• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Just finished Yosl Rakover talks to God

A very interesting little book. It is in 2 parts the first is a work of fiction, written by Zvi Kolitz, about the life of a Jewish man in the ghetto of Warsaw, during world war 2. It confronts the violence he both witnessed and perpetrated, and his love hate relationship with his god. It was written originally in yiddish in 1946, which explains the rawness of it, and also explains the second part of the book which, which is the true story of how, either willfully or incidently the testament of Yosl Rakover was passed off as a true story and subsequently took on a life of it's own.

Smoke

Done here.
julian.jpg

Adrian Murdoch, The Last Pagan: Julian the Apostate and the Death of the Ancient World.

xkatz

I am trying to get into "American Taliban" by Pearl Abraham, but I have only gotten into the first few pages.

Last edited:

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Imma read Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. My mom bought it for me at a garage sale. :D I haven't really started yet, except some of the introduction. I plan to read lots more once skool is over. :danana:

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I'm currently reading "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time" by Marcus Borg, "Tao Te Ching" and "Hua Hu Ching", and "Monster Blood Tattoo- Foundling" by DM Cornish

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Just finished Yosl Rakover talks to God

A very interesting little book. It is in 2 parts the first is a work of fiction, written by Zvi Kolitz, about the life of a Jewish man in the ghetto of Warsaw, during world war 2. It confronts the violence he both witnessed and perpetrated, and his love hate relationship with his god. It was written originally in yiddish in 1946, which explains the rawness of it, and also explains the second part of the book which, which is the true story of how, either willfully or incidently the testament of Yosl Rakover was passed off as a true story and subsequently took on a life of it's own.

Wow, that sounds VERY interesting. I'll have to add that to my Kindle list.

Kathryn

I am currently reading two books - both of them pretty hilarious.

The first is "In A Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It's about Australia. It's his usual really funny stuff, but also as usual interspersed with lots of cool facts. I've caught myself laughing out loud several times.

I also just ordered "PS Your Cat Is Dead." This GEM of a book was lost to me for many years because I had remembered the title wrong.

Finally I did a phrase search of "cat burglar God Fleet Enema" and BAM - found the book!

Yes, all those topics and more are captured in this hilarious book about a guy who has nothing to lose. He's lost his job, he's breaking up with his girlfriend, his crappy apartment has been broken into twice in the past few months, and his cat is desperately ill and hospitalized. Plus it's Christmastime.

He wakes up one night to find a cat burglar in his kitchen. Something in him snaps and he catches the guy and ties him to the kitchen table. Turns out that this guy has a life that is actually MORE pathetic than the main character.

This book was made into a very successful play and is just as funny and irreverent as it was when it was written in 1971. Truly nothing is sacred.

I was THRILLED to find it!

Smoke

Done here.
I am currently reading two books - both of them pretty hilarious.

The first is "In A Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson. It's about Australia. It's his usual really funny stuff, but also as usual interspersed with lots of cool facts. I've caught myself laughing out loud several times.
I love Bill Bryson. I think you've mentioned liking him before. If you haven't already, you should get Barbara Holland's Hail to the Chiefs. I think you'd like it.

I'm reading

restak.jpg

Richard Restak, M.D., Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot: Unleashing Your Brain's Potential.

Kathryn

I love Bill Bryson. I think you've mentioned liking him before. If you haven't already, you should get Barbara Holland's Hail to the Chiefs. I think you'd like it.

I'm reading

restak.jpg

Richard Restak, M.D., Mozart's Brain and the Fighter Pilot: Unleashing Your Brain's Potential.

Dang it, the Barbara Holland book you recommended isn't available on my Kindle. However, several of her books are. I'm considering two of them - "Gentlemen's Blood" (about dueling) and "The Joy of Drinking."

Have you read either of those before? If so - do you have a favorite or another of her books to recommend?

Smoke

Done here.
Dang it, the Barbara Holland book you recommended isn't available on my Kindle. However, several of her books are. I'm considering two of them - "Gentlemen's Blood" (about dueling) and "The Joy of Drinking."

Have you read either of those before? If so - do you have a favorite or another of her books to recommend?
The only other book of hers that I've read is Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences, which I liked. But based on those two I'd take a chance on anything she wrote.

jsimms435

I'm reading
"Kings, Prophets and History: A New Look at the Old Testament" by Josephine Kamm and "So Much More: An Invitation to Christian Spirituality" by Debra Rienstra and just for fun "Dark Harbor" by David Hosp

tarasan

Im currently trying to get through Christian theologies of scripture.

edited by Justin S. Holcomb

its fun