• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What brought you to your religion

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Continued (the post was too long)

I had my second son when LeeAnder was in first grade. I wasn't expecting spectrum issues again. After all, this was with my husband, so different genes. Well, Ares ended up being more profoundly affected, and totally different. While LeeAnder is hypersensitive, Ares is hyposensitive. He also has apraxia of speech. He is 7 now(he will be 8 this month), and still struggles with speech to a degree. He's made huge strides from where he was, but he still has some physical trouble manipulating his mouth and understanding sentence structure.
I had also reasoned that my father's warning didn't apply to my wife and I since my family were Quaker's from way back to 10 generators, and the religious denomination hadn't grown and had stagnated. There must be some incest-like characteristics that had been passed down that caused genetic abnormalities. My wife was Hungarian-Slovenian from Eastern Europe, and my family was almost entirely English. Surely We would be okay.
I remember the night I realized Ares was autistic, too. I told my husband, and he told me I was full of crap. I said some rude things back, and went to bed, and was over all my upset feelings on the topic by morning. I called the doctor so I could put him in the appropriate therapies. But man, did Ares ever put me through the wringer. There was a point where I couldn't take him in public because the meltdowns were so bad. Eventually, I found a few tricks that worked. A difficult part was there was no help and no advice. I could find almost nothing about hyposensitive autistic kids. The doctor ran out of ideas and sent me to a psychiatrist. The first one wanted to drug him up and send him off to a school that didn't perform to his level, simply because it would be easier on me. I left in horror. (Ares does fine academically.) The next one couldn't remember who he was when she saw him, and I wasn't impressed. So, I figured stuff out on my own.
Your second son was worse. That was the reason, I guess, your first son who wasn't as bad wasn't your last child. The main problem really that made our son so difficult that he had a compulsion to run away from us at unexpected times. We had to make sure he couldn't get out of our condominium. He drove my wife crazy, and to keep her sanity Michael was sent to a group home. This turned out to be the best thing for him because he was taught by people who knew how to teach him to eat a larger variety of foods, to do more things for himself that he didn't do at home. They also watched him 24 hours to keep him safe. He has a sweet personality, though he is an impatient man.
After we figured out Ares was autistic, I kind of started putting together who had it in my family. I have an uncle who absolutely is on the spectrum; we just never really talked about it. I think dad is, too. We talked about it a few times... growing up, he said some of the rudest things. Looking back, I don't think he knew what he was saying was rude. He was just saying what he thought. He wasn't really able to factor in the emotions of others, and seemed surprised when people became upset. He also has a lot of special interests that became obsessions. I suspect he's on the Asperger's end.
I also have said things I didn't know was rude, but I am 70 now and catch myself when I'm about to do it usually. I have had trouble reading the emotions of others, but I have learned over time. I obsessed with games with numbers in class, not paying attention to what the teacher said. When I see a license plate I factor it into the prime numbers in it. Greta Thunberg says Asperger's is her superpower, part of that is obsession over climate climate change. Part of that is undoubtedly talent in the physics of the earth warming.
I don't know if I am on the spectrum or not. I know most people consider me extremely eccentric. I asked mom if I was always like that, and if they'd considered that I may have been autistic. She said they didn't worry about my quirks because I got good grades. I didn't/don't like being touched by most people(my husband, children and grandmother are exceptions), and my parents hated that. I also have very little body language or facial expression, and this makes it hard for some people to like me very well.
I've heard that touching can be part of it, and I am standoffish when it comes to hugs, but that's about it. The main thing is that I have not known the rules of being social. I don't understand why people ask me how I'm doing. It seems like meaningless ritual to me. People just say it and it means nothing. People just bandy words around without meaning it it looks like to me. When I say something it is only because it means something. I can also remember times when people have given me obvious signals in words or expressions and I was oblivious ti
How does your son communicate? Ares had to use a picture book until Covid hit and he got sent home from school. After he started doing his schooling at home, he slowly started talking. (We're not sending him back to public school.)
At one time, he used pictures. Now we sometimes know what he wants, sometimes not. Usually it gets figured out because his caretaker and us know him. He was taught to touch our left hand for yes, but I don't trust that any more. I ask him a question and he touches my left hand most of the time. A better signal is him thrusting out I think his left arm towards us. Then it's definite he means yes. I can't imagine the frustration he must feel that he is aunable to comm
I don't really see autism as any great setback. We all have issues and problems somewhere. I actually worry more for LeeAnder than Ares, despite Ares being more profoundly affected. LeeAnder is broody, and he has a very bad temper. This will be a hard thing for him to overcome, though I will say we are seeing outbursts less frequently as he grows and learns to manage his behavior.
I had outbursts of anger when young, but I didn't hurt anyone. The other kids would do something to make me angry and I would chase them, but I never harmed them. It was entertaining for them, because there were no consequences for them, and I put on quite a show, I hated kids when young. My Quaker upbringing perhaps led me to not harm anyone. (Quakers are pacifists). At 70 I have made progress in not getting angry, I don't how much of it is my doing.

When I look at Michael, I don't see him suffering, so I'm fine on that score. However, even before he was born I wanted a son to talk to, and it threw me for a loop that this was denied me. Now I have learned to accept this. That's the way of life isn't it, we adjus
What paths has your son taken in life? How did you feel about the diagnosis? How did you feel learning you yourself had it?(If you don't mind me asking).
i have been talking about this in this post. He is in a group home and they require him to do for himself what he can. He goes somewhere called Sunny Spot on weekdays and does little jobs.

As for myself, I'm glad I know what I am what I am, and to konw that some of it is beyond my control, but I can mitigate it.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was 37 when my son Michael was born. In contrast my wife is a loving person. We had tried for years to have a child, before Michael there was a miscarriage, and my wife grieved over that child partly because she was so excited to have that first child, partly because I was the father of that child. Before we got married my father told my wife and me not to have a baby because in my family there was something mysterious going on with my brothers. Something was wrong and they were sent all the way to NIH in Washington to find out what was wrong. My younger brother had trouble walking, I remember and was angry at my parents constantly, and also timid about life. He couldn't relate to women, he never married, never held a decent job in his life, and mercifully died in 2010. My older brother when he went to graduate school suddenly broke down completely. He was very slow in everything, he drove me crazy! As life went on he became paranoid, had little in the way of jobs, and never married like my other brother. He couldn't relate to women, and yearned until the end to have a wife. He mercifully died in 2017.

My wife didn't want a baby originally, wanted to adopt, but I wanted a biological connection. To please me we had Michael. In the early years after he was diagnosed she was understandably upset. Now she's proud I'm his father.

I'm 37 now! Is your wife much younger, or was she in her late 30s, too?

I'm really sorry to hear about the miscarriage. I think sometimes people feel I'm upset about having kids with special needs; I'm not. I'm just thankful I never had a miscarriage, and that my children are physically healthy.

Do you think what your brothers had was autism related?

I would like to adopt, even now. An older child, maybe between LeeAnder and Ares's age. That will never happen, though. It takes a lot of money, which I think is dumb. You create as many lives as you want, but unless you're rich, you can't step in and take care of another.

Initially, I was happy with just one child, but my husband wanted one of his own. And that's where Ares came in. After Ares was in school, I was fine with a third. I think he would like another one, but with homeschooling, I think it would be too much. I don't mean any ill towards him when I say this, but he isn't helpful with the kids in the least, and 4 would be a lot of work for me.

When we travelled to Florida to see my wife's family we stopped on the way in Georgia to visit friends, and they had a young toddler who was speaking though he was 6 months younger while Michael at age two wasn't talking. I was alarmed! There were warning signs before this but I had ignored them. One thing I noticed about Michael was that he would run back and forth outside, apparently looking at his reflection in the windows. Up until even age 16 when he left us he would eat very limited foods. Any other foods was poison to him. This reminds me of your son son starving over unacceptable food. He only would drink water. Anything else he would make a face, then refuse to drink anymore. He twirled plastic lids on the floor. I should have connected that to the TV show where this young boy twirled plates. He didn't advance in how he played with his toys. He said a few words when he was 6 - 9 months, then he stopped. He engaged with us in a lively way, then it was as if he didn't have that life any more. It was less obvious then, but we have pictures of him that show that. It snuck up on us gradually. I have heard that autism sets in at about 1 year old.

I remember being alarmed when I saw LeeAnder next to other kids, too. I learned to adjust my expectations, and celebrate his milestones, not the ones society wanted. "Oh? Your child is top in the class for reading? Excellent. My son has low marks, but he knows who the local school superintendent is, and has a well formed and educated opinion on her performance." He wanted spoons, we gave him spoons. As he got into electronics, it became more problematic, because he would get angry and break them. I liked the spoons better. He still breaks his stuff. He busted a computer monitor a few days ago.

Ares initially would only eat 4 foods. Rice(my husband called him Vanilla Rice because he ate so much of it), yogurt, bananas, and ramen noodles. It stressed me out to no end. However, in the last decade, they've started something called 'feeding therapy'. It wasn't around when LeeAnder was little. However, it worked wonders for Ares. It took a lot of time, but slowly he began to eat a fuller palate. He eats like a normal kid now. Yudhi also had to go through food therapy, but that was regarding his tongue tie and not autism.

I'm really happy none of my kids did the regression thing. It was always kind of there. I can't imagine the panic that would make a parent feel. My kids didn't engage with others, but they engaged with me. I often mimicked their play. I still do. I think this helped me interact with them. As LeeAnder grew, he would engage with other adults, but not kids. He didn't care for other kids. He would call them 'the children' or 'my peers' with a sneer on his face. Ares likes older kids and adults. He doesn't like kids his age unless they're really rough. He is very strong, and I think he knows kids are fragile. He would bully his teachers and staff, but never the other kids when he was in school. I think he knew the adults could take a box to the head, while a kid can't. He is very rough to LeeAnder(who hates that), but is almost always gentle with Yudhi(other than the occasional spat over a Hot Wheels car).

I am ignorant about the difference between autism and Asperger's. I looked up descriptions of both and couldn't tell them apart. I saw a psychiatrist who was substituting for one day and his impression was that I had Asperger's. I hadn't even suggested I was on the spectrum. That is a sna judgement, however.

Honestly, me too. I don't think they officially use the term Asperger's anymore. Its just considered part of the autism spectrum. I thought it was a helpful term, though. When I first was confronted that LeeAnder was not developing averagely, the term Asperger's fit better. When I thought autism, I thought about the people I worked with in the group home who were severely afflicted. (I worked in a group home for the handicapped for over a decade.) Asperger's fit much better.

Your second son was worse. That was the reason, I guess, your first son who wasn't as bad wasn't your last child. The main problem really that made our son so difficult that he had a compulsion to run away from us at unexpected times. We had to make sure he couldn't get out of our condominium. He drove my wife crazy, and to keep her sanity Michael was sent to a group home.

Wow! Ares does this, too! We have to put a padlock on our front door or he'll run out the door. We've also got optional locks on our back door(which goes only into a fenced in yard) and our kitchen. Ares tends to 'cycle' with his bad behaviors, and he may play happily in the yard most days. But on some bad days, he'll jump into the dog side of the yard(we keep them separated because they're big dogs with big turds to be stepped in). I give him a warning, and if he doesn't comply, I get out my keys and lock up the sliding door(the locks were specially installed for him). The kitchen isn't usually a problem anymore, but he used to go out there and dump food on the floor just to get a reaction out of people.

When Ares does get out the front door, he'll try to run away, laughing, and I act like I don't care, get out my keys, and tell him I'm not chasing him, I'm just going to go live in the nice house in New Jersey I found on the internet. "No! Not Mom-mom New Jersey!" he'll yell at me, and he'll come collect me and take me back in the house before I can get away.

Most of my methods that work with him are very strange, and very unconventional. I sometimes think everything in my life led up to me being a parent of autistic children. The work in the group home gave me a bit of insight. Also, it sounds weird to say, but the fact I never wanted a career was immensely helpful. I worked and paid bills, but I was happy doing just that. I never had any big ambitions. I actually turned down a scholarship because I didn't have a desire to go to college. If I had wanted a career, Ares would have ruined it. Daycares wouldn't have taken him(my dad tried to put him in once for me, so I could have a break a few hours a day, but they kicked him out after a week). I would have been devastated. But! I didn't want it, so I'm fine! I was also used to not being an oddball, so my kids being different didn't bother me either. Lastly, the powers that be gave me a nature that doesn't upset easily, and a detachment from material goods. Kid busts the couch? Whatever. Its just a couch. We'll buy a new one(or, as we often do, find one on the side of the road). Sometimes, this attitude keeps me from bonding well with other adults, though. They want me to have big goals and to find happiness in stuff, and when I can't... well, there isn't much to talk about. My family often looks at me "how does he not drive you crazy?" I just tell them he doesn't(because he really doesn't), but that our society kind of does, and then they laugh(but I'm being serious).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I also have said things I didn't know was rude, but I am 70 now and catch myself when I'm about to do it usually. I have had trouble reading the emotions of others, but I have learned over time. I obsessed with games with numbers in class, not paying attention to what the teacher said. When I see a license plate I factor it into the prime numbers in it. Greta Thunberg says Asperger's is her superpower, part of that is obsession over climate climate change. Part of that is undoubtedly talent in the physics of the earth warming.

I didn't pay attention to the teacher, either, often. I wish they'd jazz up their lessons. They always say there's something wrong with the kid for not paying attention, but I think it can sometimes be that the material is just straight boring. Why should I care about what they're teaching? I did well in school, despite this. I just wanted to do my work so I could read and draw with the free time at the end of class.

I've heard that touching can be part of it, and I am standoffish when it comes to hugs, but that's about it. The main thing is that I have not known the rules of being social. I don't understand why people ask me how I'm doing. It seems like meaningless ritual to me. People just say it and it means nothing. People just bandy words around without meaning it it looks like to me. When I say something it is only because it means something. I can also remember times when people have given me obvious signals in words or expressions and I was oblivious ti

I don't like the 'how are you' thing, either. I do ask it, though. But in my case, I really do want to know. And I'll press a person to tell me. And for whatever reason, they usually do. People sometimes tell me a lot. Maybe its because I do want to know. But... if they ask me how I am... I also. If they don't want to know, they'll learn not to ask. If its a person I don't want to tell(because I am not comfortable telling them), I simply say "same ****, different day".

At one time, he used pictures. Now we sometimes know what he wants, sometimes not. Usually it gets figured out because his caretaker and us know him. He was taught to touch our left hand for yes, but I don't trust that any more. I ask him a question and he touches my left hand most of the time. A better signal is him thrusting out I think his left arm towards us. Then it's definite he means yes. I can't imagine the frustration he must feel that he is aunable to comm

It has got to be frustrating not being able to communicate. Ares spent so much time not being able to communicate that I think this is some of his impulse problem. Why are you trying to run out the door? Oh. You left your phone in the car. (its a non working phone). Just say "I want my phone." Its all practice, though. He's come a long way.

made progress in not getting angry, I don't how much of it is my doing.

When I look at Michael, I don't see him suffering, so I'm fine on that score. However, even before he was born I wanted a son to talk to, and it threw me for a loop that this was denied me. Now I have learned to accept this. That's the way of life isn't it, we adjus

I know what you mean. I feel a lot of joy that Ares is a happy kid. I take care of him now, and I feel one day he will take care of me. He's very loving, even though he is very difficult. I feel sad that LeeAnder often is unhappy, though that's not autism related. I wish I could help more. Some things will just take an attitude adjustment, and some is teenaged hormones. He's come a long way, too, though. I hope he keeps progressing. And Yudhi is just as happy as a clam in mud. He loves his autistic brothers, and doesn't know anything different. Its cute to hear him boss Ares around. "Ares! Stop it! Get out the street!" Happiness is all i really want for the kids.

I'm sorry you didn't get to talk to your son like you wanted. I am really happy to hear you adjusted and accepted, though. Some never do.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Now why would God let that happen?o_O
The Issue of Sovereignty developed.
When Adam broke God's Law that was as if Adam was taking the Law out of God's hands and placing the law into man's hands. Adam thus set up People Rule as being superior to God Rule. Only time would settle that issue.
Plus, by way of extension Satan Not only challenged Job but all of us - Job 2:4-5.
Touch our 'flesh...' (loose physical health) and we would Not serve God.
Under adverse conditions both Job and Jesus proved Satan a liar and so can we.

Segev Moran

I'm just being courious.

What brought you to your religion?
What sets it apart from the others that intrigued you to choose that one?
I was born Jewish, so that is a major boost to be interested in the Jewish teachings,
but throughout the years I've learnt a lot of the spiritual world not related to it.
It was more of an examination of the things in front of reality.
A few years back, I was an atheist, Yet the Hebrew language intrigued me.
I know a bit Aramaic (read, not speak), and even less Arabic.
Quran is based on the bible, the bible is based on the OT.
So naturally, the OT was what I wanted to start with.
To my surprise, many of the Jewish philosophies, are accurately describing reality as we know it.
Science, more surprisingly, is quickly learning that our reality is not what we think and many ideas that were considered impossible, are now even probable.

firedragon

Veteran Member
My religion of Christian Matrixism was inspired by the sci-fi film the Matrix. This inspired me to at least consider the possibility of humankind living in a simulated reality. I seriously considered the simulation hypothesis to likely be true by following Nick Bostrom's reasoning as to why we are very likely living in a simulated reality.

Bostrom argues that at least ONE of the following propositions must be true:

(1) The human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage.

(2) Any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof).

(3) We are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

I accept Bostrom's third premise as most likely to be true, since there is a significant chance that a future generation of technologically advanced post-humans will run ancestor-simulations by powerful computers, then we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

Recent scientific discoveries such as computer code found in string theory affirm my religion of Christian Matrixism as having God well pegged as being a sims controller, a reality-based virtual reality programmer of human consciousness.

Thanks Suave.

Truthseeker

I'm 37 now! Is your wife much younger, or was she in her late 30s, too?
My wife is about 4 years younger than me.
I'm really sorry to hear about the miscarriage. I think sometimes people feel I'm upset about having kids with special needs; I'm not. I'm just thankful I never had a miscarriage, and that my children are physically healthy.
Well, I think we see things a bit differently. The child that was miscarriaged is better off than than I am at this moment, because he/she is in the next world already, and I'm still here. The next world in the Baha'i Faith is a wondrous place. I'm thankful, though, that Michael has a good disposition.
Do you think what your brothers had was autism related?
I have no idea. If they had some autism it was in addition to their other symptoms probably. My mother and her father may have possibly had autism. My mother told my wife of a time when she ran to to hug her father, and he threw her aside and said "don't do that again". I knew my grandfather, he radiated a gentleness to me, I could tell he loved me, though he never said it. So I speculate that he was sensitive to touch. As an aside, I don't understand why my mother told my wife this and never me told me this. My mother wasn't very social as far as I could tell. My memories are dim of her as she died in 2000 and also I didn't know how social she was with others than the family. She never told me she loved me till she followed the example of my wife. As she was dying, she said she loved me so much, and I have no doubt that was sincere. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same.
I would like to adopt, even now. An older child, maybe between LeeAnder and Ares's age. That will never happen, though. It takes a lot of money, which I think is dumb. You create as many lives as you want, but unless you're rich, you can't step in and take care of another.
That is also one of the reasons I didn't want to adopt, we have always been cash-strapped.
Initially, I was happy with just one child, but my husband wanted one of his own. And that's where Ares came in. After Ares was in school, I was fine with a third. I think he would like another one, but with homeschooling, I think it would be too much. I don't mean any ill towards him when I say this, but he isn't helpful with the kids in the least, and 4 would be a lot of work for me.
Your husband is just like me in wanting one of my own. I loved to do some things with Michael when he was young, like give him a bath, then after this say the same Baha'i devotions every time. I read Goldilocks and the three bears and such to him. But the practical things I left to my
He still breaks his stuff. He busted a computer monitor a few days ago.
Oh, my! I don't know how you can be content with a child is such a problem. I never had to deal with a problem like that with Michael. And you have two that as far as I can tell are more of a problem than Michael was.
Ares initially would only eat 4 foods. Rice(my husband called him Vanilla Rice because he ate so much of it), yogurt, bananas, and ramen noodles. It stressed me out to no end. However, in the last decade, they've started something called 'feeding therapy'. It wasn't around when LeeAnder was little. However, it worked wonders for Ares. It took a lot of time, but slowly he began to eat a fuller palate. He eats like a normal kid now.
Let's see, Michael left home about 16 years ago, so "feeding therapy" wasn't available then. Th
As LeeAnder grew, he would engage with other adults, but not kids. He didn't care for other kids. He would call them 'the children' or 'my peers' with a sneer on his face.
I didn't care for kids either, I preferred adults. I don't know about Michael since he doesn't talk.
Honestly, me too. I don't think they officially use the term Asperger's anymore. Its just considered part of the autism spectrum. I thought it was a helpful term, though. When I first was confronted that LeeAnder was not developing averagely, the term Asperger's fit better. When I thought autism, I thought about the people I worked with in the group home who were severely afflicted. (I worked in a group home for the handicapped for over a decade.) Asperger's fit much better.
You provided a service to handicapped kids, and it providently helped you later. You are a kind soul. My wife worked with handicapped kids, mostly autistic, but that was after Michael left. I'm not putting her down, she's a caring person. She takes care of me though I am honestly
Wow! Ares does this, too! We have to put a padlock on our front door or he'll run out the door. We've also got optional locks on our back door(which goes only into a fenced in yard) and our kitchen. Ares tends to 'cycle' with his bad behaviors, and he may play happily in the yard most days. But on some bad days, he'll jump into the dog side of the yard(we keep them separated because they're big dogs with big turds to be stepped in). I give him a warning, and if he doesn't comply, I get out my keys and lock up the sliding door(the locks were specially installed for him). The kitchen isn't usually a problem anymore, but he used to go out there and dump food on the floor just to get a reaction out of people.
Maybe this is a more common trait than I ever knew! This is on top for you, though, of other problems with your two autistic kids.
Also, it sounds weird to say, but the fact I never wanted a career was immensely helpful. I worked and paid bills, but I was happy doing just that. I never had any big ambitions. I actually turned down a scholarship because I didn't have a desire to go to college. If I had wanted a career, Ares would have ruined it.
Providence again! In my life I just wanted to get by with my career but that was because I knew that was all I could do with my limitations. A different situation but neither ambitious. But I think you are a ambitious person to take care of those children, and are doing a great service.

Truthseeker

I didn't pay attention to the teacher, either, often. I wish they'd jazz up their lessons. They always say there's something wrong with the kid for not paying attention, but I think it can sometimes be that the material is just straight boring. Why should I care about what they're teaching? I did well in school, despite this. I just wanted to do my work so I could read and draw with the free time at the end of class.
I didn't say this until now, but I also had bad attention deficit when I was young. It got better as I got older. I was struggling badly in the initial University, but when a few years passed I went to different University and graduated Summa Cum Laude. However, My ADD was still bad enough along with my autism that I didn't perform very well in my jobs. I was laid off finally for good in January 2001, at nearly 50 and haven't worked since.
I don't like the 'how are you' thing, either. I do ask it, though. But in my case, I really do want to know. And I'll press a person to tell me. And for whatever reason, they usually do. People sometimes tell me a lot. Maybe its because I do want to know. But... if they ask me how I am... I also. If they don't want to know, they'll learn not to ask. If its a person I don't want to tell(because I am not comfortable telling them), I simply say "same ****, different day".
I realize sometimes people are really interested in how I'm doing, but it still seems like a ritual. I just go through with the ritual, and say "fine". Or I say "hi" which is another ritual in return. Sometimes I say nothing at all. By the way you used asterisks for a profanity and recently I said a profanity with out the asterisks, and later found that there were asterisks there. I had broken a rule here and a moderator edited it.
know what you mean. I feel a lot of joy that Ares is a happy kid. I take care of him now, and I feel one day he will take care of me. He's very loving, even though he is very difficult.
Michael will never take care of anybody. We will have to take care of ourselves, though after my wife, if she dies before me, I will probably end in an assisted living home or nursing home because I have always been so poor at taking care of myself even if I am not handicapped physically then. I am mentally handicapped, which can be mitigated, but not solved. I have not done enough to mitigate them.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have no idea. If they had some autism it was in addition to their other symptoms probably. My mother and her father may have possibly had autism. My mother told my wife of a time when she ran to to hug her father, and he threw her aside and said "don't do that again". I knew my grandfather, he radiated a gentleness to me, I could tell he loved me, though he never said it. So I speculate that he was sensitive to touch. As an aside, I don't understand why my mother told my wife this and never me told me this. My mother wasn't very social as far as I could tell. My memories are dim of her as she died in 2000 and also I didn't know how social she was with others than the family. She never told me she loved me till she followed the example of my wife. As she was dying, she said she loved me so much, and I have no doubt that was sincere. Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same.

Yes, it does sound like your grandfather could have well been sensitive to touch. I always was, but my parents just interpreted me as "being a mean old ****"(I overheard my mother calling me this to my toddler sister, and it bothered me that that was what she really thought of me.)

Your husband is just like me in wanting one of my own. I loved to do some things with Michael when he was young, like give him a bath, then after this say the same Baha'i devotions every time. I read Goldilocks and the three bears and such to him.

This is really quite beautiful. :)

Oh, my! I don't know how you can be content with a child is such a problem. I never had to deal with a problem like that with Michael. And you have two that as far as I can tell are more of a problem than Michael was.

I've been blessed with the fact I don't get too excited over broken things. Honestly, anger bothers me more than the stuff. I don't like to hear the outburst before he breaks something, and I don't like hearing the commotion after, but I don't really care that the item is broken. Ares ripped a few pieces off the couch recently, too. He wasn't trying to be naughty... he was just curious how it went together. I did dread hearing my husband get upset about it, though. I figure why get upset? It won't put the item back together. Besides, Ares is more likely to break something in the future for a reaction if he knows you were upset the first time. On an upside, because I so seldom do get upset, that on the rare occasion I lose my cool, Ares sure listens.

Let's see, Michael left home about 16 years ago, so "feeding therapy" wasn't available then. Th

There are a lot of things available now that weren't then. Even between LeeAnder and Ares there has been a big difference in services that can be offered.

I didn't care for kids either, I preferred adults. I don't know about Michael since he doesn't talk.

Me too.

You provided a service to handicapped kids, and it providently helped you later. You are a kind soul. My wife worked with handicapped kids, mostly autistic, but that was after Michael left. I'm not putting her down, she's a caring person. She takes care of me though I am honestly

I started my job at 17. I left at 27 to become a domestic engineer(homemaker). LeeAnder was around, of course, but I had no idea at that point autism would bless me twice. Your wife sounds like a wonderful person.

Maybe this is a more common trait than I ever knew! This is on top for you, though, of other problems with your two autistic kids.

I don't know if its common or not. I don't know very many people with autistic kids. Actually, just you, now! I do have a friend with an autistic brother. He used to run outside when they were younger, often naked(he's in a group home now).

Providence again! In my life I just wanted to get by with my career but that was because I knew that was all I could do with my limitations. A different situation but neither ambitious. But I think you are a ambitious person to take care of those children, and are doing a great service.

I had ambitions, they just weren't the ones society wanted me to have. And I'm glad I was comfortable enough to go along with what I wanted, rather than what others wanted for me.

I didn't say this until now, but I also had bad attention deficit when I was young. It got better as I got older. I was struggling badly in the initial University, but when a few years passed I went to different University and graduated Summa Cum Laude. However, My ADD was still bad enough along with my autism that I didn't perform very well in my jobs. I was laid off finally for good in January 2001, at nearly 50 and haven't worked since.

What did you study in school? What was your career path while you had it?

I realize sometimes people are really interested in how I'm doing, but it still seems like a ritual. I just go through with the ritual, and say "fine". Or I say "hi" which is another ritual in return. Sometimes I say nothing at all. By the way you used asterisks for a profanity and recently I said a profanity with out the asterisks, and later found that there were asterisks there. I had broken a rule here and a moderator edited it.

I'm not very good about rituals I can't find meaning in. I have recently started saying nothing to people when they text me and I don't want to talk to them. This time of year is hard for me, because I don't like the American holiday season, because I don't understand why I have to participate in rituals I find pointless or uncomfortable. I do them for my grandmother and my uncle, but I don't think I would otherwise.

If you type a swear word all the way through, the swear filter automatically puts asterisks there. If you type any of the letters out so it suggests what the swear word is, someone may edit it.

Michael will never take care of anybody. We will have to take care of ourselves, though after my wife, if she dies before me, I will probably end in an assisted living home or nursing home because I have always been so poor at taking care of myself even if I am not handicapped physically then. I am mentally handicapped, which can be mitigated, but not solved. I have not done enough to mitigate them.

I am glad you and your wife have each other, at least. It sounds like you both love each other very much.

I think sometimes taking care of oneself can be hard.

Truth&Hope

Jesus Freak
I'm just being courious.

I was a Christian at birth, and I embraced it as Truth. At one period extremely bad time in my life I got mad at God and decided to dabble in witchcraft, astrology, and all things of sorcery. I even read Anton Levey's Satanic bible and his daughter's book The Satanic Witch. That didn't last long, it was against everything I believed to be true. I thought it was kind of silly, and stupid. Please I mean no offense, I respect anyone else's beliefs, I just couldn't think of another word.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I'm just being courious.

I didn't choose Deism. It just hit me like a line squall. And it didn't come with gifts of wonderful heavens and stuff, it only offers afterwards what there was before.... dust. It's not a belief for anybody shopping for an afterlife. :)

muhammad_isa

I became a Muslim 45 years ago in my 20's when I became a father.
I had met Muslims in Birmingham UK and began to read the OT as I recognised that the dietary laws were almost identical, and
I started to question the Christian beliefs that I was raised with.

Truthseeker

What did you study in school? What was your career path while you had it?
While I was a Guilford College in North Carolina I majored in Physics. However after the first semester as a Junior I dropped out. For some reason I lost interest in every course in the semester except for Thermodynamic Physics. One factor was my brother wasn't there as a roommate. I had also failed the second semester of Electromagnetic Physics in my sophomore year. This was because all of the instruction in that course was oral in class, and I didn't pay much attention because of ADD. There was no book to read.

Later, after my family moved to Xenia, Ohio, I went to Wright State University and majored in Mathematics because my failure in Physics left me a little traumatized. I also took Computer Science courses as a path to employment later. As I said earlier I did very well at this second University.

After I graduated with a degree in Mathematics I looked for a job as a computer programmer. I am very poor at interviews, I didn't like tooting my own horn and have always been bad at expressing myself verbally. Finally after over a year I got a job because my academic credentials were so good.

Without tracing my whole path, I ended up in January 2001 being laid off as scan plan writer primarily. As a scan plan writer I wrote routine programs to operate robotic machines to scan Air Force engine parts with eddy current to detect small cracks in the part. This was called retirement for cause. Previously after a certain time had passed the engine part was retired regardless.

This was the end of my career. The kind of programming I used was routine and was to be soon replaced with software that would automatically write the program, a kind of AI. Also there was little for me to do at that time, so I was like a disposable part. Previously I only wrote in the Fortran computer language, and now it was obsolete. In addition, now they required a degree in Computer Science. I never got an interview even. If I had had an interview, I would have have done poorly anyway.

Fortunately for me, my wife kept applying for disability insurance until it came through. In addition, my mother had just died and left a trust for my brothers and me.

That's my academic and career path.
This time of year is hard for me, because I don't like the American holiday season, because I don't understand why I have to participate in rituals I find pointless or uncomfortable. I do them for my grandmother and my uncle, but I don't think I would otherwise.

If you type a swear word all the way through, the swear filter automatically puts asterisks there. If you type any of the letters out so it suggests what the swear word is, someone may edit it.
Yes, I heard you live in Iowa from @Trailblazer in a conversation. She has been my best friend along with my wife. I have known her since January 2013 online. Yes, something like Christmas would seem like a pointless ritual to you. I don't find that much meaning in it any more myself but my wife who is also a Baha'i enjoys it. When I was kid the meaning for me was presents under the tree.

I wrote the word bull**** without the asterisks. Its obvious what the asterisks mean. Maybe you should moderate that now.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
While I was a Guilford College in North Carolina I majored in Physics. However after the first semester as a Junior I dropped out. For some reason I lost interest in every course in the semester except for Thermodynamic Physics. One factor was my brother wasn't there as a roommate. I had also failed the second semester of Electromagnetic Physics in my sophomore year. This was because all of the instruction in that course was oral in class, and I didn't pay much attention because of ADD. There was no book to read.

Later, after my family moved to Xenia, Ohio, I went to Wright State University and majored in Mathematics because my failure in Physics left me a little traumatized. I also took Computer Science courses as a path to employment later. As I said earlier I did very well at this second University.

After I graduated with a degree in Mathematics I looked for a job as a computer programmer. I am very poor at interviews, I didn't like tooting my own horn and have always been bad at expressing myself verbally. Finally after over a year I got a job because my academic credentials were so good.

Without tracing my whole path, I ended up in January 2001 being laid off as scan plan writer primarily. As a scan plan writer I wrote routine programs to operate robotic machines to scan Air Force engine parts with eddy current to detect small cracks in the part. This was called retirement for cause. Previously after a certain time had passed the engine part was retired regardless.

This was the end of my career. The kind of programming I used was routine and was to be soon replaced with software that would automatically write the program, a kind of AI. Also there was little for me to do at that time, so I was like a disposable part. Previously I only wrote in the Fortran computer language, and now it was obsolete. In addition, now they required a degree in Computer Science. I never got an interview even. If I had had an interview, I would have have done poorly anyway.

Fortunately for me, my wife kept applying for disability insurance until it came through. In addition, my mother had just died and left a trust for my brothers and me.

That's my academic and career path.

Wow! I hadn't known that career path existed, let alone that it would be replaced with AI. It seems like everything is anymore... Its kind of scary. I'm glad your wife was able to get your disability to come through.

Yes, I heard you live in Iowa from @Trailblazer in a conversation. She has been my best friend along with my wife. I have known her since January 2013 online. Yes, something like Christmas would seem like a pointless ritual to you. I don't find that much meaning in it any more myself but my wife who is also a Baha'i enjoys it. When I was kid the meaning for me was presents under the tree.

I think its great you and @Trailblazer have been friends for so long. :) I've seen the two of you share a lot on here.

Does Christmas have much significance to a Baha'i?

I wrote the word bull**** without the asterisks. Its obvious what the asterisks mean. Maybe you should moderate that now.

The software picked it up. Its fine.

Truthseeker

Does Christmas have much significance to a Baha'i?
We recognize Christ as a Manifestation of God so it depends on the individual Baha'i what they do about it. Technically, if our family observes Christmas we are supposed to observe it with them. I have no Christian family members any more. Actually, Christmas for me lost a lot of significance for me when my mother died in 2000, though my younger brother remained a Christian until he died in 2010. We didn't really celebrate Christmas together. My older brother was a Baha'i like me. He preceded me as a Baha'i.

My wife has no relatives nearby, so she is not obligated to observe Christmas. Her parents are dead, too. Her sister and two brothers live elsewhere. But Christmas still means something to her. Until recently, she had activities with secular Franciscans, which is an order with the Catholics. She did it for the fellowship, and through them she could do service to people. She was baptized a Catholic at birth, but she never believed in it. It never made any sense to her.

As for myself, I was raised as a Quaker, but my parents didn't bother to talk about Christianity or Quaker at home, and depended on Sunday school to teach those things. They made a mistake there. My ADD meant I paid little attention to what was said in Sunday school. What I remember most vividly was as a liberal Christian denomination they had one class for Muhammad I remember, and I was sympathetic to his story. They had another one about basic Buddhist teachings, and they made sense to me. This all set me up to recognize the principle of the oneness of the Manifestations of God. I recognize Krishna also. There are varied beliefs in Hinduism, and I recognize that Hinduism is not regarded to have a single origin. The strength of Hinduism is it's tolerance of different beliefs within Hinduism, and for many over history tolerance for non-Hindu religions.