and differences that links all living things, and the fossil evidence that living things have changed radically through geological history. There is the evidence that animal and plant breeders have produced strikingly different forms of dogs, horses, cabbages, roses, etc. by selective breeding over a few centuries.

There is the evidence that living things reproduce themselves, that their offspring are not identical either to the parents or to one another, and that only some of the offspring live to produce the next generation. These changes from generation to generation, and the differential reproductive success of members of the same generation, are bound, over long periods of time, to produce large changes.

Why do you regard this evidence as insufficient, and what would you accept as valid evidence for evolution?

What do you mean by 'Kinds of life forms'? Do you regard all snails as belonging to the same kind, or all butterflies, or all jellyfish, or all primates? Please give me a precise definition of a kind, and explain why variations beyond the limits of a kind are impossible.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What would you accept as compelling evidence for evolution?
Rhetorical question, right? You probably know the answer. The moderator in the debate between Ken Ham and Bill Nye on whether creationism is a viable scientific pursuit asked, “What would change your minds?” Scientist Bill Nye answered, “Evidence.” Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham answered, “Nothing. I'm a Christian.” Elsewhere, Ham stated, “By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."

The creationist isn't trying to learn the science. The opposite is the case. He goes to apologetics sites to read specious arguments so that he can reproduce them. When he asks questions, it's not for answers. He will never learn a single thing from you or me. Next year, the year after that, and for every year to come, he will continue to make the same mistakes he made last year. He will go on telling you what hasn't been proved, that man is not an ape or an animal, that cats can't become dogs, that living things adapt rather than evolve, and make the same logical errors about complexity implying a god. Year after year after year.

Why? They're not mistakes to him. You can't make him see them as such, and he has no incentive to change. Au contraire. He is highly motivated to never change. It's the path he's chosen, and with rare exception, there's no turning back for him just as critical thinkers have chosen a different path and there is generally no turning back for them, either.

The creationist's job is to try to make others believe that he is interested in learning the science and uses reason applied to evidence in these matters, so he asks questions the answers to which he either doesn't read or cannot understand. We see both. Some seem sincere with their questions, but they don't do any better than those for whom it is obvious that they aren't even looking at the replies or links provided.

So why do this? Why read and post on RF? It has to be for other reasons than helping such people, because they actively resist learning, and if they're in the second half of their lives, they probably couldn't learn now even if they lost their faith and began studying science at age 50 or 60. I don't think I'm telling you anything you don't already know or suspect.

Here's why I'm here: I call this activity humanist school. It has lecture and lab sections. The critical thinkers get to hone their writing and rhetorical skills, and teach and learn from one another. That's the lecture aspect. The lab is simply looking at how faith affects thinking. We see a wide spectrum of people here from those with no god belief or religion to those with just a little religion who are essentially indistinguishable from atheistic humanists except that they embrace Christian culture, to those so deeply shaped by religious beliefs and whose means of processing evidence is so radically different from critical thought that it makes them impossible to exchange information with. Where else can you see and learn such things?