• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What convinced you that Evolution is the truth?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Now the next question and I may not be at the computer long enough now to see your answer...do you really think the ancient prokaryotes looked like what is depicted in your post?
That was a bit of humor. The reason that I said spherical to start with is because that is the natural shape of vesicles. It would not have been until early life was getting a fair degree of complexity that it would be anything abut a sphere. Or a distorted one when about to break in two.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
That was a bit of humor. The reason that I said spherical to start with is because that is the natural shape of vesicles. It would not have been until early life was getting a fair degree of complexity that it would be anything abut a sphere. Or a distorted one when about to break in two.
Since there seems to be a bit of discussion about ancient prokaryotes vs. present-day prokaryotes, I am probably going to opt out of that discussion because it seems to have engendered hostility from those not willing to answer.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Meaning the concepts or the actuality. As I have said, if someone believes in evolution, how can he teach or believe in the genealogical account in the Bible?
What does biblical genealogy have to do with selection and reproductive success of reproductive variants?

YoursTrue

Whether those accounts are accurate is irrelevant to me because it's Jesus' teachings that mostly count, imo.
I also like this teaching of Jesus -- "Then Jesus said to him “Put your sword back in its place; for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." Matthew 26:52.

Astrophile

Yes, I would agree on humans being important.
Now I understand you won’t accept this, but doesn’t the Bible indicate that, when it says God’s Firstborn, Jesus, gave his life “as a ransom” for mankind? (Matthew 20:28) That does make us kind of special.
Can you really look at the night sky, with the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way galaxy, and trillions of galaxies extending through a possibly infinite universe, and go on believing that the Earth, and human beings, are of any importance?

Astrophile

Up until I began to read and understand the Bible more, I virtually believed anything evolutionists said. Now I do not.
You may have believed what evolutionists said, but did you understand what they said and the evidence for their statements? If so, what was there about the Bible that made you reject this evidence?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The fact that humans (or at least some humans) do buy, make and sell crosses does not make us any less apes.
Maybe the chimps and bonobos are too spiritual to bedizen themselves in vulgar frippery and status markers. Their eyes are on the Lord and their charge to be caretakers of His creation. They're laying up their treasure in Heaven.

Maybe it's we who are the vulgar beasts.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You may have believed what evolutionists said, but did you understand what they said and the evidence for their statements? If so, what was there about the Bible that made you reject this evidence?
Inasmuch as she hasn't displayed any knowledge of the mechanisms or evidence of evolution, I suspect her 'belief' was largely faith-based. She abandoned it as soon as a more appealing mythology presented tself.

YoursTrue

I did not question what I learned in school about evolution because I believed they were teaching me the truth. I did not have questions about it for a long time.
Also, while I had a form of religion due to my parents, I didn't really get the idea about God, just letting it run off my back, so to speak. It was not until much later in my life that I began to believe what the Bible says about mankind and creation.
In reference to eggs, here is one point: "If the question refers to eggs in general, the egg came first. The first amniote egg—that is, a hard-shelled egg that could be laid on land, rather than remaining in water like the eggs of fish or amphibians—appeared around 312 million years ago." The article goes on, but it's quite interesting. Chicken or the egg - Wikipedia.

YoursTrue

Can you really look at the night sky, with the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way galaxy, and trillions of galaxies extending through a possibly infinite universe, and go on believing that the Earth, and human beings, are of any importance?
Yes, because we are thinking beings far in advance of gorillas and fish, etc., contemplating these things, insofar as I am concerned.
Notice how the psalmist put it:
"Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory in the heavens.
2Through the praise of children and infants
you have established a stronghold against your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4what is mankind that you are mindful of them,
human beings that you care for them?"

(Psalm 8 NIV)

So even the psalmist recognized that the universe is way beyond our capacity to understand, yet God considers the earth and its creation as very important.

Of course this question is addressed both to theists and to atheists. Both to those who believe in evolution and those who believe it's untrue.
Explain why you, through your intelligence, reason and mind developped the awareness and the conviction that Evolution is the historical truth.

If you are a theist, please explain the theological implications, as well.

I will underline that we are not talking about Intelligence Design, here: we are talking about Darwinian evolution based upon the Darwinian principles like natural selection, etc..etc...
Thank you for participating- ;)
I believe there will never be enough evidence for one that believes evolution is true, until they first deal with the root Belief of every atheists core belief! And that is...there is NO god! so then, No matter what evidence is shown or given that there is intelligent design, there will always be the perception that it is wrong.

Our world view determines our core beliefs.

To the one who Believes in God, it only makes logical and intelligent sense that with everything man has ever designed and imagined, to list simply a hand full, i.e. phones, vehicles, books, pencils, paper, computers, websites :) etc., that these were infact designed, made by intelligent thought, and not put together by accident or chance, and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong that a car, a book, computers etc., can thru millions, hey how about billions of years of chance can somehow create themselves......

So if these and the thousands of other things we (man) have created (logically speaking) could not come into being by chance, how in the world can anyone (logically speaking) believe that we humans, not to mention all the thousand of other living organisms, came into existence by CHANCE! The mathematical probability for that is so far beyond a number anyone could ever calculate, that is simply does not make sense to believe that. AND all this came into being (according to the evolution Theory, NOT SCIENCE) With no Purpose, no thought for BEING! Because if evolution which is really FAITH BASED is true, we came from nothing and we will all end up being............ NOTHING!

I am not saying this to insult you Estro, but really would like to know..........IF THAT IS THE CASE, that there is no God who has created and designed us for PURPOSE, where as we have a written account in which he clearly says that he did infact create us, and created us for a reason, WHY please tell me, why would anyone even CARE TO ASK the QUESTION Estro!

There is no hope in the belief of evolution, no sense of Purpose, no Future, except a for a few hard decades of existence then death! And our whole existence then ends up becoming NOTHING!

I don't want to live in that world, and that World View is the reason for so much hopelessness and fear in this world!

For God so LOVED the world that he gave his only Begotten Son, that whosoever would BELIEVE IN HIM, would not die (cease to exist) but have Everlasting life!.........What a promise of HOPE!

GardenLady

I believe there will never be enough evidence for one that believes evolution is true, until they first deal with the root Belief of every atheists core belief! And that is...there is NO god!

This assertion is appalling. It is false witness against hundreds of millions of people of faith, including the majority of Christians, who both are theists and accept the scientific evidence for evolution and deep time.

It is a denigration of the faith of many and is an out-and-out lie about them. Shame on you.

Viker

Häxan
What convinced me? Like maybe one thing?

I went to the chimp exhibit at the zoo when I was young. A chimp took a dump in front of all the humans and then threw his waste at us. Fortunately there was a glass screen in the way. No doubt, humans and chimps are closely related. I had similar experiences watching TV and movies as well. Just not with many chimps.