• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What brought you to your religion

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I don't know if its a worldview, really, but rather a practice I don't feel compelled to participate in, and that's arising at Brahma mahurta. Nope, nope, nope. I can stay up until that time... but I can't picture ever getting up that early voluntarily.

Definitely a practice, and I know what you mean about not wanting to get up that early. In my case, it would be good that I get up that early regularly so that my sleeping schedule is constant.

If there is anything that I don't like in the way of customs, it is the ancient patriarchal customs that are rooted in the perspective that men are more important than women and that the latter need to stay indoors and be wary about every man who is not her husband or relative. Fortunately, Hinduism knows how to evolve, change, and adapt without losing its grounding in eternal truths and eternal dharma.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm amazed you had another pregnancy and birth after the first one was autistic! Did you realize then that autism is genetic? It used to be at one time that mothers were accused of being "refrigerator mothers", but by the time we had Michael they knew better. We stopped sometime after our son was diagnosed as autistic at 2 1/2. We love Michael, but it is difficult to take care of an autistic child. Then you had another one! Our Michael is less difficult than many children, but still difficult. But we reason sometimes he is better off than children that talk, and get into drugs or other mayhem. Talking autistic children can be a pain sometimes. Michael is now almost 33, and still doesn't talk. What are your autistic children like? People on the spectrum are different from each other, I know. Never mind right now about the Baha'i Faith, I want to connect about our autistic children.

The first famous autistic person I knew was Temple Grandin. It is emphasized in the film about her that she thought in pictures. In what I read about her in real life, that much is true. When I was a teenager I told my father that I thought in pictures, and he didn't believe me. I was astonished. I had no idea what that meant at that time. Later in life I saw a TV movie about an autistic young boy who was supposedly cured who liked to spin plates. I thought hmmm. I'm all the time flipping nickels in the air. In 1991 my son was diagnosed and it wasn't until then that I suspected the truth. I have been informally diagnosed. Someone asked my wife and me questions and I was determined to somewhere on the spectrum. I don't know if I'm high functioning autistic or have Asperger's. Greta Thunberg says Asperger's is her superpower. Did Einstein haver Asperger's? Did Newton have Asperger's? There's no way to know now. From an early age I have been very good at Mathematics and Physics. There is a study where those of the same intelligence have been tested at mathematics between those who are on the spectrum and not on the spectrum and those on the spectrum had significantly higher mathematical intelligence. Furthermore they use a different part of the brain for mathematics.

There is no one gene for autism. What about you? Do you have any autism? I assume not, or you would have said so. But then, you may have a a little of it.

I had my eldest son, LeeAnder, when I was 21; it was an unexpected pregnancy with a person I wouldn't have deliberately chosen to have a child with(he was an angry person, and became abusive over time). We didn't really know anything was up until after age 2. He had some weird quirks; even as an infant, he'd fuss if a button on his clothes was undone, and as soon as he could walk, he ran around making sure all doors and cupboards were shut. He didn't play with toys, he played with spoons and broken phones. He didn't talk much. Occasionally, he'd talk a word or two. I remember hearing him say hello to the cat, and telling his dad this, but he didn't believe me. He could speak, he just chose not to, until about 7, when the wonderful world of politics fascinated him and he fretted to all who would hear it that the government was out to get his money. He's on the Asperger's end of things(though I don't think they use that term anymore). He had some OCD traits that got really messy. He about starved himself because there was always something wrong with his food. He would see bugs in it that wasn't there. He also got stressed over loud noises to the point that he would become violent. I remember he punched me in the back of the head once when I was driving because I was driving in the direction of town that had all the train tracks. He eventually learned to manage this fear, and we had his 12th birthday party at a park right next to the trainyard to celebrate.

I had my second son when LeeAnder was in first grade. I wasn't expecting spectrum issues again. After all, this was with my husband, so different genes. Well, Ares ended up being more profoundly affected, and totally different. While LeeAnder is hypersensitive, Ares is hyposensitive. He also has apraxia of speech. He is 7 now(he will be 8 this month), and still struggles with speech to a degree. He's made huge strides from where he was, but he still has some physical trouble manipulating his mouth and understanding sentence structure.

I remember the night I realized Ares was autistic, too. I told my husband, and he told me I was full of crap. I said some rude things back, and went to bed, and was over all my upset feelings on the topic by morning. I called the doctor so I could put him in the appropriate therapies. But man, did Ares ever put me through the wringer. There was a point where I couldn't take him in public because the meltdowns were so bad. Eventually, I found a few tricks that worked. A difficult part was there was no help and no advice. I could find almost nothing about hyposensitive autistic kids. The doctor ran out of ideas and sent me to a psychiatrist. The first one wanted to drug him up and send him off to a school that didn't perform to his level, simply because it would be easier on me. I left in horror. (Ares does fine academically.) The next one couldn't remember who he was when she saw him, and I wasn't impressed. So, I figured stuff out on my own.

After we figured out Ares was autistic, I kind of started putting together who had it in my family. I have an uncle who absolutely is on the spectrum; we just never really talked about it. I think dad is, too. We talked about it a few times... growing up, he said some of the rudest things. Looking back, I don't think he knew what he was saying was rude. He was just saying what he thought. He wasn't really able to factor in the emotions of others, and seemed surprised when people became upset. He also has a lot of special interests that became obsessions. I suspect he's on the Asperger's end.

I don't know if I am on the spectrum or not. I know most people consider me extremely eccentric. I asked mom if I was always like that, and if they'd considered that I may have been autistic. She said they didn't worry about my quirks because I got good grades. I didn't/don't like being touched by most people(my husband, children and grandmother are exceptions), and my parents hated that. I also have very little body language or facial expression, and this makes it hard for some people to like me very well.

How does your son communicate? Ares had to use a picture book until Covid hit and he got sent home from school. After he started doing his schooling at home, he slowly started talking. (We're not sending him back to public school.)

It was a shock when Yudhi, the youngest didn't have autism. We waited for the signs. THe speech therapist who worked with my other two sons was ready. The speech delay came. He had his appointment, and she said she didn't see a single sign of autism but that she suspected he was tongue tied. And he was! He had corrective surgery and his speech is coming along fine.

I don't really see autism as any great setback. We all have issues and problems somewhere. I actually worry more for LeeAnder than Ares, despite Ares being more profoundly affected. LeeAnder is broody, and he has a very bad temper. This will be a hard thing for him to overcome, though I will say we are seeing outbursts less frequently as he grows and learns to manage his behavior. He threw a computer through a window over the summer and when the gravity of what he did set in, he texted his therapist and set himself up an appointment, saying that he wanted to discuss his anger problem. Ares is extremely hyperactive and can be very hard to control, but he has a great attitude. Once he learns to harness his energy, he'll be fine. He may need speech therapy for a long time to come, but he'll make it work.

What paths has your son taken in life? How did you feel about the diagnosis? How did you feel learning you yourself had it?(If you don't mind me asking).

firedragon

Veteran Member
I'm just being courious.

What brought you to your religion?
What sets it apart from the others that intrigued you to choose that one?

What brought me to my religion is a big question. But in a very simplistic manner I can say birth. ;)

Anyway, what I think sets my theology apart is that it seems the most rational and logical. Some say "reasonable".

Suave

Simulated character
I'm just being courious.

My religion of Christian Matrixism was inspired by the sci-fi film the Matrix. This inspired me to at least consider the possibility of humankind living in a simulated reality. I seriously considered the simulation hypothesis to likely be true by following Nick Bostrom's reasoning as to why we are very likely living in a simulated reality.

Bostrom argues that at least ONE of the following propositions must be true:

(1) The human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage.

(2) Any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof).

(3) We are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

I accept Bostrom's third premise as most likely to be true, since there is a significant chance that a future generation of technologically advanced post-humans will run ancestor-simulations by powerful computers, then we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

Recent scientific discoveries such as computer code found in string theory affirm my religion of Christian Matrixism as having God well pegged as being a sims controller, a reality-based virtual reality programmer of human consciousness.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

It was in August 2020 when I was significantly drawn to Hinduism for the second time in my life. There were several factors that finally brought me to adopt Hinduism as my religion and way of life. One of them was a past spiritual experience that I had in a Hindu context. Another was that I found the teachings of certain Hindu scriptures to make wonderful sense of life, the world, and everything, kind of like how C. S. Lewis thought the same about Christianity (Alister McGrath, another Anglican and apologist, speaks the same way). A third factor was my attraction to the deities Gaṇeśa and Śiva and the overall beauty of Hinduism.

The Vedāntic idea that we are eternal souls in temporary bodies, and that the ultimate goal is not to live forever in a material world or even a celestial paradise that we would eventually find unfulfilling but to merge with Brahman, the Absolute, and have no need for anything ever again.

Last edited:

Clara Tea

I'm just being courious.

I firmly believe that many humans masquerade as helpers of God (perhaps reverends). I believe that many alter the common sense of various bibles.

Reverend Jim and Tammy Fay Bakker were apparently in it for greed.

Reverend Tex Watson (of the murderous Manson clan) clearly has not repented for helping to murder actress Sharon Tate in cold blood and murder her unborn child (et al).

Some phony preachers entice people to die of intentionally poisoned koolaid (Jim Jones cult). Other phony preachers tell people to donate all their money, then kill themselves to get their soul on a comet to orbit the sun.

President George W. Bush was elected by the Religious Right, then the Religious Right voted him to the presidency of the United States, but he was the war president who declared war against peaceful nations not linked to terrorism.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm just being courious.

The Oneness of God, the Oneness of the Mesengers and the oneness of humanity. Combined with the elimination of all predudices, the equality of women with men, while balancing our faith in God with scientific reason, was the attraction for me.

I see there is no turning back from those principles.

Regards Tony

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm just being courious.

I got to my kind of non-religion (Agnosticism) through reason.
I viewed what other systems of thought had to offer and discussed it with knowledgable and critical people. (And I'm still doing that occasionally on RF, true to my belief that no theory is final.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have no religion but i did. I was born into it, i.e. my parents and everyone we knew, friends, neighbours, relatives were all CofE

I left it because of the majority of church going people.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Were there any aspects of a Hindu worldview that were not yet (and perhaps not even now) aligned with your worldview?

There are aspects of Hinduism that aren't relevant to my worldview, such as Bhakti yoga, but I wouldn't say that Bhakti isn't aligned with my worldview. I just have no practical use for it.

By axionomical, do you mean 'of or pertaining to what is worthy of law?'

I mean expectations to believe in something that which is generally accepted as true.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
My worldview.

Turtles.

And the absence of axionomical expectations.

Primarily the latter.

Though I do like turtles.
I've had the distinction of stepping on a large snake and almost serving my foot for a snapping turtles lunch. It didn't make me say a prayer but I did offer some less than religious language.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I always felt connected to the G-d of Abraham, but Christianity never worked theologically to me. It never seemed to make sense. I tried it and tried it. From a young age (<10) I was always interested in Judaism and by 10 I'd decided I didn't believe the Jesus stuff anymore but the rest of the Bible was fine. Obviously years after this my backing and forthing with Christianity started when I was old enough to understand better the intricacies of religion. I tried various ones but none stuck for longer than a few months or so and I always went back to the G-d I'd felt connected to.

Eventually, through investigation, I landed at Noachidism/Judaism.

I guess I should have listened to 10 year old me. She didn't know much but I guess she knew her G-d.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't know if I've already asked you this, but what is it that makes one an orthodox Hindu? Is it upholding dharma and subscribing to one of the classical darśanas, albeit with modifications like in your case?

Sometimes, I wish I were a nontheistic Hindu so that you would not be the only one (apparently) on RF. :)
:D. No, kindly follow what suits you. No need to imitate me.
By orthodox, I mean I do not like changes, like the new gurus, babas are making - Yogeshwar saying that Kaliyga lasts only 2,400 years. Making people into Gods, Ramana, Shirdi Sai Baba, Puttaparthy Sai Baba and many more whom you do not know. Also, I consider Arya Samaj, Swaminarayan, Brahma Kumari, Mahanubhavas followers (Yogeshwar's sect) as spurious. I talk straight.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm just being courious.

I don't currently have a religion but I will answer with the religion that I spent 28 years in. I went to church for the first time in a long time after a bad break up with a boyfriend. I was gonna find a "nice" guy. I saw a friend who invited me to a singles event. They then had me watch "A Thief in the Night," a dorky 70s rapture movie and I decided to convert a few days after that. I don't think in the US that there is much exposure to other religions, so it's easy to think that it's Christianity or hell. Sad, but I think this is changing. I don't want other people to be pressured or scared into it, like I and so many others have been. And, I didn't find any nicer guys than on the outside. In fact, I dated a lot of church jerks.